Author Topic: **John Romano's Questionable Commentary**  (Read 13894 times)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
**John Romano's Questionable Commentary**
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »
I just finished listening to the replay of this weeks PBBW and I have to say I was taken aback by some of the disparaging comments made about Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia, particularly those by MD's Seniour Editor. With all due respect to John Romano, especially considering that he's an industry name and I'm an internet nobody, his take on Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia were shocking.

Ronnie Coleman losing the Olympia would be the best thing for bodybuilding? Force him to compete more than once a year? The Olympia will be boring? Not to mention Chick's comment that everyone is bored to tears watching it???? EXCUSE ME????

These have to be some of the most upsetting and ass-backwards things I've heard in my life!

First off, Ronnie Coleman is the greatest bodybuilder this sport has ever known. It is a treat and a thrill to see him compete at the Olympia every year and win. He does so becuase he's head and shoulders above everyone else. We have never seen his combination of size, conditioning, and muscularity, and it's likely we never will again after he retires. That said, him losing wouldn't be the best thing to happen to bodybuilding. Since Coleman is obviously the best bodybuilder in the world, him losing would amount to a bullshit decision based on politics and not physiques. Sadly, I always thought MD was agaisnt BS.

Secondly, forcing the top 5 or 6 at the Olympia to requalify would be another mistake. Everyone talks about how its difficult to peak for multiple shows a year. If this is true, how would it make sense to have the best in the world showing up at less than their best? This would just downgrade the quality and prestige of the Mr. Olympia contest. It's far better to have the top 5 or 6 save themselves for the big dance where it really matters.

Having the reigning Mr. Olympia compete more than once would be even worse. Can you imagine if Dorian Yates had entered the spring shows? It would have ruined his mystique and killed any chance of him showing up at his best come Olympia time. The last time a Mr. O competed beforehand was in 2001 and the result was the champ showed up at less than 100%. Noone goes to the Olympia to see the athletes at 90%, they pay good money to see the world's best at their best.

Lastly, this brings us to the Olympia. How can you say it will be boring? Simply because the reigning champ deserves to win again? How can you say that the biggest show in bodybuilding will be boring?? You get to watch larger than life athletes battling it out on stage for the biggest title in the sport. Hell, you get to witness bb history in the making!!

And Bob. Oh, Bob. I can't believe you said watching a bodybuilding show bores you to tears. I can understand nodding off during the 20 rounds of figure they show beforehand, or even some of the other inane events that you're forced to watch before the pros come on stage. But the Olympia? Any true fan of bodybuilding would be thrilled to see the Olympia in person. I have nothing but absolute respect and admiration for you Bob, but I just don't understand how you can be bored at the O when the real fans you've mention would have the time of their life . . .

When Ronnie retires, you'll all realize just how great he is. It's a shame people can't just appreciate him now and enjoy the show. There will be a huge void when he retires. Long live King Coleman!

PS. I LOVE MD AND NEVER MISS AN ISSUE

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: **Ron Harris is Full of SHIT**
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:49:39 PM »
Wow...you should write a letter to Ben Weider. But first lay off the ephedrine tabs before coming on the forum...if you intend to write that much, publish a book.

0 and by the way, yah Ronnie is great (NO DOUBT), but he won't be the best forever...hope you can take the reality of it, and not let it affect you like when you found out Santa wasn't real...lol
All hail King JAY!

LeePriestLover

• Getbig II
  • ---LPL---
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
I agree with you on all points, and I will add the following:

Bob is a man who isn't satisfied with winning a legit pro show.  No, the way he feels better about himself and why he's on this planet is when he's making dispariging comments about those who are above him.  He correctly mentions that bodybuilding shows are boring.  But what he fails to mention is the ones that are boring are the ones that he hosts.  He contributes nothing but high-school wit combined with sarcastic rhetoric.  He's not commentating on what he's seeing, rather, he's talking stream of conciousness.  This is a man who is wearing a Gorilla Suit over an otherwise very shallow character.

As for Ron Harris it has been mentioned here before that he's nothing but a wanna-has-been.  That is, he was an up and coming contender at one point, but gave it up.  He now gets to write all types of articles in MD from the first person perspective, and man, they are horrendous.  His generalizations about everything in regards to bodybuilding is only made interesting by his interjection of personal experience in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE.  "When I saw Ronnie..." "when Me and Lee..."  "I remember when Dorian first..." blah blah on and on and on ad nauseum ad inifinitum.

Having said that, MD is slowly evolving into a magazine that I wont treasured for it's focus primarily on research into one that is very Flex Like.  This PAGE 69 CRAP with idiotic subtexts and pictures that bring nothing to the context of the magazine in the FRONT OF THE MAGAZINE annoy me.  Why not put that crap in the back so that I wont have to deal with it?  Isn't the reason why you stopped the centerfolds was to bring the focus back to HARDCORE NO BULLSHIT BODYBIULDING which you purport to subscribe to??  What happened guys?!

Granted, the research is still there, but it's preceded by commentary from John Romano, which, is very entertaining, but is overshadowed by Page 69.  I'd rather see Romano first, then the research, then the features, then the bodybuilders, THEN the girls and pictures.  

The magazine has taken a strange turn for the worst this past year, and I'm not sure what happened.  

Maybe Chick is a bad influence?  Who knows.

But yes, I agree with all of your points and then some.

Ronnie Coleman is the king, and the longer he reigns, the more he'll receive threats to be overthrown.

But we all know - IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Long Live Ron.

(note to Jay Cutler - you're the one that should retire.  Then come back when Ron is gone and claim the scab throne)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:53:25 PM »
Wow...you should write a letter to Ben Weider. But first lay off the ephedrine tabs before coming on the forum...if you intend to write that much, publish a book.

0 and by the way, yah Ronnie is great (NO DOUBT), but he won't be the best forever...hope you can take the reality of it, and not let it affect you like when you found out Santa wasn't real...lol
All hail King JAY!

Jay is great, but Dex is better  ;)

Colossus_1986

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »
i can see ur point...dex is a cool guy...
it can go to either one next..maybe gustavo too if he stops being a pregnant ass-clown

[i

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »

All hail King JAY!

Sounds like someone hit a nerve.  ::)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:00:45 PM »
When was Ron Harris on the show?

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
Jay is great, but Dex is better  ;)

Dex has a cool body but a stupid grinning face..
I am a mini beast

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:06:53 PM »
When was Ron Harris on the show?

My bad, I meant John Romano.

Sorry, Ron Harris - we're still cool  ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: **John Romano is Full of SHIT**
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 09:13:28 PM »
Sorry, Ron Harris - we're still cool  ;)

you better run from harris if you see him on the street.  he's gangsta.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 09:18:10 PM »
I just finished listening to the replay of this weeks PBBW and I have to say I was taken aback by some of the disparaging comments made about Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia, particularly those by MD's Seniour Editor. With all due respect to John Romano, especially considering that he's an industry name and I'm an internet nobody, his take on Ronnie Coleman and the Olympia were shocking.

Ronnie Coleman losing the Olympia would be the best thing for bodybuilding? Force him to compete more than once a year? The Olympia will be boring? Not to mention Chick's comment that everyone is bored to tears watching it???? EXCUSE ME????

These have to be some of the most upsetting and ass-backwards things I've heard in my life!

First off, Ronnie Coleman is the greatest bodybuilder this sport has ever known. It is a treat and a thrill to see him compete at the Olympia every year and win. He does so becuase he's head and shoulders above everyone else. We have never seen his combination of size, conditioning, and muscularity, and it's likely we never will again after he retires. That said, him losing wouldn't be the best thing to happen to bodybuilding. Since Coleman is obviously the best bodybuilder in the world, him losing would amount to a bullshit decision based on politics and not physiques. Sadly, I always thought MD was agaisnt BS.

Secondly, forcing the top 5 or 6 at the Olympia to requalify would be another mistake. Everyone talks about how its difficult to peak for multiple shows a year. If this is true, how would it make sense to have the best in the world showing up at less than their best? This would just downgrade the quality and prestige of the Mr. Olympia contest. It's far better to have the top 5 or 6 save themselves for the big dance where it really matters.

Having the reigning Mr. Olympia compete more than once would be even worse. Can you imagine if Dorian Yates had entered the spring shows? It would have ruined his mystique and killed any chance of him showing up at his best come Olympia time. The last time a Mr. O competed beforehand was in 2001 and the result was the champ showed up at less than 100%. Noone goes to the Olympia to see the athletes at 90%, they pay good money to see the world's best at their best.

Lastly, this brings us to the Olympia. How can you say it will be boring? Simply because the reigning champ deserves to win again? How can you say that the biggest show in bodybuilding will be boring?? You get to watch larger than life athletes battling it out on stage for the biggest title in the sport. Hell, you get to witness bb history in the making!!

And Bob. Oh, Bob. I can't believe you said watching a bodybuilding show bores you to tears. I can understand nodding off during the 20 rounds of figure they show beforehand, or even some of the other inane events that you're forced to watch before the pros come on stage. But the Olympia? Any true fan of bodybuilding would be thrilled to see the Olympia in person. I have nothing but absolute respect and admiration for you Bob, but I just don't understand how you can be bored at the O when the real fans you've mention would have the time of their life . . .

When Ronnie retires, you'll all realize just how great he is. It's a shame people can't just appreciate him now and enjoy the show. There will be a huge void when he retires. Long live King Coleman!

PS. I LOVE MD AND NEVER MISS AN ISSUE

Yeah....the "true fans" of bodybuilding= the "hardcore fans"...that amounts to the same 5,000 people that show up every year...no more, no less. Thats not progress in my book. We need to make these competitions into shows, which would appeal to more fans within the bodybuilding/ fitness world.

I've got an article on this coming out in the next issue of FLEX mag...it explains this very subject in detail...check it out.

As for making guys re-qualify...other than the reigning Olympia champion (Ronnie or otherwise), I see no real reason why there is a pass given to athletes simply for the fact that they placed well.
 making them re-Q would bring bigger talent to other shows as well, not just the "O"...It may also keep the guys in better conditioning throughout the year for guest posings, appearances, etc.

What other sport is this done? None that I can think of....it's not good for the sport as a whole, doesn't promote the athletes, doesn't give the other shows a chance to have the best in the world compete, and does nothing but stagnate the growth even more.

Time to make some changes...

thisiskeith12

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »
This thread is a cry of the realization that if the IFBB did require athletes to compete in more shows Mr. Coleman would no longer be Mr. Olympia. Your aesthetic types would slice through the competitions!

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 09:24:17 PM »

Yeah....the "true fans" of bodybuilding= the "hardcore fans"...that amounts to the same 5,000 people that show up every year...no more, no less. Thats not progress in my book. We need to make these competitions into shows, which would appeal to more fans within the bodybuilding/ fitness world.

I've got an article on this coming out in the next issue of FLEX mag...it explains this very subject in detail...check it out.

As for making guys re-qualify...other than the reigning Olympia champion (Ronnie or otherwise), I see no real reason why there is a pass given to athletes simply for the fact that they placed well.
 making them re-Q would bring bigger talent to other shows as well, not just the "O"...It may also keep the guys in better conditioning throughout the year for guest posings, appearances, etc.

What other sport is this done? None that I can think of....it's not good for the sport as a whole, doesn't promote the athletes, doesn't give the other shows a chance to have the best in the world compete, and does nothing but stagnate the growth even more.

Actually Bob, you make some excellent points and I can see where you're coming from - thanks for replying to my post.

I still think most people will only appreciate how great Ronnie is now when he's gone though  :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 09:25:15 PM »
I think if more athletes threatened to kick fans' asses, we could really build some mainstream support for the sport.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 09:26:10 PM »

For once I think Bobby is on to something.  I firmly agree that this bullshit about the top 5-6 guys getting a free pass back is kinda gay.  With the exception of Ronnie, make those guys work.  Only the champion deserves a free pass back, the rest of the competitors need to earn that top contender spot.  

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
I think if more athletes threatened to kick fans' asses, we could really build some mainstream support for the sport.

I agree.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:27:48 PM »

We're almost there!!!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 09:55:27 PM »
For once I think Bobby is on to something.  I firmly agree that this bullshit about the top 5-6 guys getting a free pass back is kinda gay.  With the exception of Ronnie, make those guys work.  Only the champion deserves a free pass back, the rest of the competitors need to earn that top contender spot. 

It all comes down to money. If the guys could at least be guaranteed they would break even on the cost of doing a show they would probably do more than one a year. As it stands now doing a show is a losing proposition for the majority of competitors. Bodybuilding is fvcked up, the talent is absolutely shit on.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 10:09:50 PM »
Dex has a cool body but a stupid grinning face..
he has a "cool" body?  ???
follow the arrows

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 10:25:19 PM »

I can't beleive Bob actually posted something that makes sense. Way to go Bob, see what happens when you stop internet fighting with 240, and actually think before you post. Now if you could only work on not being such an As*hole

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 10:39:14 PM »
 Guys shouldn't have to requalify if they are getting paid next to nothing to compete.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »

hell yeah chicks right if you win the super bowl your not invited to play in the superbowl again you have to earn your way back :)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 10:53:41 PM »
Jay is great, but Dex is better  ;)

Both Cutler and Jackson raping Ronnie's anus at the O. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 11:12:49 PM »
John Ramano speaks his mind! You can ask him anything! I plan to very, very soon!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 11:31:11 PM »

hilarious  ;D
its comin today