Author Topic: Muay Thai  (Read 1889 times)

Lil Diesel

• Getbig II
Muay Thai
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »
Hey, how many here train in Muay Thai. I plan on training again this saturday after a 5 months hiatus due to a neck injury from brazilian jiu jitsu. i've been purely bodybuilding and I was wondering if any of you are heavily muscled?

It would be nice to not lose a whole lot of muscle. I realize muscle doesn't win fights but I've worked hard for what I have and I'd like to maintain some of it. I'm going from a 5-day split to a 3-day, plus Muay Thai. If I eat right can I hold onto most of my muscle?  Has anyone here been both a bodybuilder and still a good fighter? The only muay thai fighter that is heavily muscled that I can think of is Marvin Eastman

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Muay Thai
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:07:50 AM »
there's been plenty of big muscle guys in ufc and pride over the years and there's not a lot of cardio in my muay training, unless you're preparing for a fight etc or have very intense sparring and padwork
Z

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 06:36:26 AM »
i just started training again so we'll see...my sessions are worse than any kinda running i've ever done..but it's fun! :D

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »
there's been plenty of big muscle guys in ufc and pride over the years and there's not a lot of cardio in my muay training, unless you're preparing for a fight etc or have very intense sparring and padwork

Muay Thai is probably one of the most intensive Martial arts cardio wise around

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
This is going to sound odd, but I was bigger (i.e. more muscle) when I did Muay Thai. I compete at 205# now, but I was 225# when I was doing Muay Thai 4x per week.  And trust me, the Thai training was much harder than BJJ.

-Kimura

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:41:44 PM »
i train with lutter here in NHB class...... we train gi jiujitsu and no gi and muh thai boxing....... i try to balance this 4 days a week with working out and working construction.

i have lost some muscle size, but i think its more due to construction then anything

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 01:39:38 AM »
Muay Thai is probably one of the most intensive Martial arts cardio wise around

yeah but it's not constantly like regular cardio since there's warm ups, strenght training, technique training etc would be different if it was all out cardio for 2 hours straight, but yeah it's demanding especially if youre not in shape, but im not sure it goes on long enough that you'd end up losing musclemass.
Z

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
I lost a lot of muscle when starting muay Thai. Really had to up my calories