Author Topic: fucked up hands  (Read 2908 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
fucked up hands
« on: June 25, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »
this isn't meant to make me sound like a pussy..frankly i think it's about time...but it's starting to slow down my training...

here lately i've been fighting bare fisted...little parts of me left here and there on the bag and mitts..nothing big

today i started seriously training with wrapped hands to help my wrists and protect my knuckles...

took them off after an hour's session of throwing hands and all of my knuckles save the ones on the vary ends of my fingers are bleeding like hell..didnt' notice it..it doesn't really hurt...

but it would be kinda gross for the next person if i'm leaving blood on the bag and equipment...should i wrap my knuckles with tape? or just give'em some time to get calused? my boss is saying shit like..."customers don't want to see you all banged up and bloody when yo'ure helping them..you're looking like a street thug"

he used to box and when asked didnt' care if i started fighting so i'm hoping he understands...but he does have a legitamate point.

davinci

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: fucked up hands
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
might have to do with your technique. also use the "ribbon" method of wrapping your knuckles, it helps to protect them a little more.

are you just wildly throwin into the bag? throwin all your body weight into it? or are you popping your punches with good tech and using your hips to generate force. reason i ask is when my freind gets on the heavy bag he goes nuts on it, so his fists arent always contacting in the right way, they are more grazing and sliding and this causes his hands to get torn up pretty good. instead of workin on his form. hes mostly landing his fists and draggin them instead of popping htem and bringin them back. just a suggestion

also it will take a little time for them to calluse up., you may also wanna get some bag gloves or at least some 4 ounce gloves to use on bag.........

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 07:51:45 PM »
it's all in my hips...

trust me..they're not wild...very very powerful..

to the point that when i throw a hard right up top or body shop i'm told that i'm liftin my back foot off with the power from my hips and shoulders...they're hard enough that even when my opponents cover up that it knocks them back and off me. 

i dont know what that amounts too..i didnt realize i was even doing it...but i've been told my technique is very good for not having fought in awhile...(lots of just shadow boxing and drills at home since then) til lately...

i addressed my wrapping issues earlier..i've got 115" wraps and they dont have NEAR the material to wrap my hands completely...i make sure my knucles and wrists are compenstated before drawing between my fingers...i'm thinking i need almost another 2 feet of material to do it right on my hands. i don't sit on the bag...when i do i get a nice rap on the back of the head from the trainer...says my opponent will do alot worse when i don't cover up after each shot...

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 05:44:31 AM »
yeah i would switch to the 180" everlast mexican hand wraps.  Everlast also has a neoprene glove that is meant to take the place of hand wraps.  they are pretty good and can be used for mma practice.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:49:12 AM »
yeah miggs i was looking at those and wondered if the neoprene would be any kinda problem but apparenlty not...

180"?! THAT'S what i need to find..none of the sports stores around here have them..so i'm thinking i'm gonna hafta go off the net to get'em. and last night i made a mistake..my back foot is planted..it's my lead foot that clears the grounds about and inch or so into the hook...and instead of ending up infront of my opponent now that i think about it i was always on his right or left side when the shot finished. 

i was told that i was "working the angles"  when i didn't have a clue wth i was doing...  :-\

is that a no no?  my trainer liked it...said even if i don't connect it moves him away or knocks the living shit out of the side of his face and head. not that that could be very effective other than pissing them off or just become irritating...

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:06 AM »
yeah miggs i was looking at those and wondered if the neoprene would be any kinda problem but apparenlty not...

180"?! THAT'S what i need to find..none of the sports stores around here have them..so i'm thinking i'm gonna hafta go off the net to get'em. and last night i made a mistake..my back foot is planted..it's my lead foot that clears the grounds about and inch or so into the hook...and instead of ending up infront of my opponent now that i think about it i was always on his right or left side when the shot finished. 

i was told that i was "working the angles"  when i didn't have a clue wth i was doing...  :-\

is that a no no?  my trainer liked it...said even if i don't connect it moves him away or knocks the living shit out of the side of his face and head. not that that could be very effective other than pissing them off or just become irritating...

You can find 180's at everlast and sometimes on ebay.  I love them.  Sometimes if i am gonna go heavy ont he bag work i can layer it up some more and amake a pad over my knuckles.  Working the angles is effective, look at pernell whitaker and bernard hopkins, both do it very well.  They don't soley rely n it,but they incorporate it into their style. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 07:03:38 AM »
by the way, here are the ones i have.  Work great for me. Like i said i like the neoprene gloves too.

http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-mex-handwraps.html

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »
yeah i would switch to the 180" everlast mexican hand wraps.  Everlast also has a neoprene glove that is meant to take the place of hand wraps.  they are pretty good and can be used for mma practice.

Dude, I can get those at Sports Authority here for 20 bucks, I have a pair of those in yellow and black and a pair of different ones cant think of the name off the top of my head... go to sportsauthority.com
grundle has no sack,

lightweight

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 08:36:04 PM »
wait for your knuckles to heal and then train again but not to the point of bleeding.. eventually your knuckles will toughen up so you can punch for extended periods without bleeding or tearing

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 10:52:20 AM »
Dude, I can get those at Sports Authority here for 20 bucks, I have a pair of those in yellow and black and a pair of different ones cant think of the name off the top of my head... go to sportsauthority.com

$20 is too expensive, you sure about the price?  The SA near me has them for $7