Author Topic: It's time for Arnold's son!  (Read 8032 times)

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
Re: It's time for Arnold's son!
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
Arnold was relatively poor.   Arnold's son is a rich kid with one or more trust funds.   Arnold is new money, but Maria is old money (well for the US).

Rich kids rarely excell in sports.  To excell at anything requires thousands of hours of hard work.  Poor kids see sports as a way out.  Rich kids don't need a way out.  They have lots to occupy their day.

Yes and no,your point is valid BUT what about those rich kids that look around and understand from where all of this come.And want to get thier own money/respect ,they got motivation and means to do it.
Its basicly the oposite version of the poor kid who have no motivation because he see's his parents bust thier ass and get nowhere.

I wouldnt say rich kids are all lazy fucks,you got poor and rich fuckups...all depends on how you educate your kid and what he have inside his brain.

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 06:11:36 PM »
His son has some big shoes to fill.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
i just chirped Patrick on the nextel.  he had a glass full of cristal, a mouth full of model and a nose full of powder, but assured me that he's doing okay.   

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 06:45:11 PM »
Yes and no,your point is valid BUT what about those rich kids that look around and understand from where all of this come.And want to get thier own money/respect ,they got motivation and means to do it.

there are lots of rich kids accomplishing great things on their own, but there is a big difference between being successful and being a superstar in sports or say the arts.   while there are a few pro athletes who are sons of pro athletes, it is very rare.   I think there is an economic reason for that.  to be the best in your field takes thousands and thousands of hours of practice.  if you're a child who is too poor, you don't have thousands of hours to practice because you have to help the family get by.  If you're well off, your parents are going to want you to be well rounded and do things other than just practice your sport.

Look at professional baseball over the last 100 years.  Today, most of the players seem to be hispanic.  More specifically, the largest group seems to be Caribbean.   A while back, it was Central American.  before that, blacks seem to dominate baseball.  But did you know there was a time where the Irish dominated pro ball in the US?  At another time it was Jews.  Another time it was the Italians.   This correlates well with the immigration and economic status of these groups.   Newly arrived immigrants were too poor to have their kids do something frivolous as practice throwing a ball.  But a generation or two later, they were economically secure enough for their kids to become good enough in sports to play professionally.  But as these groups moved into the middle class, they discouraged their kids from spending too much time playing ball, and encouraged their kids to study to go to college, etc.

to become the best in anything requires an enormous amount of time.  because they have other priorities, sometimes priorities set by their parents, rich kids generally don't have the time to become the best in a sport.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 08:02:33 PM »
Arnold was relatively poor.   Arnold's son is a rich kid with one or more trust funds.   Arnold is new money, but Maria is old money (well for the US).

Rich kids rarely excell in sports.  To excell at anything requires thousands of hours of hard work.  Poor kids see sports as a way out.  Rich kids don't need a way out.  They have lots to occupy their day.

Thats such a load of bull. Rich kids have just as big a chance. You do waht you like whether you got money or not.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 08:08:05 PM »
Thats such a load of bull. Rich kids have just as big a chance. You do waht you like whether you got money or not.

Ashbury pricks always raped our rugby team - 'course our team was shit . . .

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 12:50:36 AM »
have to agree with tim here
and to be the best on getbig, do take a long time, a generation ago, nobody in my family would've had 5 stars
Z

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 01:34:23 AM »
Timfogarty has a point.

While rich kids have as much chance to excell, maybe even more. Most of the time they do not have the drive to put in the hard work. They often have a more diverse upbringing (spend more time on school, different kinds of sports, parties, playing computergames,...) so it's harder to stay focussed. But if they have the drive it's very well possible.

The genetic thing is important however. If you'r dad and mom were good athletes, it's almost 100% sure you'll excell as well. There was an eugenic experiment with olympic athletes done on this.
$

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 01:42:51 AM »
There was an eugenic experiment with olympic athletes done on this.

yeah, I believe Jesse Owens got in the way of that experiment.

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 02:34:59 AM »
yeah, I believe Jesse Owens got in the way of that experiment.
Wrong. It was way after WW2, i think in the 70s.

They took sperm samples from nobel prize winners and olympic athletes, and gave it to women who needed it. There was a strong correlation between athletic performance, also a correlation with intelligence (higher IQ) but some kids lacked the drive to do anything with it.

For ethical reasons the experiment was stopped.
$

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 03:00:47 AM »
They took sperm samples from nobel prize winners and olympic athletes, and gave it to women who needed it. There was a strong correlation between athletic performance, also a correlation with intelligence (higher IQ) but some kids lacked the drive to do anything with it.

One guy, Robert Klark Graham, tried to run a sperm bank for geniuses from 1980 to 1999.  218 children were born.  and since the children currently range in age from 26 to 7, its kind of hard to say whether the program "worked" or not.  The program closed down with the death of Graham. 

And while governments forced sterilized the mentally disabled well into the 1970s, the type of eugenics you're talking about is almost always associated with the Nazis and racial superiority, and therefore has been avoided by governments and institutions.

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 03:08:03 AM »
One guy, Robert Klark Graham, tried to run a sperm bank for geniuses from 1980 to 1999.  218 children were born.  and since the children currently range in age from 26 to 7, its kind of hard to say whether the program "worked" or not.  The program closed down with the death of Graham. 
Yeah, i think that was the thing i read about. The conclusions in that article were summed up in my previous post. So i'd say it "worked" to a certain degree. Of course the mother's genes and the child's upbringing play an important role as well, but there certainly was a correlation. Both in athletic ability / IQ number.
$

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 05:14:55 AM »
I heard the kid likes cycling and soccer.......

maybe his grandson could be in to b.b?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 05:58:53 AM »
im sure arnolds son has more money than Ronnie and Jay Cutler combined, and knows that unlike his dad , he doesnt need to build a physique to get him places....
L

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »

AMEN

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 03:33:06 PM »
there's little or no money in most sports. and there's great sacrifices as in health risks, loss of job, time spent, less time with family etc etc

i guess if you're not into the competitive side of it, want to achieve etc you cannot understand it and what drives these people.

Are you talking about recreational sports such as basketball, racquetball, tennis, golf, etc?  Well of course there's no money in those sports, it's not a career.  I think he's referring to the PRO level, and if you compare the pro level of bodybuilding to the pro level of other sports, the returns are merely a fraction.  If you're a pro, there's a lot of money to be had in a lot of sports (boxing, baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, racing, hockey, etc, etc.), just not bodybuilding, especially for the health sacrifices that are made.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
Are you talking about recreational sports such as basketball, racquetball, tennis, golf, etc?  Well of course there's no money in those sports, it's not a career.  I think he's referring to the PRO level, and if you compare the pro level of bodybuilding to the pro level of other sports, the returns are merely a fraction.  If you're a pro, there's a lot of money to be had in a lot of sports (boxing, baseball, football, basketball, golf, tennis, racing, hockey, etc, etc.), just not bodybuilding, especially for the health sacrifices that are made.

I'm talking about most sports in the world, there's not a lot of money to be made in most sports of the Olympics for example, yet year after year, people sacrifice everything to be part of it.

Apparantely they experience and feel something we don't.
Z

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
Pro bodybuilding is like the Getbig site.    Pointless, but addictive.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »
Pro bodybuilding is like the Getbig site.    Pointless, but addictive.
sounds like your theory on donuts.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »
sounds like your theory on donuts.

You must be really fat.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »
What else would he do? If you got Arnold's genetics, you should be forced to do bodybuilding. By law.

Thats like saying if you have Lees genetics, you should be forced to be a jockey. ;D
E

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »
So from what everybody is saying here is that Arnolds son will also be a Mr.O?  (If he loses all his money and becomes Cuban or something...?)
Motherboy (the band).

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
I'm talking about most sports in the world, there's not a lot of money to be made in most sports of the Olympics for example, yet year after year, people sacrifice everything to be part of it.

Apparantely they experience and feel something we don't.

Ok, I see what you mean.  Those people that sacrifice all of that for a shot at a gold medal, with no monetary compensation....it has to be all heart.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »
talk about future bodybuilding star:

Law and Order SVU star Mariska Hargitay, daughter of Mr Unvierse Mickey Hargitay and Jayne Mansfield, gave birth to a boy on Wednesday in Los Angeles.  10 pounds 9 ounces (4.8 kilos)

THEBERG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
there are lots of rich kids accomplishing great things on their own, but there is a big difference between being successful and being a superstar in sports or say the arts.   while there are a few pro athletes who are sons of pro athletes, it is very rare.   I think there is an economic reason for that.  to be the best in your field takes thousands and thousands of hours of practice.  if you're a child who is too poor, you don't have thousands of hours to practice because you have to help the family get by.  If you're well off, your parents are going to want you to be well rounded and do things other than just practice your sport.

Look at professional baseball over the last 100 years.  Today, most of the players seem to be hispanic.  More specifically, the largest group seems to be Caribbean.   A while back, it was Central American.  before that, blacks seem to dominate baseball.  But did you know there was a time where the Irish dominated pro ball in the US?  At another time it was Jews.  Another time it was the Italians.   This correlates well with the immigration and economic status of these groups.   Newly arrived immigrants were too poor to have their kids do something frivolous as practice throwing a ball.  But a generation or two later, they were economically secure enough for their kids to become good enough in sports to play professionally.  But as these groups moved into the middle class, they discouraged their kids from spending too much time playing ball, and encouraged their kids to study to go to college, etc.

to become the best in anything requires an enormous amount of time.  because they have other priorities, sometimes priorities set by their parents, rich kids generally don't have the time to become the best in a sport.

I liked you comment timfogarty, i did and assigment on different ethnic groups dominating sports and i raised the some points that you outlined, in the end i basically concluded that Genetics dont play as a vital role as soical enviroment values or pressures.