Author Topic: Has Noah's Ark been found?  (Read 15409 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Has Noah's Ark been found?
« on: June 30, 2006, 04:17:13 AM »
Has Noah's Ark Been Found?
Christian Archaeology Team Believes It's Found Biblical Remains

(June 29) - A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.

"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

"We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat.

"It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood."

In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said.

Long Search for the Ark

The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits -- about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale.

"It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said

Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey.

"Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler.

One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran.

"There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery.

"People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable."

The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

ABC News' Chris Cuomo reported this story for "Good Morning America."

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/has-noahs-ark-been-found/20060629173309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Has Noah's Ark been found?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:28:37 PM »
Question for the atheists and those that don't believe in some of the "harder to believe" bible "stories:"

If "Science" ends up telling us that this indeed could be a part of the ark mentioned in the bible, would it change the way you feel about God/the bible?  Or would it make no difference?
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »
Question for the atheists and those that don't believe in some of the "harder to believe" bible "stories:"

If "Science" ends up telling us that this indeed could be a part of the ark mentioned in the bible, would it change the way you feel about God/the bible?  Or would it make no difference?

An atheist would say that just becuase you find a relic from a story in the Bible doesn't prove the exsistence of God.  If we found a relic from a hyrogriphic on a pyramid would that prove the exsistence of Rah and Osiris?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »
An atheist would say that just becuase you find a relic from a story in the Bible doesn't prove the exsistence of God.  If we found a relic from a hyrogriphic on a pyramid would that prove the exsistence of Rah and Osiris?

I think the difference is there is no evidence of the existence of Rah, but there is plenty of evidence of a worldwide flood.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:13:52 PM »
 ::)
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 01:39:18 AM »

Obviously yes.

A resounding yes.

I believe this: "The truth shall set you free".

If there is good evidence of Noah's Ark, I will of course reconsider my whole approach.

That's my view on things. If anyone can provide any kind of evidence that holds for critical review, I will accept that religion as the existing truth.

Since it, obviously, would be the truth.

I'm gonna challenge you likewise Stella:

Would you drop your Christian beliefs if there are solid evidence presented that gives another religion or science solid backing?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 06:43:35 AM »

I'm gonna challenge you likewise Stella:

Would you drop your Christian beliefs if there are solid evidence presented that gives another religion or science solid backing?

YIP
Zack

Well Zack, I think you'd have to give me an example.  For instance, Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons believe in some of the bible.  And I think Islam has some historical parallels as well.  So those (although fact IMO) wouldn't cause me to turn my back on Christianity.

R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »
Well Zack, I think you'd have to give me an example.  For instance, Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons believe in some of the bible.  And I think Islam has some historical parallels as well.  So those (although fact IMO) wouldn't cause me to turn my back on Christianity.

Ok.

Let's say there is conclusive evidence that the Hindu Gods exists, and that reincarnation occurs.

Another example: Evidence for evolution theory is presented.

Evidence of the Quran actually being the very words of God.

Would you accept that you were wrong, and "change" religion?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 11:00:35 AM »
I think the difference is there is no evidence of the existence of Rah, but there is plenty of evidence of a worldwide flood.

Yeah, but all we are doing is finding evidence of a story in the Bible not evidence of God (which is everywhere other then the ark).  They found jericho's well also, that still doesn't mean God exists, niehter does the fact the red sea exists prove that god exists.   A man (noah) still could have forseen the flood and built a ship and then later his story was imbelished with messages and instructions from God. 

As fascinating a real discovery of the ark would be, we don't need it to prove God exists.  "Breathing alone does that for me."

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »

I would be a believer if they also found the plans on how pairs of all those thousands upon thousands of different species fit on the boat. Also who did the cooking and shoveled out the shit.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »
Yeah, but all we are doing is finding evidence of a story in the Bible not evidence of God (which is everywhere other then the ark).  They found jericho's well also, that still doesn't mean God exists, niehter does the fact the red sea exists prove that god exists.   A man (noah) still could have forseen the flood and built a ship and then later his story was imbelished with messages and instructions from God. 

As fascinating a real discovery of the ark would be, we don't need it to prove God exists.  "Breathing alone does that for me."

If you're saying we need like pictures to prove the existence of God, I don't think we're ever going to find them.  The fact that history and archeological findings support stories in the Bible is at least some proof of God's existence IMO.  So is testing God's promises in the Bible. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »
If you're saying we need like pictures to prove the existence of God, I don't think we're ever going to find them.  The fact that history and archeological findings support stories in the Bible is at least some proof of God's existence IMO.  So is testing God's promises in the Bible. 

Of course i'm not saying we need pictures, I'm saying everything we see is proof of God's exsistance.  However, if you look at the logic of th existance of the ark as proof of the existance of god you'll see that it is flawed.   

It supports the fact that there was flood and someone built a BIG boat but doesn't prove the existance of god's involvment as a presence who talked to Noah, raptured Enoch, and told Noah to how to build it. 

It just says there is "some" provalbe thruths in the story of Genises. 

And if it isn't found on ararak but rather found on another mountain identified in some ancient cultutral myth then by that "proves the existence fo God" logic would only prove the existence of whatever god or gods are in  that cultural myth   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 01:48:34 PM »
Of course i'm not saying we need pictures, I'm saying everything we see is proof of God's exsistance.  However, if you look at the logic of th existance of the ark as proof of the existance of god you'll see that it is flawed.   

It supports the fact that there was flood and someone built a BIG boat but doesn't prove the existance of god's involvment as a presence who talked to Noah, raptured Enoch, and told Noah to how to build it. 

It just says there is "some" provalbe thruths in the story of Genises. 

I agree with this.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »

You want pictures you say? ok... here ya go...

...somebunny has been a very naughty little bunny!  :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 03:38:55 PM »
Now this one is at least a little funny.  :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »
Ok.

Let's say there is conclusive evidence that the Hindu Gods exists, and that reincarnation occurs.

YIP
Zack

most younger christians accept the theory of evolution and the scientifically established age of the earth . . . they don't view these things as incompatible w their faith.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »
most younger christians accept the theory of evolution and the scientifically established age of the earth . . . they don't view these things as incompatible w their faith.

Yes. I am aware of this.

Christianity is based upon the story of Adam and Eve.
But how true are these Christians in their faith? The facts presented in the Bible of how Adam and Eve were created et al.
  If you don't believe in that, why would you call yourself a Christian?
If those parts of the faith aren't valid... Why would anything be valid?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 06:41:59 PM »
Yes. I am aware of this.

Christianity is based upon the story of Adam and Eve.
But how true are these Christians in their faith? The facts presented in the Bible of how Adam and Eve were created et al.
  If you don't believe in that, why would you call yourself a Christian?
If those parts of the faith aren't valid... Why would anything be valid?

YIP
Zack

If there's one thing i've learn over the years is that Christians, for the most part, all have their own interpretation of the Bible.  They Pick, Choose, Justify, and Rationalize each  verse to fit  a set of rules they choose to live by. 

A good example of this would be verses in the old testement that by bias subjective interpretation only apply to jews and not christians (see 99% of women sinnning thread) 

Personally i don't see anything wrong with this until it comes to a self righteous Christian telling you that you will go to hell or you are dammed or you are sinning if you don't ___________ (fill in the blank).

Can you live exactly according to the Bible?  yes.  But few have belief/strength to do so. 

So what does it matter if they don't believe a certain aspect fo the Bible in the face of evidence to the contrary?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 10:37:05 PM »
If there's one thing i've learn over the years is that Christians, for the most part, all have their own interpretation of the Bible.  They Pick, Choose, Justify, and Rationalize each  verse to fit  a set of rules they choose to live by. 

A good example of this would be verses in the old testement that by bias subjective interpretation only apply to jews and not christians (see 99% of women sinnning thread) 

Personally i don't see anything wrong with this until it comes to a self righteous Christian telling you that you will go to hell or you are dammed or you are sinning if you don't ___________ (fill in the blank).

Can you live exactly according to the Bible?  yes.  But few have belief/strength to do so. 

So what does it matter if they don't believe a certain aspect fo the Bible in the face of evidence to the contrary?

Here's the key IMO.

Christians are free to sin, they still will come to heaven. Jesus died for us. But those who doesn't acknowledge that homosexuality is a sin, those who don't acknowledge the female dressing codes et al, I cannot see how they see themselves as Christians.

In other words: A lot of Christians don't acknowledge some acts to be sinful. Even though it's pretty clear that those acts truly are sins.

God still loves you, you will still go to heaven, but you should acknowledge that it's not ok to live like that.

If they twist the Christianity to fit with their everyday life and their morals, they need to check themselves and realise that perhaps Christianity isn't what they came looking for.

Perhaps they need to look into other religions/philosophies.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 03:09:05 PM »
Ok.

YIP
Zack

OK, if there were proof that evolution theory was true, that wouldn't do it for me.

If there was proof that even one of the 357 million different Hindu gods were real, yes, that would give me pause and make me reconsider my beliefs.  But it would have to be real proof and acceptable in general, as demons and the devil can present something as real or even something totally evil as an "angel of light."

Same goes for if the quran was proven to be true.

Yes, I would reconsider.  But of course, I don't believe that it would ever happen, but if it did, of course, I would research and investigate the claims, as I want to believe whats true is true.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 03:15:35 PM »

Can you live exactly according to the Bible?  yes. 

I don't agree w/this.  I don't believe it's possible to live as we should according to the bible.  In fact, the bible states that the law was given to show we are unable to keep the law.

This is why we need to accept God's grace.

Here's the key IMO.

Christians are free to sin, they still will come to heaven. Jesus died for us. But those who doesn't acknowledge that homosexuality is a sin, those who don't acknowledge the female dressing codes et al, I cannot see how they see themselves as Christians.

In other words: A lot of Christians don't acknowledge some acts to be sinful. Even though it's pretty clear that those acts truly are sins.

God still loves you, you will still go to heaven, but you should acknowledge that it's not ok to live like that.

If they twist the Christianity to fit with their everyday life and their morals, they need to check themselves and realise that perhaps Christianity isn't what they came looking for.

Perhaps they need to look into other religions/philosophies.

YIP
Zack

Christians are those who believe they are sinners in need of a savior, and have accepted Jesus Christ as such.  If you have accepted the free gift of forgiveness provided by his death and resurrection, you are a Christian.  If someone has bad theology concerning doctrine or other things, but have still accepted Christ, they're a Christian IMO.  :)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 06:35:51 PM »
I don't agree w/this.  I don't believe it's possible to live as we should according to the bible.  In fact, the bible states that the law was given to show we are unable to keep the law.

This is why we need to accept God's grace.

You mean you can't choose not wear clothes that are ntypical of women or keep from cutting your hair?  Of course you can.

As for the other stuff that we feel complused to do...  There in lies the great debate...  Is it really a sin or just a form of control?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »
You mean you can't choose not wear clothes that are ntypical of women or keep from cutting your hair?  Of course you can.

As for the other stuff that we feel complused to do...  There in lies the great debate...  Is it really a sin or just a form of control?

I don't think it's a form of control.  I think there are lots of recommendations in the Bible.  You can chose to accept them or not without committing sin, but following the recommendation is probably good for you.  For example, I don't think drinking alcohol is a sin, but Solomon talks about avoiding fermented wine.  Avoiding getting drunk keeps you healthier and out of trouble.  The Bible talks about not being "unequally yoked with nonbelievers," or something like that, but I don't think it's a sin to marry an atheist.  Might make your life miserable and could cause you to compromise your faith, but not a sin IMO.  There are many other examples that I think are just designed to protect you and make your life more enjoyable. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 01:46:14 AM »
I like the Gay People example.

A lot of Christians don't think it's a sin to be fags or dykes. Somehow, they have this idea of "love is the message of Jesus".

Which is quite true, but still don't give the green lights for same sex relations.

God does not think it's cool to be Gay. He still loves the fags, DESPITE their gayness.

And they won't suffer because they are guys. But they are NOT "cool with God".

Man-woman is however.

Here's the thing then: If your common sense tells you gaylording is ok, and should not be viewed as a sin, then you cannot be Christian.

What I am simply saying, is that it's a good idea to see if your faith holds up to your values and common sense.

The problem with atheism on the other hand, what makes it so hard for religious people to even consider, is the thought that life would be without meaning, without purpose. There is a legit atheist argument that we have the ability to reason and this ability will guide us to fulfilled lives. A life of reason.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »
Zack, do you consider yourself a Christian? 
R