Author Topic: Don Long Meltdown Rant  (Read 5710 times)

jameswdmb

• Getbig II
Re: Don Long Meltdown Rant
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
  They are looking for weird sexual arousal.  That's why they call it a fetish

I thought we were talking about female bodybuilders, not how vince feels when he looks at chick

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »
Notice that I use the word.....EXPLOIT.
You charge as low as a dime a minute for someone to gawk at the calves of a female bodybuilder.  Anyone who visits your site isn't looking for an appreciation of one "flexing her muscles".  They are looking for weird sexual arousal.  That's why they call it a fetish

Female posing for $ is no different from the many men that pose for $.  People arrive to admire, learn, or JO... who cares?  There is no difference.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »
Let's not pretend for a second that Chick's running down of the women's division had even the most tenuous connection with his duties in representing the men. He was simply belching up his own sexist ignorance in response to a perceived threat to his apparently tenuous sense of masculinity. And while doing so may or may not have been a direct abrogation of his rep duties, it was a singularly classless move in either case. Especially for someone in his position.

I've never considered myself a Chick basher. I think he's actually more intelligent than the average bodybuilder [yeah, I know: scary] and he's not as much fun to pick on as Tamali. But between this sad move and his self-pwning on the main Don Long thread, I keep having to lower my estimation of him.

This episode played out a year ago.  After his statements were published, I had an opportunity to speak with him about it in person, and he gave me the rationale for his beliefs on the subject.  Even though I may disagree with him, from his perception, the pro women are a drain on the money that could be going to the pro men, whereas I view the women as increasing the size of the total revenue pie.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Did anyone consider the possibility that the IFBB could be "stuck" with female bodybuilding competitions?

If they were to drop it, it could open the doors and allow any other organization to take over and possibly make some changes that would entice the money paying public.

I don't think that the IFBB is willing to surrender any aspect of bodybuilding to the competition.

As I've said many times before, when it comes to women's bodybuilding, it's not about the IFBB, it's about the NPC.  Thankfully, the people who run the NPC love women's bodybuilding, but it's also very good for business. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »
Even though I may disagree with him, from his perception, the pro women are a drain on the money that could be going to the pro men...

Chick is wrong. The fan base is not the same. Bodybuilding fans typically find FBB gross, and FBB "fans" are typically schmoes and fetishists into their "thing" and couldn't care less about regular bodybuilding.
Ron: "I am lazy."

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 09:29:51 PM »
OK back to Don Long . I know him only as a bodybuilder and enjoyed seeing him and Prince go at it for the HVY wt title at the NPC Nationals in 1994 in New Orleans. It saddens me a great deal to see their health decline  along with the city they both competed in that year.
I think it is pretty sad that  extreme contest prep puts anyone at risk these days in major shows.
I wish that Don could put the sport behind him and be glad he is alive, but I understand how the iron bug can bite hard.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2006, 10:42:23 PM »

For Don Long to go back and compete is dangerous, and I do agree with Bob on that. Don was given a second chance in a new start, he doesnt have to prove anything, and taking a chance just doesnt seem right.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 07:00:27 AM »
Chick is wrong. The fan base is not the same. Bodybuilding fans typically find FBB gross, and FBB "fans" are typically schmoes and fetishists into their "thing" and couldn't care less about regular bodybuilding.

You just said exactly what I said...TRE said what you're referring to.