Author Topic: How many business majors/business owners we have here?  (Read 19059 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
How many business majors/business owners we have here?
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:41:39 PM »
Just curious.  What are you going to school for, and what do you plan to do with it when you're done?

Busienss owners- what gave you the courage to make the jump?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: How many business majors/business owners we have here?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 11:17:07 PM »
I have a biology degree.

I decided medical school was not for me and chose to become a female bodybuilding groupie.  My passion grew from fandom into business over a period of several years.  I never planned it...it just happened, but since making the leap, I've been really serious about building the business each year.

body88

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 12:28:44 PM »
Public Relations degree  8)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 11:03:33 PM »
mechanical engineering degree ;)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 11:16:39 PM »
Busienss owners- what gave you the courage to make the jump?

Besides ignorance, ...the ability to build leverage in my life, the desire for freedom and a lifestyle of my own choosing based on what I wanted, not what some employer was willing to give me.

The idea of having to peel my tush out of a nice warm bed to go work for someone else disgusts me.
Training my own supervisors, and often doing the work they were never capable of, always disgusted me,

...and the joy of being my own boss, setting my own hours, and not having to hold my tongue if I choose not to, is a rite of passage I could never give up. Life is too short to be lived in a perpetual state of uncertainty regarding your status. The realization that there really are only 2 words between you & the door (You're Fired, Down Sizing, or Lay Offs (Take your pick). The realization that the only true job security one has is when you're looking at the boss in the mirror. Life is too short to be lived in a state of resentment, doing a job you hate, with co-workers you hate, or to spend the majority of one's productive hours begging for the clock to strike so you can run out to the nearest bar, and get drunk in an attempt to push the last 8 - 9 hrs out of your mind.

Following your passion is far healthier mentally, emotionally, spiritually & physically... and you accomplish a lot more.
w

body88

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »
mechanical engineering degree ;)

Bad ass!!!!!    Good buddy of mine went to U Mass Lowell for that degree. Supposed to be a good school for that.Where did you go? I was always impressed with the difficulty of that major.

body88

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 07:39:39 AM »
I have a biology degree.

I decided medical school was not for me and chose to become a female bodybuilding groupie.  My passion grew from fandom into business over a period of several years.  I never planned it...it just happened, but since making the leap, I've been really serious about building the business each year.

Damn tre I HATED biology in college. Good for you. That crap is hard.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »

Bad ass!!!!!    Good buddy of mine went to U Mass Lowell for that degree. Supposed to be a good school for that.Where did you go? I was always impressed with the difficulty of that major.
university of houston graduated in 18 months 7 hours a day 5 days a week no spring or summer breaks ;)

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 07:12:15 AM »
Besides ignorance, ...the ability to build leverage in my life, the desire for freedom and a lifestyle of my own choosing based on what I wanted, not what some employer was willing to give me.

The idea of having to peel my tush out of a nice warm bed to go work for someone else disgusts me.
Training my own supervisors, and often doing the work they were never capable of, always disgusted me,

...and the joy of being my own boss, setting my own hours, and not having to hold my tongue if I choose not to, is a rite of passage I could never give up. Life is too short to be lived in a perpetual state of uncertainty regarding your status. The realization that there really are only 2 words between you & the door (You're Fired, Down Sizing, or Lay Offs (Take your pick). The realization that the only true job security one has is when you're looking at the boss in the mirror. Life is too short to be lived in a state of resentment, doing a job you hate, with co-workers you hate, or to spend the majority of one's productive hours begging for the clock to strike so you can run out to the nearest bar, and get drunk in an attempt to push the last 8 - 9 hrs out of your mind.

Following your passion is far healthier mentally, emotionally, spiritually & physically... and you accomplish a lot more.

That was a very good post!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 08:07:30 AM »

Very good.  Did you write that yourself?
w

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »

are you implying that jaqtranny is a non believer in education

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »
BA Communications from the Universiy of Illinois

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »

yes I did.
w

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 02:00:05 AM »
Spent 6 months in college.  Ended up going to St. Petersburg, FL with the Montreal Expos in 1977.  Started armwrestling in 1983.  Ever since 1986 I have done allot but mostly have fun and get paid allot of money to do it.  Have started numerous businesses and have made plenty of money without school.  Used to sports to launch whatever half-assed career I had.  I am currently in the process of opening 2 Gold's Gyms at once on the Big Island of Hawaii with BJ Penn and his family.  Projected opening date is October 2006.  I am doing alright for a guy who literally works part time from his home on the beach in Hawaii.  Wasted allot of time from 1998 to maybe a couple years ago feeling down and out.  But the rebound is coming around nicely finally.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »
i just turned 20  and i already graduated from college have it paid off , have my own house ,have three cars, and three motorcycles, work for myself in something completely unrelated to my degree and could not be happier if i knew this before college i would not have went, a degree is held too high in the eyes of the public and is way overrated

body88

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »
i just turned 20  and i already graduated from college have it paid off , have my own house ,have three cars, and three motorcycles, work for myself in something completely unrelated to my degree and could not be happier if i knew this before college i would not have went, a degree is held too high in the eyes of the public and is way overrated

And for all the success you have had there are hundreds who do not. Drive to the richest neighborhood you know. 98 percent of the people there went to college. Have a degree. You worked hard and it payed off. That doesent just happen for everyone. I know many a carpenter or failed business owner who proves my point. A degree is not a ticket to anything. But it damn sure gives you better options.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 09:02:13 PM »
And for all the success you have had there are hundreds who do not. Drive to the richest neighborhood you know. 98 percent of the people there went to college. Have a degree. You worked hard and it payed off. That doesent just happen for everyone. I know many a carpenter or failed business owner who proves my point. A degree is not a ticket to anything. But it damn sure gives you better options.
your right alot of people i know who have the same degree as i do and never did as well as i had so far but a degree is a good bargaining chip i actually have a job interview tomorrow that i would never get if i didn't have a degree so its kind of a double edged sword because i also have a friend that is worth over 2 million at 21 years old with no degree

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 10:59:05 PM »
hhhhhhhhhhhhh

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
The stats are there and cannot be disputed.  On average, those with college degrees earn more than those without them.  However, the "degree" is not a guarantee to anything.  I have come across MANY over-educated/underachievers.  They settle into a cushy corporate job & never really do much with their degrees.  Conversely, I have a client who is my age.  He does not even have a high school degree and owns a profitable $30 million company.   But again, based on the stats, he is an exception. 

In my own experience, my education helped me open the door to job opportunities.  Now, as a management consultant, I doubt potential clients would take me too seriously if I did not have an education. 

But beyond having a “degree”, I have honestly been able to apply just about everything I've learned in business school, to the real world of business.  That’s where the real value has come in for me.  In fact, I still refer back to my college books, and stay in touch with several of my professors and many of my peers. 

I went into it just wanting a framed piece of paper, and came out “enlightened” and with a network of colleagues.   
w

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »
The stats are there and cannot be disputed.  On average, those with college degrees earn more than those without them.  However, the "degree" is not a guarantee to anything.  I have come across MANY over-educated/underachievers.  They settle into a cushy corporate job & never really do much with their degrees.  Conversely, I have a client who is my age.  He does not even have a high school degree and owns a profitable $30 million company.   But again, based on the stats, he is an exception. 

In my own experience, my education helped me open the door to job opportunities.  Now, as a management consultant, I doubt potential clients would take me too seriously if I did not have an education. 

But beyond having a “degree”, I have honestly been able to apply just about everything I've learned in business school, to the real world of business.  That’s where the real value has come in for me.  In fact, I still refer back to my college books, and stay in touch with several of my professors and many of my peers. 

I went into it just wanting a framed piece of paper, and came out “enlightened” and with a network of colleagues.   

Great stuff. Can you give an example? 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »
The examples are endless.  I refer to my marketing books every time I write a marketing plan for a client.  Whenever I launch new products/brands, I always refer back to my statistic books to incorporate consumer behavior probabilities, or finance for ROI/break even analysis.  I probably write 2-4 business plans per year.  When I do I always have my business strategy books by my side.  For many of the clients I work with, I have formed a board of directors/councelors to help shape strategy and keep the company on course.  In some of them, I have appointed former class mates.  In one, I have my former marketing professor. 

How goes it DF?  Are you in the US yet?

w

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 10:10:29 AM »
In what business did you and you friend achieve success?
i never said i was worth that much but i do day trading and my friend owns a construction and fire extinguisher company

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »

this is a perfect example of what i wanted to say but was to lazy to type ;D and i agree without the connections i made in college i would never have my money making resources i have today

body88

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »
i never said i was worth that much but i do day trading and my friend owns a construction and fire extinguisher company

Cool. Good for you. You seem to be well on your way!

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »
I will have my CIS bachelor's degree by next month.