Author Topic: Earn a pro card in wt classes but no wt classes in the pros?? wtf  (Read 2866 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Why do all pro qualifiers have the winners of the wt classes earn pro cards and then have no wt classes in the pro ranks? It would make a lot more sense to :

1. Have open , no wt class pro qualifiers or  2. wt classes in pros.  I mean c'mon pro boxers have the same wt classes as the amatuers,but, hmmm, college and olympic wrestlers have wt classes but the WWE pros is an open circus some morons enjoy watching. I guess pro bodybuilding wants to take the lead of pro wrasslin'????? Kinda obvious why we have some degree of azz clownery 'eh?

I love how the MC at the 2004 GNC pro said ; " Next up, back from a lay off   is Victor Martinez" Hmmm, was that lay off time served the year prior in the state pen ;)  Which makes me ask ,  how convicted felons can compete as pros??
I guess I answered my own question ;D

*Having said that , I still plan to attend/support both pro and NPC shows....go figure ::)
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: Earn a pro card in wt classes but no wt classes in the pros?? wtf
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 09:50:19 PM »
well actually just the nationals gives a pro card to every class winner...usa gives overall and 2nd....team u and north america are both overall.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »
well actually just the nationals gives a pro card to every class winner...usa gives overall and 2nd....team u and north america are both overall.

True, but you still have to compete in and win your wt class is my point.
I still can't fathom why the IFBB would allow convicted felons to compete as pros????
Especially if you got convicted for a drug charge> I mean, that does violate many of the actual rules the pros should follow listed in the IFBB's own web page????????

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 10:25:33 PM »
This is the first Howie rant that I have to agree with.  Maybe we should have height classes in amateur basketball - makes no sense.
Motherboy (the band).

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:46:29 PM »
Why do all pro qualifiers have the winners of the wt classes earn pro cards and then have no wt classes in the pro ranks?

At one time, I think 1977-1979, there were two classes in the pros, but many pro competitors have said that they want to compete against each other, not be restricted in a weight class in the pros. This lasted three years, if I remember correctly...

That being said, Larry Peper, host of muscleradio.com, had proposed setting up for the Mr. Olympia, three weight classes, with the top five in each weight classes, being able to compete at night in a single class. It was an interesting idea....

I still can't fathom why the IFBB would allow convicted felons to compete as pros?

Well, football, baseball, basketball, boxing all of the same problems. Remember Mike Tyson...

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 11:44:02 PM »
I do remeber Tyson, but if you remember he had a lot of hassle and review from the boxing comm over this as do the other sports. Bodybuilding seems to just shrug and not even flinch...not sure which is better LOL.
I would opt for ht classes myself. That way en of similar stature could line up and be more easily judged is my deal

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 11:48:05 PM »
I do remeber Tyson, but if you remember he had a lot of hassle and review from the boxing comm over this as do the other sports. Bodybuilding seems to just shrug and not even flinch...not sure which is better LOL.
I would opt for ht classes myself. That way en of similar stature could line up and be more easily judged is my deal

Why should you be penalized forever AFTER being in prison?

Doesn't make sense at all to me.

Give those who do time a legit chance at making a comeback into society.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »

YIP
Zack

In theory I agree, but why is it they have rules against it in the actual IFBB rule book?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »
If weight classes didn't work in the pros (or the athletes didn't like them), why does NPC do it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the contests should be the same through the ranks. 
Motherboy (the band).

Dorian 01

• Getbig III
  • Ronnie Rockel > Ronnie Coleman
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:56 AM »
Then when those guys turn pro, they feel it necessary to add 15-30lbs in a hurry so they can have a fair shot at competing. Possibly ruining what made them good in the first place.
T

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 06:09:51 AM »
Then when those guys turn pro, they feel it necessary to add 15-30lbs in a hurry so they can have a fair shot at competing. Possibly ruining what made them good in the first place.

Right, but if they can't compete - why are they a pro?  Again, you don't see other sports where you become pro and have no chance of even being competitive...
Motherboy (the band).

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 06:33:45 AM »
Right, but if they can't compete - why are they a pro?  Again, you don't see other sports where you become pro and have no chance of even being competitive...

true, and that's wht bb can't be considered a 'sport'.
it's a freak show, a circus event or a chemical enhancement study. but not a sport.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 06:40:35 AM »

YIP
Zack

Sure, but what about pros like vic martinez who get off easy by ratting out other pros and serving 1 month in what seemed like a summer youth camp?

1MoreRep

P.S. Hedge, ever do time?

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »
True, but you still have to compete in and win your wt class is my point.
I still can't fathom why the IFBB would allow convicted felons to compete as pros????
Especially if you got convicted for a drug charge> I mean, that does violate many of the actual rules the pros should follow listed in the IFBB's own web page????????

Felons shouldn't be allowed to earn a living? we all  make mistakes why shouldn't they be allowed to eat like you or i?
Here comes the money shot

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 07:06:49 AM »
Felons shouldn't be allowed to earn a living? we all  make mistakes why shouldn't they be allowed to eat like you or i?

I think you missed Howie's point.  Howie mentioned that convicted felons shouldn't be allowed to compete in the IFBB again, ESPECIALLY AFTER GETTING SLAPPED WITH DRUG CHARGES.  This is a "sport" where you are exposed to drug use all the time, either by the "athlete" himself or by others around you and let us not forget that this is also a sport where these same "athletes" use recreational drugs as if they were toilet paper.  I think what Howie might have been getting at is that since they got convicted of a drug charge, why put them within the ultimate temptation all over?

If a convicted paedophile was released from prison, would you hire him to once again take up his old role at the day care center for kids? That sucka needs to eat as well, but I don't want him eating out my little girl.

I know a man needs to survive, but he can also do so by getting a job elsewhere in society where he won't be at a potential disadvantage. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »

The same applies to the Mr. Universe winners.

At least at that show and with the Nationals in the USA, you have to (at the very least) win a weight class to earn a pro card. What I don't get is how the folks in Canada. At least three people have turned pro from the Canadian Nationals, without winning their weight class. I know of two right off the bat: Scott Milne and Christine Roth.