Author Topic: Mary Elizabeth Lado goes Hollywood?? REPOST  (Read 4104 times)

SirGossip

• Getbig II
Mary Elizabeth Lado goes Hollywood?? REPOST
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:20 AM »
Posted this on MAYHEM, but it is kind of quiet over there and I was wondering what you guys/gals thought about this...

J.M. Manion chimed in on the other thread to confirm a lot of this...

---------------------------------------------------

I’ve often wondered what has prevented the fitness and figure women from “crossing over” into more mainstream media and a lot of times when I ask somebody in the bodybuilding industry about this they seem to indicate that the women are “too muscular” or something like that. Basically, the bodybuilding world seems to take the position that it is not their fault, and that the rest of the world just doesn’t “get it” – and therefore the economic opportunity is simply limited for those in the sport when compared to people like Jennifer Anniston or Jennifer Garner…

I tend to disagree with this notion. I think that the reason you don’t see people like Davana Medina or Monica Brandt “cross-over” is because they simply don’t have the ability /personality/ character / vision or whatever to drive their persona into the mass consumer area of interest and make themselves relevant.

Arnold faced the same sort of challenge when he first decided he wanted to break into Hollywood. Guys of his size had very limited appeal he was told – let alone the fact that he had an accent. The odds were against him, yet he not only crossed-over, he REDEFINED what it meant to be certain character-types in the movies. He created opportunity for himself where there was none before. THIS is what is required for success I think – and THIS is what leads me to a comment or two about Ms. Lado…

Recently, I was at a major Hollywood event, The Superman Returns Premiere, and who do I see on the red carpet? Yep, Mary Lado.

Not only did I see here there, but I saw her hanging out with the TOP BRASS of Warner Bros…

She seemed to know them some how, and they seemed happy to see her. So I stood by in amazement and watched her press flesh with the CEO of Warner Bros. (Barry Meyer) the President of Warner Bros. (Alan Horn), the President of Warner Bros. Theatrical (Jeff Robinov), the President of Warner Home Entertainment (Kevin Tsujihara) The President of Warner Bros. Theatrical Marketing (Dawn Taubin), The President of Legendary Pictures (Scott Mednick), and a number of the visiting celebrities, including Superman himself (Brandon Routh!!)

I witnessed this all on the red carpet, and then at the huge after party, I watched in amazement as she hung out with the “in crowd” as if she had known these people for years…

(By the way, Mary was definitely “off-season” but you could tell that she has put on a lot of quality muscle since her big win at the Arnold. Her shape looks great. It looks like she has all the foundation she needs to cut down and win the big “O” – Davana, Jenny, and Monica need to get serious.)

Now, this is the first time I have ever seen anyone from the Figure circuit break into an A-List level Hollywood premiere and party and actually spend quality time with the top people there. So this raises a few questions for me:

1.) Mary’s incredible rise in Figure has been paralleled by no other. She came onto the scene and has clearly shown herself to be made of champion material – is this a product of her great physique only or a combination of an engrossing personality as well – and is it this personality (like Arnolds) that is carrying her to the top of the sport as well as up an beyond into major Hollywood opportunities? An “Arnold-like” cross-over to commercial celebrity success for a competitor like Mary could do wonders for the profile of Figure competition. Go girl go!

2.) Does Mary have some sort of family lineage that relates to Hollywood somehow? If she has an uncle or something that is a power player in Hollywood, I could then understand how she might be at such an exclusive event, however if she does not, I am going to keep a serious eye on this girl because she is displaying some of the “larger-than-life” characteristics that can make someone incredibly successful.

So anyway, what is the scoop here? I managed to find a picture that was taken at the after party of Mary while she was hanging out and talking to Superman himself. They seemed friendly... I dunno. Just the fact that she was there and talking to the star of a major Hollywood film on THE NIGHT of the premiere tells me something. I’m sure that Superman (Brandon) was pretty busy that night so if he is taking time out to talk with Mary, well she must have some kind of Hollywood juice…

I will be watching this girl closely. She can’t hide in Louisiana forever...

-SirGossip

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Mary Elizabeth Lado goes Hollywood?? REPOST
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 05:20:40 AM »

Cool stuff - nice to see good things happening for Mary.

I’ve often wondered what has prevented the fitness and figure women from “crossing over” into more mainstream media and a lot of times when I ask somebody in the bodybuilding industry about this they seem to indicate that the women are “too muscular” or something like that.

I tend to disagree with this notion. I think that the reason you don’t see people like Davana Medina or Monica Brandt “cross-over” is because they simply don’t have the ability /personality/ character / vision or whatever to drive their persona into the mass consumer area of interest and make themselves relevant.

The women (and men) who succeed in the physique game do so because, simply stated, they're good at it.

That does not, however, translate into them being good at modeling, acting, public speaking, etc. 

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:19:20 AM »
 ;D

FlexGuns

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:35 AM »
I'd like to see Mary Lado and Mandy Blank do a movie together. Something with an X rated.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:38:09 AM »
wb shawn
Z

Slick Vic

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
Best of luck to her. I think that's great!  8)

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 10:04:39 PM »
That's true.. but there are sooo many people out there in this fitness/bodybuilding industry. Surely they can't all be bad at acting??

I wonder why Shawn Ray never got into the movies?

-SirGossip

His voice

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »
didn't baygbm say he knew something about bryan singer's past? . . . i think the connection b/w bb/fitness and show business is right there.

latrell

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
;D

yeahhh!! shawns back, finally!

nice to see you back champ!