Author Topic: UFC 1 Repeats!!  (Read 1628 times)

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
UFC 1 Repeats!!
« on: July 04, 2006, 06:38:13 PM »
I was just watching Spike and they had some UFC 1 repeats.  They are pretty awesome, and I actually remember watching those live on PPV on New Years Eve.

It is amazing to see how the sport has evolved over the last 15 years.  Just fighting and training styles.  There is much more ground work today....well gracie won most of his matches by submission and ground fighting, and all of his opponents tried to fight.

The uniforms and outfits are much more standardized now.  I forgot they were allowed to fight bare knuckle.  Ouch for both fighters!

I don't believe headbutts are still allowed, unlike back then.

The refs were absolutely HORRIBLE!  They barely stopped fights when people were tapping out!  They are very safe about submissions nowadays.

Just an interesting observation.
Sleep Big.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
Re: UFC 1 Repeats!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:17:30 AM »
lol that fight wear gracie fought van cleif?  lol van cleif had what...10 different black belts?

AND GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM!

THE OLD SCHOOL DAYS WERE THE BEST! no gloves..nothing..just your style against his!

kimo was doing mildly well against gracie..but in the end they all submit

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »
I think his baggy uniform was an advantage bc no one could grab Gracie at all.  my .02
Sleep Big.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 10:16:02 PM »
lol that fight wear gracie fought van cleif?  lol van cleif had what...10 different black belts?

AND GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM!

THE OLD SCHOOL DAYS WERE THE BEST! no gloves..nothing..just your style against his!

kimo was doing mildly well against gracie..but in the end they all submit

Van Clief is a phony. He has a 10th degree black belt in the style he invented lol. Supposedly he merged Japanese/Okinawan Goju-Ryu karate with Chinese styles. The announcer made a mistake and said he has a black belt in 10 different arts. He's 10 dan in his own style.
"Shut the F up and train"

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »

gracie won most of his matches by submission and ground fighting, and all of his opponents tried to fight.

Really?  ;D
"Shut the F up and train"

seemytree

• Getbig II
  • chuuck!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »
speaking of horrible refs... did you see the ufc where this guy was continuously elbowing the other guy's balls and the ref let it happen for a full 10sec.... and the guy won!

horrible and unsafe back then
doodie