Author Topic: Kenpo  (Read 1821 times)

NPCOK

• Getbig II
Kenpo
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »
What do you guys think of Kenpo for stand up? I am doing bjj on Saturdays and I have been working stand up (wing chun, muay tai, kali) on Friday's. There is a guy at one of the gyms that I train at who teaches Kenpo. I am doing my first private with him this evening. Just wanted some opinions from people who know more about it than me. I'm a competitive bodybuilder. I just started getting into MMA about 6-7 months ago. I'm done with all of my bodybuilding shows for the year so I'm wanting to get into MMA training at least 2-3 times a week. My traininig split is Mon-Fri, so I'm doing MMA training friday evening and Saturday so that it does not interfere with bodybuilding. Thanks

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
Re: Kenpo
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »
I earned a brown belt in Kenpo before I basically just lost interest and drive and just quit.  But I would not recommend that someone interested in getting into MMA put much of a focus on Karate.  Not that it wouldn't be good training but I would strongly recommend that you keep focusing on the kickboxing.  Karate can teach a lot about how to handle yourself, but in most street (MMA) fights a lot of it just can't be applied.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 02:33:23 PM »
I earned a brown belt in Kenpo before I basically just lost interest and drive and just quit.  But I would not recommend that someone interested in getting into MMA put much of a focus on Karate.  Not that it wouldn't be good training but I would strongly recommend that you keep focusing on the kickboxing.  Karate can teach a lot about how to handle yourself, but in most street (MMA) fights a lot of it just can't be applied.

I agree completely, I did 3 years of Goju Ryu Karate before I realized it  just wasn't applicable in the real world, it's great for tournaments and exhibitions, but as far as real fighting goes, stick with Muay Thai, BJJ, etc.

NPCOK

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
Ok thanks....I'm new to this so I appreciate the feedback!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »
yeah stick with what you are doing.  Your stand up should be pretty good with the wing chun.  how long have you  been doing it?

Logan32

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 04:29:45 PM »
Chuck Liddel studied Kenpo I think or it was Kempo.....