Author Topic: How much flaxseed oil capsules you take per day?  (Read 25352 times)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
Re: How much flaxseed oil capsules you take per day?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »
Seriously?????  I got a whole botle of flax......what would be better for now, flax, olive, sawflower, or some almonds/walnuts?  In am shake........

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 12:46:43 PM »
so what are we saying??  Nix flax?

Basically ~ Yes
We want Omega 3's.  We all know that.  But, omega's differ ~ long chain vs short chain, ~ without getting into a big scientific disertation, the bottom line is:  We want EPA & DHA .  EPA & DHA come DIRECTLY from fish and fish oil.  Flax oil is ALA (Alpha-linolenic Acid)(not to be confused with Alpha-Lipoic Acid).  The reason we're always hearing about getting ALA from flax and other sources is because the body CONVERTS it into what it needs (EPA & DHA), BUT the process is very inefficeint and the conversion rate is only 5-10%.  So it's best to get it from the source ~ FISH!

Now, there are a whole host of other benefits from flax - from the seeds - Ground (not whole), but that would be a whole other thread.

FYI ~ here's some more interesting info.

A recent study of about 47,000 men has found the ALA omega-3 fatty acids stimulate the growth of prostate tumors in men. Of the men monitored over 14 years, some 3,000 struggled with prostate cancer and about one in seven were suffering from the advanced stages of the disease.

Researchers found men who were suffering from advanced prostate cancer had higher quantities of ALA from non-animal as well as meat and dairy sources.

Scientists also found EPA and DHA could reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer too. How does EPA and DHA work to prevent prostate cancer? Researchers offered these possibilities:

* modification of membrane phospholipid composition
    * alteration of cell signaling and receptor activity
    * lipid peroxidation
    * cyclooxygenase inhibition
    * cytokine production
    * interference with androgen activity

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition July 2004 80(1);204-216
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »
Seriously?????  I got a whole botle of flax......what would be better for now, flax, olive, sawflower, or some almonds/walnuts?  In am shake........

These are all good. So use them all in moderation.  They are fat and they do pack 9 calories per gram.  Fish oil just seems to have more health benefits than the rest, good for fat loss, memory, vision, anti-inflammation, etc.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »

Just finish out the flax oil - 2T/day
Adios the safflower for sure - no need
Incorporate 3-6 grams fish oil in the future
Keep the nuts - in small quantities ~ if that's possible  ;)
:

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 05:36:14 AM »
Thanks....I usually have:

1/2 teaspoon of flax and a fish oil cap with my am shake

then I have about 25 peanuts in the shell right before bed with my cottage cheese and casein shake.  Is this a bad idea?  Fat gain?  I typically consume it laying down, watching the tube and love this meal, but is it detremental???

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:58 AM »
there's better nuts than peanuts, try cashew though it's more expensive
Z

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 05:50:11 AM »
You scare me bro.....cashews are one of the WORST fats, if their is a worse.....almonds and walnuts are much better choices, however, I like peanuts!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:19 PM »
You scare me bro.....cashews are one of the WORST fats, if their is a worse.....almonds and walnuts are much better choices, however, I like peanuts!

Cashews are a fine monounsaturated fat actually providing more mono than peanuts per ounce.
Actually, peanuts are a legume, related to peas, lentils, chickpeas and other beans and not a nut at all.

http://livingheart.com/dietresources/monounsaturated_fat.asp
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »
I know I'm repeating my prior post, but I think some of the recommendations you are getting as to dosage are too low to ensure maximimum benefit:

"On dosage, you should probably take at least 10 capsules (10g).  This is because most research on the effects of EPA and DHA in humans have involved at least 3 grams of the total of EPA plus DHA (i.e. an amount that requires 10 grams of fish oil, because most fish oil contains only 18% EPA and 12% DHA)."

By the way, I just checked the label on my fish oil in my desk at work and indeed, it does say that 1 softgel gives 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA.  1o capsules would therefore equal 3g of combined EPA/DHA.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:43 PM »

"On dosage, you should probably take at least 10 capsules (10g).  This is because most research on the effects of EPA and DHA in humans have involved at least 3 grams of the total of EPA plus DHA (i.e. an amount that requires 10 grams of fish oil, because most fish oil contains only 18% EPA and 12% DHA)."

By the way, I just checked the label on my fish oil in my desk at work and indeed, it does say that 1 softgel gives 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA.  1o capsules would therefore equal 3g of combined EPA/DHA.

Although it's very confusing, the 2 big main studies (DART and GISSI)  (for which many have followed)  used (and subsequently suggest) 1.5g - 2.5g providing  450 - 850 EPA/DHA respectively which converts to what we usually see on the market - ie; 1000mg capsules (1 Gram) providing 180 EPA 120 DHA (= 300 EPA/DHA).  Since it's impossible to take 1/2 of a cap, we round it up.  So..... to get the 850 we round it up to 900 which is 3 caps.  Those studies as well as many follow ups and what the AHA bases their recommendations on is, obviouisly, heart health.   Hopefully, by now, we all realize fish oil provides a whole host of other benefits from arthritis to brain health, hence the tendancy to recommend something more along the lines of 5-6 grams (5-6/1000 mg caps providing 1500-1800 EPA-DHA).  BTW (FWIW), these studies use a 2:1 EPA to DHA ratio which for some reason is practically impossible to find on the retail market (why  ??? ), but if you've got deep pockets, caps fitting the profile are out there.
:

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2006, 05:47:05 AM »
so best case scenerio would be to have a serving of nuts for one meal, 2-3 fish oil tabs in one meal and a tb of flax in another......adequate... ...?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
This is some of the research I've found concerning dosage.  Some of the studies use the higher dosages requiring closer to ten fish caps to get the required EPA/DHA amounts.

“In order to match the dosage used in several major studies, you should take enough fish oil to supply about 2-3 g of EPA (2000-3500 mg) and about 1-2.5 g of DHA daily (1000 to 2500 mg). Far higher doses have been used in some studies, however.”  http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21684

“Effects of supplementation with fish oil derived n-3 fatty acids and gamma-linolenic acid on circulating plasma lipids and fatty acid profiles in women. "A randomized controlled trial on 31 women assigned some to receive either 4 g EPA/DHA (4:0 control group), 4g EPA/DHA plus 1g gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) (4:1), 2 g GLA (4:2), or 4g GLA (4:4) daily for 28 days.”

“Purified eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids have differential effects on serum lipids and lipoproteins, LDL particle size.  A study on 59 overweight, non-smoking men with mild hyperlipidemia, who consumed 4 g of EPA or DHA or olive oil for 6 weeks, reported decreased serum triglyceride concentrations in those taking EPA or DHA, both found in fish oil. In addition, the DHA-supplemented group also had a significant increase in serum HDL2 cholesterol concentrations.”

“Effect of low-to-moderate amounts of dietary fish oil in nuetrophil lipid composition and function.  A study involving very high daily intake of ù-3 fatty acids (9.4 g EPA plus 5 g DHA per day) did show improvements in people with inflammatory disorders. Healthy adult male volunteers were randomized to receive one of four dietary supplements with different concentrations of fish oil or placebo oil for 12 weeks. Those receiving low to moderate concentrations of fish oil supplementation, using a daily intake of 0.58 g of EPA and 1.67 g of DHA, demonstrated modest improvements in indicators of immunity and possible reductions in inflammation.”

“Effects of oils rich in eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids on immune cell composition and function in healthy humans.   A double-blind, placebo-controlled parallel study on 42 healthy subjects was conducted to determine on the effects of EPA-rich oil (4.7 g/day) or DHA-rich oil (4.9 g/day) versus placebo (olive oil) on various immune outcomes over a 4 week period. Out of the parameters of immune function measured in the study, DHA supplementation only decreased T lymphocyte activation (assessed by expression of CD69) in healthy subjects, however EPA did not have a significant effect.”

Protective effect of Fish Oil Supplementation on Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction in Asthma  Fish oil may be beneficial for asthmatic subjects with exercise-induced bronchoconstriction (EIB). A randomized, double-blind cross-over study was conducted on sixteen asthmatic patients with EIB following a normal diet, and either received daily fish oil supplements (3.2 g EPA, 2.0 g DHA) or placebo for 3 weeks. Pulmonary function and production of pro-inflammatory markers (i.e. leukotriene E4, prostaglandin D2, interleukin-1B, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, etc.) was assessed. The fish oil diet improved pulmonary function and significantly reduced proinflammatory eicosanoid metabolites, prostaglandins, and cytokines both before and after exercise compared to the normal and placebo diets.

http://www.vitaminherbuniversity.com/topic.asp?categoryid=3&topicid=1036

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:23 PM »
This is some of the research I've found concerning dosage.  Some of the studies use the higher dosages requiring closer to ten fish caps to get the required EPA/DHA amounts.

In the "treatment" of many conditions, yes, more has been shown to be necessary.  For general, basic, overall health maintenance and well-being, 3-6 grams fish oil is adequate.  It confuses the general public, especially those with conditions like arthritis diabetes or high cholesterol where more is generally necessary.  For the treatment of neurological disorders including ADHD/ADD the necessary dosages are extremely high.  Fish oil has blood thinning properties and at high doses could be of concern.

This site has a ton of great info. http://www.oilofpisces.com/
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »
High doses of fish oil will make you stink too, kinda of like consuming garlic does.  The fishy smell will be coming out of your breath and out of your pores.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 08:19:01 AM »

This site has a ton of great info. http://www.oilofpisces.com/

Thanks for the great site.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »

EFA's
for which your body needs to convert in order to get the benefits
a very ineffecient process
Fish oil is much more effective cuz there's no conversion needed

100% agreed.  The quality of the fish oil is important too.

Flax seed oil causes my skin to break out. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
100% agreed.  The quality of the fish oil is important too.

I think (hope :-\) the refining processes have gotten a lot better.

Flax seed oil causes my skin to break out. 

Really  ??? :o
You sure it didn't go bad on you?  Flax oil is a very unstable oil.
:

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 08:11:25 AM »
Truth of the matter is, flax, fish, olive, are all great efa's and should be used as part of your daily diet...just my opinion.....at night, I consume walnuts, almonds and an occasional peanut or 40........