Author Topic: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls  (Read 63647 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2006, 05:45:54 PM »
1.) Since 1998, the breed most involved in fatal attacks has been the
Rottweiler, not the pit bull.
2.) Although there are no accurate or even near accurate census records
for dogs in the U.S., in some populations pit bulls are estimated to
comprise some 30-40% of the dog population, making it by FAR the most
popular breed. Considering that there are an estimated 53,000,000 dogs
in the U.S., and assuming that pit bulls make up 20% of that population,
there would be approximately 10,600,000 pit bulls in our society. In
1998, five pit bulls were involved in 2 fatal attacks. That is roughly
ONE dog out of 2,120,000 - or .00004716 percent of the pit bull
population.
3.) Over the 32-year period from 1965-2001, pit bulls have been blamed
for an average of 2.48 human fatalities per year.
4.) About 40 people (children) per year die by drowning in 5-gallon
water pails. A person, during their lifetime, is 16 times more likely to
drown in a 5-gallon water pail than to be killed by a pit bull.
5.) Approximately 50 children in the US are killed every year by their
cribs - 25 times the number of children and adults killed by pit bulls.
6.) Approximately 150 people are killed every year by falling coconuts.
Therefore, you are more than 60 TIMES MORE LIKELY to be killed by a PALM
TREE than a pit bull.
7.) Each year, 350 people drown in their bathtubs. You are 151 times
more likely to be killed by your bathtub than you are by a pit bull.
8.) Every year, more than 2,000 children in the U.S. are killed by their
parents or guardians either through abuse or neglect. A child is more
than 800 times more likely to be killed by their caretaker than by a pit
bull.
9.) It is estimated that 5,000,000 dogs per year are killed in shelters.
Since in many places pit bulls make up 30-50% of the shelter population,
and are less likely to be considered for placement than any other breed,
guessing that 25% of those dogs killed are pit bulls is a very
conservative estimate. Therefore, it can be assumed that roughly
1,250,000 pit bulls are killed per year.
Therefore - it is at least a HALF MILLION TIMES MORE LIKELY that a pit
bull will be killed by a HUMAN than the other way around.
10.) It can be estimated that for every pit bull who kills, there are
10.5 MILLION that DON'T.
This country wants to ban/destroy 10.5 million innocent dogs for the actions of 0.94% of its category?
Does that seem fair to you?

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2006, 07:07:17 PM »
Woof..

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2006, 05:07:10 AM »
It is not the fault of the pitbull that they are strong and capable of severe damage.My parents dog is 18 lbs...he has a bad attitude,and the only reason HE doesn't maul people is because he is only 18 pounds...the aggresive nature is there...he is a grade A prick.Dogs are just like people...they come with many different personalities.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2006, 09:00:48 AM »
Woof..
Cool looking Dog ARMZ.....looks alot like Diego's father

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
That's Animal, on left side..  He's my pride and joy.. He's almost at 200 pounds now, the biggest of them all at the moment.. I've yet to find a dog of any breed with better temperament.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »
That's Animal, on left side..  He's my pride and joy.. He's almost at 200 pounds now, the biggest of them all at the moment.. I've yet to find a dog of any breed with better temperament.

I have to agree.  I have always been a little "Leary" about Rotties because when i was growing up, a friend had one that was a complete spaz.  I knew the lines were close with that dog & felt that contributed to the doing being hyperactive.
I have raised alot of dogs (mostly labs) but I am extremely impressed on the temperament on this puppy.  Extremely smart & even as a puppy, how fast he learns obedience.  Since the first day I put a leash on him, he healed & had him sitting on command withing the first hour.  The funny part was....it wasn't even my intensions.  I just wanted to take him for a walk & within minutes realized he was wanting to do this after showing him once or twice.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
sad story......hopefully she finds a good home.

PitBull Drug by Car Still needs Foster/Adopter -Florida
Body:   We are in a dire need of Foster/Adopter for her to
recover in...

Hello,
My name is Serenity and for a good reason!! I came to
the HAPBTR from a wonderful person who saw me sitting
in a shelter all alone in the back. They found me hit
and drug a long distance by a car, full of road rash,
and wounds so bad you could see my muscle.. They
brought me back and are dressing my wounds as much as
they could because they were not going to put me up
for adoption... They also found out that I am severly
heartworm positive. I'm under going heartworm
treatment now for the HAPBTR, but I don't have a calm
foster home to recover in!!! As a matter of fact, I
don't even have a sponser!!

I need somewhere I can
recover in peace, are you that place?

I am such an
awesome girl, I love dogs, of all shapes and
sizes.. I love people, oh do I love people. For
everything people have done to me, I still love people.
 I am full of
love and life, and want to live out the rest of my
days in someones arms with another pup to play with...
Please let me stay free from harms way, I have come so
far... I don't want to stop now...

I'm recovering
pretty well, but you can still see my scarring and how
bad my open wounds still are.

We are in a dire need of Foster/Adopter for her to
recover in...

Donations are not dire, but always help!!
HAPBTR ATTN: Jennifer
P.O. Box 164
Mango Florida, 33550

Director Devilyn - 813-770-8170

Paypal: KissAPit@yahoo.com

Hospital she is attending :
All Creatures Animal Hospital
813-949-2706
105 Sunset Lane,
Lutz FL 33549

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
very sad

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2006, 05:47:28 PM »
good article talking about why bsl is bs.....this is the kind of stuff that needs to be in the media more often.

Published: Thursday, July 20, 2006

"In this country, you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Unless you're a pit bull, which means you're guilty until proven innocent."

So says Simon Fraser University PhD candidate and pit bull owner Niki Huitson, whose master's thesis for the university's criminology department says breed-specific bylaws penalize dogs -- like pit bulls -- unfairly.

"They are not effective in reducing dog bites, which is supposed to be their goal," Huitson said.

Her research looked at the incidence of dog bites across Canada and the U.S., and found the only thing that worked was responsible dog ownership.

"By banning dogs, you're not reaching the owners, which are the problem," Huitson said.

In the Lower Mainland, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, New Westminster and West Vancouver all have breed-specific bylaws, meaning pit bulls must be muzzled when in public and kept indoors or in prescribed outdoor enclosures.

Ontario has a similar province-wide bylaw, in addition to insisting that all pit bulls be neutered.

"Is that going to reduce dog bites in Ontario? No," says Huitson.

"Because there are statistics from England that say when they introduced a similar breed ban there, it didn't reduce dog bites at all."

As an example of a jurisdiction that works, she cites Calgary, which considers a dog dangerous only when it has attacked a person or another dog without provocation.

"In Calgary, 92 per cent of dog owners register their dogs. "And they have the least restrictive dog laws there are. They have the most off-leash parks and the most areas where dogs can be free. And yet they have the lowest number of dog bites."

She attributes that to a system of stiff fines that penalize the owner, not the dog.

Vancouver came to the same conclusion last November when it did away with its breed-specific bylaw in favour of one similar to Calgary's.

"We recognized it's not just pit bulls; any dog can be a vicious dog," said Bob Cristofoli, supervisor of field operations for Vancouver Animal Control.

"They all have 42 teeth, and they all have the capability of biting."

nread@png.canwest.com

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2006, 09:12:44 AM »
PETCO trainer kills dog.

unbelievable...and how stupid can the owners be to stand by and let someone do this to their dog ???

http://www.wptv.com/News/072006_PreliminaryNecropsyReport.cfm

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
PETCO trainer kills dog.

unbelievable...and how stupid can the owners be to stand by and let someone do this to their dog ???

http://www.wptv.com/News/072006_PreliminaryNecropsyReport.cfm

I never in my life heard of something bizarre like this.

The woman must of been into voodoo or some shit

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »

I never in my life heard of something bizarre like this.

The woman must of been into voodoo or some shit

i have never either...but according to this trainer she has done this with many dogs and will continue to work with dogs...PETCOs response was that they are not responsible for what their employees do on their off time.

the necropsy report this evening said the dog went blind from heat stroke, and had internal bleeding from the trainer sitting on the dog for an hour. The report said the State Attorney's office will DECIDE whether to prosecute the trainer.

that is also crazy...there should be no deciding...this nut case needs stopped from ever working with dogs again.

take a second to email the DA and help him "decide" what to do in this case....here is his info.

Barry Krischer, State Attorney
401 N Dixie Hwy,
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Phone; 561-335-7100
FAX 561-366-1800

email: Stateattorney@sa15.state.fl.us

body88

« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2006, 03:37:35 PM »
I was in Petco today with my American Bulldog. Most of you guys have seen pics of him. He is 7 months old and the sweetest dog. he has been through 25 hours of training along with daily practice with me. Socialized since he was young with both children and other animals. I was sitting with him in line and alot of people where petting him and also just asking what his name was etc. He noticed a small terrier ( yorkie?) in the line next to us. He strained against his leash to go say hello and the old bag of an owner yelped that he was attacking! My dog is 7 months old. He is the sweetest dog ever. After she put on a big show she realized most people where looking at her like she was an idiot. She then said to herself "thought he was attacking". ::)  Guess she missed the 4 year old girl hugging and kissing my dog 30 sec before he "attacked". The dog was literally trying to say hello to her dog.

Ignorant idiots.

body88

« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
Not to say she didn't overreact, but you never know how dog friendly another dog is.   She could of just asked you to please restrain your dog.   Now the pitbull that was out unattended when I was walking my male dane and followed us across the street could of been the friendliest dog in the world, but I was pissed off and scared to be put in that situation.   I have had other unleashed dogs come up to me when walking my other dogs.   Not fun and they were not pitbulls.  It put me in a bad spot and also my dog who had to tolerate being sniffed by a dog that was unleashed and had the upper hand because she was obeying me when I told her to be a good girl. She looked at me and restrained herself.  Finally a kid came over and got the dog.   Now my dog could of gotten fed up and growled at this dog and who knows what would of happened.  That woman's dog might have not been really dog friendly and snapped at your dog and ya never know.   

When I walk my dogs I cross the street or move over on the grass when someone else is approaching.  I will put myself on the side closest to the person and make them sit if we need to wait for them to go by.   Now here is a case of someone really overreacting:

I had my 1/2 dane out for a walk and I notice about a block and a half away a guy coming towards us on a bicycle.   I take my dog up a hill onto the grass as soon as I see this.   As the guy rides by I notice he has his hand up in the air with a butterfly knife opened!!   He was ready to stab my dog!  We were up on a hill minimally 15 feet away from the sidewalk and had moved up there way before he was even close to us.  If that was not showing someone that you have respect for that person I don't know what else I could of done.   Still pisses me off.
    >:(

Yeah I would agree. The only thing was we where in petco, in line with both our dogs leashed. She was about 5 feet to the right off me. My dog was straining against the leash smiling trying to meet her dog who was straining against her leash trying to meet him. She then proclaimed my dog was attacking very loudly. Everyone just sort of looked at her like " what a drama queen". She then felt stupid and muttered " I thought he was attacking". Shre knew full well my dog wasent attacking. he was meeting all the other dogs in line just fine before he went to meet her pup. She was just trying to be dramatic. She was a c*nt : )

As for the pit roaming free. That is a bad idea. Same for any dog really. You had every right to be angry. When a person lets thier dog roam free they are putting people in danger. That is a huge reason these animals get a bad rap. Owner negligence.

How are things?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »
Denver kills 36 pit bulls
By Sarah Langbein, Rocky Mountain News
July 21, 2006

Tami Bishop lost her fight to keep three-dozen pit bulls alive when the owner of the dogs gave them up to avoid jail.

The dogs were euthanized Thursday night after Denver Animal Control received a court order to put the dogs down, the shelters executive director, Doug Kelley, said Friday.

The dogs owner, Michael Padilla, entered into a plea agreement that would keep him out of jail. He also signed over ownership of the pooches to the city.

"Id end up going to jail and still not getting the dogs back," Padilla said Friday. "I didnt have no choice. I got a family to feed and bills to pay. They steam-rolled me."

Kelley said the dogs had to be euthanized because it was Padillas second pit bull offense in Denver where the breed is banned.

But Bishop argued the city misinterpreted its dog ordinance and had other choices, including her offer to transport the pit bulls out of state with her own money.

She was on a plane Friday afternoon and unaware that the dogs, including 13 puppies, had been killed. She only knew that the pit bulls were no longer at the shelter, she said in a voicemail message.

On May 29, 38 pit bulls owned by Padilla were seized from a home in Denver. Padilla said he was moving from Texas to a new home in Adams County but stopped in Denver to pick up and move his ill mother.

Neighbors complained the dogs were barking and crammed into cages on the property.

Padilla was cited for cruelty to animals, animal neglect and violating Denvers pit bull ban. The dogs were removed from his care, and two were put down because of illness.

Padilla was also convicted in 2002 for having a pit bull in Denver. At that time, Padilla signed an affidavit promising not to bring pit bulls back into the city. If he did, the dogs may be euthanized, according to the document.

And thats what happened Thursday, when they were given a fatal dose of sodium barbitol, which costs the city between $30 and $45 a bottle.

"I feel like I let the dogs down," Padilla said. "I feel really guilty. My whole family is sick over it.

"The law needs to be changed. This is ridiculous."

Padilla was given a 90-day suspended jail sentence and a fine of $500, which was also suspended. Hell be on probation for one year. If he receives anything other than a traffic violation, hell be sent to jail, according to the terms of the plea agreement.

Kelley said his employees are shaken up by the loss of the dogs. But he also said that its a relief because the dogs were there "way too long."

"This is a really difficult thing for the staff," he said. "It tugs at your emotions. Its a tough day for everybody."

Padilla disagrees, saying that he believes the city was set on killing his dogs, which were said to have a sweet disposition.

"Thats how sick these people are," he said of the city and its pit bull ordinance. "They were happy to kill my dogs."

Padilla said hes looking into suing the city.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4861985,00.html

body88

« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
She definately overreacted.  I was just as ticked off at the mixed breed dog that came up to us as I was at the pitpull.  Though I was more afraid of the pitbull just because I would not want to have had to stop a fight with that dog.  And noone ever came out to get the pitbull.  That was unbelievable.   At least with the other dog the kid was down the street.   Gives any dog a bad rap when people allow that to happen.  And don't they care if the dog gets hit by a car, or runs away or even taken?!?   

Things are good, thanks.  Got a new pup myself, a chi.   Yup, a viscious little ankle biter!! lol

Post some pics!

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
My opinion is there's a lot of uneducated people out there.

here's Diego with a couple of his brother & sisters on a playdate about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago.

Diego is the big pup that looks like goof trying to get out of the pool.

Inspired by knny187, I had to go buy a kiddie pool for my rotts..  Picture taken today of my only brave boy to jump right in.. Others took some pushing..

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2006, 06:01:42 PM »
look at what a mess italy is in with these dog bans....arent these bans supposed to stop vicious dog attacks???

Italy started off with a small list of dog either banned or heavily restricted. There are now 92 different breeds on that list. Here are a few notable breeds on that list:

Border Collie, Schipperke, Australian shepherd, Belgian shepherd, German Sheperd Dog, Catalan Sheepdog, Great Pyrenees, Bearded Collie, Rough Collie, Smooth Collie, Old English Sheepdog, Welsh Corgi, Dutch Sheperd Dog, Wolfhund, Portuguese Sheepdog, Australian Cattle Dog, Bouvier des Flandres ,Dobermann, Miniature Pinscher, Schnauzer, Argentinian Dogo, Brasileiro, Boxer, Rottweiler, Dogue Bordeaux, Bulldog, Bullmastiff, Mastiff, Neapolitan mastiff, Tosa, Anatolian Sheperd, Newfoundland, Pyrenees Mountain Dog, Bernese Mountain Dog, Saint Bernard Dog, Swiss Mountain Dog, Catalan Sheepdog, Shetland Sheepdog, Pumi, Shar-pei...

The countrys initial proposed breed ban never prevented dog attacks. Irresponsible dog owners just kept turning to other breeds! Interesting to note, the American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and American Pit Bull Terrier are not amongst the list. Could it be that other countries have better news media coverage that report all actual attacks and not just the best headliners?? Full list on breeds banned or restricted in Italy can be viewed at the following: http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/Locations/Italy/Italy.htm

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2006, 06:50:30 PM »
if you care about pit bulls please take a min. to sign this petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/257409023

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2006, 08:01:09 PM »
well it seems to be that this thread has pretty much died out...might as well end things off with some pics.

THE KING OF ALL DOGS.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2006, 08:18:27 PM »
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION ABOVE.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2006, 08:24:36 PM »
THE KING

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2006, 06:23:35 AM »

WTF?    That's cruel as hell!   That right there doesn't help the PB image!

yes it is very cruel but that is also a part of the apbt history...they were bred for bull baiting...it doesnt change what a great dog they are.

body88

« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2006, 07:14:17 AM »
My neighbor has a 3 month old staffy rescue. She tried to get him into doggy day care. They have a no pitbull poilicy ::)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »

WTF?    That's cruel as hell!   That right there doesn't help the PB image!

The bear would kick arse if it wasn't de-clawed or have a ring through it's nose.