Author Topic: Rich Franklin's training  (Read 11721 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Rich Franklin's training
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:42:48 AM »
im watching rich franklin all access now and his training is pretty cool:

he do circuit training:

15 reps
10 stations
10 rotations

= 1500 reps

no rest

and drinks 1,5 gallons a day of water ?!

Z

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
Re: Rich Franklin's training
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:49:58 AM »
What exercises were they and in what order?  This is interesting since he has more of a somewhat bb physique than most mma guys...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:59:53 AM »
cant remember, nothing fancy. leg press, smith press for shoulders
stuff like that
Z

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:00:42 PM »
Here is a clip

&search=rich%20franklin
RIP Bob Probert

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »
yeah that's the one
Z

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 09:34:19 PM »
It said 1500 reps in 60 minutes...so for every minute he does 25 reps and @ .41 reps per second!  If that's true, i'm beyond amazed!!!  I like Rich but with as much running as he does back and forth from machine to machine that seems a little far fetched...

Anyone else agree?

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:36:16 AM »
It said 1500 reps in 60 minutes...so for every minute he does 25 reps and @ .41 reps per second!  If that's true, i'm beyond amazed!!!  I like Rich but with as much running as he does back and forth from machine to machine that seems a little far fetched...

Anyone else agree?

When you put it like that, it does start to sound exaggerated.  Still serious workout, but maybe stretched a little.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 11:53:45 PM »
When you put it like that, it does start to sound exaggerated.  Still serious workout, but maybe stretched a little.

Agreed...one things for sure is that I would take a pass with Rich if it came down to it!  He's a bad mofo!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 06:58:57 AM »
damn

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:47:32 AM »

Anyone else agree?

Interesting calculation ::)

1 hour = 60 minutes = 3600 seconds

1500 reps in 3600 seconds = one rep every 2.4 seconds.....What you did is: you took 1500 and divided with 3600 (result: 0.41) instead of dividing 3600 (time) with 1500 (reps)...

Even if you take your correct result: 25 reps per minute (60 seconds) it is obvious that result is the same: 2.4 seconds to perform 1 rep....(considering that Rich is going through with virtually no rest between sets - it is certainly possible to complete the workout like this).

However - while both Randy and Rich have good idea of circuit training (multiple stations, countless reps, non-stop action, little or no break in between...etc...etc) I must say they didn't consider several other very important issues of weight resistance training for MMA.

All the cardio training, boxing, kick-boxing, submission training, wrestling, sparing...etc, etc is bringing up their endurance to very high level.

Resistance training COULD and SHOULD improve their endurance but AT THE SAME TIME - they should also focus on SPEED and POWER they can gain IF they put some thought into designing THE BEST MMA weight resistance training...

I will only say - they are on the right track...but missing few little twists that would make ALL THE DIFFERENCE...

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:34:57 AM »

I will only say - they are on the right track...but missing few little twists that would make ALL THE DIFFERENCE...

OK, I'd like to hear any suggestions if you'd be generous enough to share them...just some general ones; I know that part of your income is helping with training programs, etc ;)

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »
you have to pay to pick The Mind mate
Scouser on Tour

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »
OK, I'd like to hear any suggestions if you'd be generous enough to share them...just some general ones; I know that part of your income is helping with training programs, etc ;)

It is not everything in money...and I do many things for free.
Most of my gym members get my consultations FREE on daily bases.

I am big fan of MMA...and I respect a great deal both Randy and Rich (Randy impresses me for OTHER reasons as well - and that is why I am big fan of his)...Without the question they are in superb shape and excellent fighters with great stamina, endurance and conditioning...but I am talking about weight resistance training DESIGNED for MMA fighters that would along with superior endurance CONSIDERABLY increase their SPEED and POWER.

Training displayed on two of their training videos while GOOD (should I use - OPTIMAL?) it is far from GREAT (should I say - MAXIMAL?) in terms of increasing few other important factors OTHER than endurance.

If you guys just give honest try and THINK about it - many would come up with the answers ;)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 01:30:14 PM »
brutal size and strength, hahahahahahaha. ::)
Jaejonna rows 125!!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 01:33:34 PM »
I can tell ya right now that after watching that video, if it is a TRUE representation of what Rich is doing for the strength and condition aspect of his program, I aint impressed.  He is a good mma fighter, but their are MUCH better exercise selections to maximize his results....These exercises were done on stationary machines...not taken into consideration balnce, power and explosiveness...they were simply tossing weights around.  Folks, the way a rep is done (speed neg/explosive positive) is very important to a fighter...Teach and train the nervous sytem.  This workout, if accurately depicted in this video is no better than a 1970's jack la lanne circuit (which is even better becauise of excercise placement,upper/lower with cardio stations and more accurately is called peripheal heart action (PHA)training).  I do like the unilateral sled however.......The seated leg curls, for him or a fighter, should be thrown in the garbage.  MUCH better exercises to be done.  

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 02:40:21 PM »

1500 reps in 3600 seconds = one rep every 2.4 seconds.....What you did is: you took 1500 and divided with 3600 (result: 0.41) instead of dividing 3600 (time) with 1500 (reps)...

Even if you take your correct result: 25 reps per minute (60 seconds) it is obvious that result is the same: 2.4 seconds to perform 1 rep....(considering that Rich is going through with virtually no rest between sets - it is certainly possible to complete the workout like this).

However - while both Randy and Rich have good idea of circuit training (multiple stations, countless reps, non-stop action, little or no break in between...etc...etc) I must say they didn't consider several other very important issues of weight resistance training for MMA.

All the cardio training, boxing, kick-boxing, submission training, wrestling, sparing...etc, etc is bringing up their endurance to very high level.

Resistance training COULD and SHOULD improve their endurance but AT THE SAME TIME - they should also focus on SPEED and POWER they can gain IF they put some thought into designing THE BEST MMA weight resistance training...

Your way makes alot more sense.  My math has always been a little sketchy.  Thank god I am not an accountant...Even at 2.4 seconds a rep it seems to me with all the running back and forth kinda quick.  I do agree with you about needing some power as well.  Alot of mma fighters think like boxers and only want to have as much mass as they feel comfortable to fight with if that makes sense.  For example, Rich feels good in his mind at 185 with how his conditioning is and how much weight he puts back on for the fight after the weigh in and gaining any more muscle in his mind would slow him down.  Classic thinking of a boxer...

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
Your way makes alot more sense.  My math has always been a little sketchy.  Thank god I am not an accountant...Even at 2.4 seconds a rep it seems to me with all the running back and forth kinda quick.  I do agree with you about needing some power as well.  Alot of mma fighters think like boxers and only want to have as much mass as they feel comfortable to fight with if that makes sense.  For example, Rich feels good in his mind at 185 with how his conditioning is and how much weight he puts back on for the fight after the weigh in and gaining any more muscle in his mind would slow him down.  Classic thinking of a boxer...

I am  NOT talking about bulking up (hypertrophy training)...I was thinking SPEED and POWER...not a MUSCLE...

Rich and Randy have MORE THAN ENOUGH muscle mass for a fighters...and as everyone knows - MUSCLE MASS is not necessary for fighting (unless is completely nonexistant...)...
Functional muscle adapted (with specific weight resistance training) to extreme SPEED and POWER could make even guys like Rich and Randy even more devastating strikers (even though in Rich's case it is hard to imagine than he could get any better than he already is with his "lightning speed" punches...I believe in Bruce Lee's philosophy "accept NO limitations as a limitation" and therefore I think that even Rich can further improve speed and power of his punches...Records are there (world records in numerous sports) to be broken - so everyone at whatever level of excellence CAN always become EVEN BETTER...)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 09:24:10 PM »

translation i could never do this and he would kick my ass (endurance wise) not only in the weight room but in real life

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 12:21:50 PM »

If you guys just give honest try and THINK about it - many would come up with the answers ;)

I'm thinking something along the lines of German Comp training ???

BTW, did I mention I'm a big fan, Milos?

And I think Ray's a jerk ;D

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 06:00:34 PM »
I'm thinking something along the lines of German Comp training ???

BTW, did I mention I'm a big fan, Milos?

And I think Ray's a jerk ;D

No, I wouldn't go with German Comp this time around (even though IT IS GREAT training system)...

Randy and Rich are on the right track as far as doing multiple exercises one after another (giant sets...) but CHOICE of exercises and WAYS of performing them COULD make a world of difference.

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 07:31:59 PM »
Rep speed?  Rep range?  Compound mvmt's vs isolation? 
C'mon Mind, you're killing me here!!! ;D

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 07:03:42 AM »
Rep speed?  Rep range?  Compound mvmt's vs isolation? 
C'mon Mind, you're killing me here!!! ;D

THINK ABOUT IT:

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH with resistance training for a fighter?
Would you want him to do slow isolation moves to be able to squeeze his muscles and "scare ::)" the opponent?

Off course not. Most of the fighters can't wait to get in the ring with "muscleman" as they count on bulked up guys being slow and unable to move...punch...etc
However, few know that IF "muscleman" trains specifically to become a fighter - they can be LETHAL...When someone knows how to punch and has the weight behind it...it could be deadly...and when someone has better balance (strong stance and submission defence) it is much harder to throw...

So, resistance training SHOULD simulate all the moves that would happen in the usual fight...and stimulate all the muscles used in the fight as well...You should think about numerous stances, throws, punches, submissions...etc when you are designing the workout program.

Also rep speed and way of performing exercises could be very different. For the most part OFF COURSE - as explosive as possible...but I will go to other end as well - and sometimes include even STATIC contractions (as an extreme...)

I hope I gave you SOME ;D ideas...

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »
THINK ABOUT IT:

Would you want him to do slow isolation moves to be able to squeeze his muscles and "scare ::)" the opponent?

Off course not. Most of the fighters can't wait to get in the ring with "muscleman" as they count on bulked up guys being slow and unable to move...punch...etc
However, few know that IF "muscleman" trains specifically to become a fighter - they can be LETHAL...When someone knows how to punch and has the weight behind it...it could be deadly...and when someone has better balance (strong stance and submission defence) it is much harder to throw...

So, resistance training SHOULD simulate all the moves that would happen in the usual fight...and stimulate all the muscles used in the fight as well...You should think about numerous stances, throws, punches, submissions...etc when you are designing the workout program.

Also rep speed and way of performing exercises could be very different. For the most part OFF COURSE - as explosive as possible...but I will go to other end as well - and sometimes include even STATIC contractions (as an extreme...)

Damn bro have you ever thought about being a strength coach for fighters?  With your background it should be easy and those dudes got bank...well maybe some do...if they win a few fights that is... ;D

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »
THINK ABOUT IT:

I think JC Santana and Rhadi Ferguson got the best strength training for combat athletes.  I got a couple of their DVDs, and their transverse training, and SAID principles are great stuff!  My friend, Curtis Lefler, (RIP) used to train Vitor Belfort.  You should consider training fighters as well, Milos. 

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 06:21:25 AM »
I dont think this is thier full trainning more like a sample of part of it. think about it u think they never hit a heavy bag ect ??? Of course they do, plus as a competitive fighter ur not gonna tell ppl every thing u do!
Youre competitors would have a eild day finding out ur weak points, and copying ur best techniques!
P