Author Topic: Retirement Announcement: Scott, Haney & Yates  (Read 3790 times)

Armageddon

• Getbig III
Retirement Announcement: Scott, Haney & Yates
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:37:01 AM »
When did Larry Scott, Lee Haney & Dorian Yates announced their retirement.  Was it immediately after their last win or just before the next Mr. O Contest ??

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Retirement Announcement: Scott, Haney & Yates
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 08:45:56 AM »
When did Larry Scott, Lee Haney & Dorian Yates announced their retirement.  Was it immediately after their last win or just before the next Mr. O Contest ??

I believe Scott did at the end of the 66 Olympia contest . to be honest I don't know about Haney I don't think it was at the conclusion of the 91 contest and Yates did the day of the 1998 contest , after 97 he thought he could just have his tricep reattached but I guess the injury was more severe than originally thought and he couldn't train as hard or heavy as usual so he said he could no longer train and make improvements so he retired .

Stavios

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 08:48:10 AM »
I believe Scott did at the end of the 66 Olympia contest . to be honest I don't know about Haney I don't think it was at the conclusion of the 91 contest and Yates did the day of the 1998 contest , after 97 he thought he could just have his tricep reattached but I guess the injury was more severe than originally thought and he couldn't train as hard or heavy as usual so he said he could no longer train and make improvements so he retired .

so people didn't know dorian wasn't competing in 98 ?

Armageddon

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »

how did he get injured?

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 08:49:16 AM »
so people didn't know dorian wasn't competing in 98 ?

no, they knew...if you watch BFTO 98, they talk about Dorian not being in the competition and wondering who will win..

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
how did he get injured?

He tore his left tricep tendon while doing lying extensions.  He didn't get it repaired until after the '97 Olympia.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
He tore his left tricep tendon while doing lying extensions.  He didn't get it repaired until after the '97 Olympia.

actually, he had it repaired in the month leading up to the olympia..

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:07:19 PM »
Apparently Yates took a look at an improved Coleman with arms 4-5" bigger than his, and coincidentally announced his retirement shortly thereafter.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:08:16 PM »
Rumor has it Yates took a look at Coleman and coincidentally announced his retirement shortly thereafter.

why do you make posts like this to stir shit up? :-\

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
why do you make posts like this to stir shit up?

You should find better things to discuss. :-\

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »
Apparently Yates took a look at an improved Coleman with arms 4-5" bigger than his, and coincidentally announced his retirement shortly thereafter.

Oh yes he feared Coleman a man who he beat eight occasions previously  ::) in your fantasy he feared Coleman . and Ronnie 98 just barely beat Flex by the skin of his teeth in 98 by just 3 points , he was very lucky they didn't go with Flex just based on his name .

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »
yates announced his retirement at the noc 98 i believe, but i may be wrong. looking now.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »
yates announced his retirement at the noc 98 i believe, but i may be wrong. looking now.

You know what you may be right . but here is a pic of him at the 98 Olympia making it offical I guess and giving his fairwell speech .

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »
actually, he had it repaired in the month leading up to the olympia..
no he did not. he had it repaired AFTER  the olympia. from yates book, " the damaged tri was operated on in new york on oct 28, 1997, but healing was slower than expected. by the summer of 98, he still couldnt train at 100% capacity".

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »
no he did not. he had it repaired AFTER  the olympia. from yates book, " the damaged tri was operated on in new york on oct 28, 1997, but healing was slower than expected. by the summer of 98, he still couldnt train at 100% capacity".
thanks for correcting me, it was my understanding it was repaired beforehand

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »
there was no time to have surgery and get ready for the o.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 01:34:59 PM »
there was no time to have surgery and get ready for the o.

well, I know he didn't train the last month or so...

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 01:40:03 PM »
didnt have to train, he was there already, just had to maintain condition(that he did) and won with straight 1s across the board.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
Haney announced his retirement at the 1992 ASC.  Not sure what the logistics of that was.
he wanted to go for one more but the wife would not let him and maybe he was getting concerned with yates?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 01:45:10 PM »
he wanted to go for one more but the wife would not let him and maybe he was getting concerned with yates?

Haney had nothing to prove why compete and run the risk of tarnishing is perfect record , Yates on the other hand wanted Haney to compete in 92 he was very confident he would beat him , I think if Haney showed up the way he did in 91 in 92 and Yates did the same Haney could have beat him again and if Haney entered 93 looking the way he did in 91 I think Yates would have beat him .

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »
But if Haney had improved by 1993, which Haney was always doing, he would have taken Yates to school.

Yates would have blown Haney out of the water. Haney's legs were much smaller than Dorian's, and his back couldn't hold up to Yates either (let's not even compare lower backs), both had poorly shaped arms, Yates was just thicker everywhere.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
Haney's 1991 size with Gaspari's 1987 hardness would have owned Yates.

;D

Dorian's legs at 241 lbs were already bigger than Haney's at the same weight....it would have been lights out for Haney in 93.

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »

Yates tricep was so badly torn that the first time he flexed it after the injury was on stage during the olympa prejudging!