Author Topic: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia  (Read 178196 times)

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
Re: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2006, 11:09:37 AM »
240, I can see your point clearly. I am ALL for the 2nd & 3rd tier guys getting exposure and making a decent living for their hard work. But at the same time, even if the bottom tier 1 guys in the IFBB decide to do these shows, it still keeps the 2nd & 3rd tier guys 2nd & 3rd tier.

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2006, 11:12:33 AM »

BTW, does anyone think the SAME supplement companies are going to spend MORE money to support another federation catering to the same fan base?

This is very true! I don't think any supp comany will want to spend double of what they already spend on a whole other fan base when it's essentially the same. Double expo fees, double expenses, etc....NOT!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2006, 11:12:54 AM »
As I said before...all things being equal, if all the guys can compete in all the shows...we end up with the SAME shows on both sides of the fence...no more money to the lower tier guys, same money to the top guys....and two watered down federations and fan bases.

BTW, does anyone think the SAME supplement companies are going to spend MORE money to support another federation catering to the same fan base?

Okay.  So what do you have against the top guys earning more money, bob?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
240, I can see your point clearly. I am ALL for the 2nd & 3rd tier guys getting exposure and making a decent living for their hard work. But at the same time, even if the bottom tier 1 guys in the IFBB decide to do these shows, it still keeps the 2nd & 3rd tier guys 2nd & 3rd tier.

Were not even talking 2nd and 3rd tier PRO'S...were talking about amatuers that couldn't cut the mustard in some cases, where they going?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:44 AM »
I think bodybuilding is kind of a joke because guys can choose when they want to compete.  They should be paid a salary and be MADE to compete in every single show.

That would make it more interesting.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »

Um...Yes....Universal being one of them! Muscletech is another rumored to also get involved with the PDI

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »
Bottom line...

The athletes' earning power is being limited.  Bob, you're part of the problem.

Either become an all-out advocate for them earning every penny, or step back and let Lee or someone else do the job.  

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »
Were not even talking 2nd and 3rd tier PRO'S...were talking about amatuers that couldn't cut the mustard in some cases, where they going?
  ummmm ouch for Rhino, Vinny  and TJ. I do see where Chick is coming with his argument.
L

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2006, 11:22:20 AM »
Um...Yes....Universal being one of them! Muscletech is another rumored to also get involved with the PDI

Muscletech is not sponsoring the PDI, Met-Rx either...one of them actually told them to remove their logo from the poster/ website some time ago.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:08 AM »
I don't agree with not being allowed to make appearances, guest posing, seminars, etc...at non-IFBB sanctioned events. I believe as "independent contractors", they (IFBB) cannot dictate that we cant make money outside the IFBB when they aren't compensating us.

I don't have as big an issue with competing in other federations simply for the fact that the best opportunities are within the IFBB as it is...I think as long as an IFBB athlete is representing the IFBB in good standing, in advertisements, and being billed as an IFBB athlete...I see no good reason to limit the earning power of a athlete that is supporting and sustaining, the IFBB.

I will be submitting this for consideration in the upcoming board of governors meeting on behalf of all IFBB athletes.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2006, 11:27:28 AM »

Isn't that called Marketing your product?

I think it would be a waste of $$$ if it wasn't catering to the appropriate customer base.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »
Is Twinlab still sponsoring IFBB events after this season.  Also, what makes you people think these supplement companies want to stay with the IFBB.  If so why did the Toronto Pro get cancelled.  And haven't some of the companies already reducing sponsorship dollars in the IFBB.  These supp companies are getting tired of sponsoring IFBB events and not getting anything out of it.  I would think they would look for something different.  ANd with the PDI going to Europe it's a good time to climb on board and get your product into the European market. 

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »
Except for Lee, are you guys really impressed with the lineup of the NOC this year?
Just a question.

Not at all..

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »
I'm not saying the guy will win the thing but his "shape" is what they should start rewarding over pure size even if it costs them a few hardcore fans for a year or two...

Even my dear old mom thinks VT has a great body and she hates the sport...

There are competitors in the Olympia with better shape + size over Taylor.  Get real..

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: July 19, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Except for Lee, are you guys really impressed with the lineup of the NOC this year?
Just a question.

Guys, the NOC talent may be a little weak but after it is a success watch how many other IFBB pros will be jumping ship. Lee Priest is going to have to change his cell phone number as I am sure it will be blowing up with calls from Pro's asking all sorts of questions....

It seems that you guys like kowing outcomes....

Mr Olympia 06
1. Ronnie
2. Jay
3. Dex
4. Gustavo
5. Gunther
6 Branch

(3-6 interchangeable) but dont you want to see something different. Thats why I a going to the NOC, I am curious to see who shows up and if Lee will be crowned the first Champ of the new fed.....

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »
1.  The IFBB is preventing it, promising bans for anyone who competes

2.  If even one guy (Lee) is NOT saying "Let's wait and see", it's the athletes rep job to represent him to the best of his abilities, for the right to earn in both federations.

3.  There have been sponsors announced.  Wayne has a pretty good history of paying guys - he did manage to run things in the IFBB pretty well for 20 years.  You have no reason to believe that guys will be stiffed.  I'd be a lot more nervous about some of the smaller show IFBB promoters than Wayne DeMilia in his debut independent production.

Wayne stiffed competitors out of the top 10 at the '98 Olympia.  He wasted $60,000 on Sinbad as an emcee (which he did really do), instead of spreading it out among the remaining competitors who did qualify for the Olympia.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #441 on: July 19, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »
He wasted $60,000 on Sinbad as an emcee (which he did really do)

Money spent on hiring Sinbad is never wasted.

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #442 on: July 19, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »
Money spent on hiring Sinbad is never wasted.

He sucked-wasn't funny & not needed to pack the Theater at Madison Square Garden.  $60,000 should have went to the competitors.  A few competitors weren't too happy with that situation & voiced their opinions in magazine interviews.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »
Wayne stiffed competitors out of the top 10 at the '98 Olympia.  He wasted $60,000 on Sinbad as an emcee (which he did really do), instead of spreading it out among the remaining competitors who did qualify for the Olympia.

Wasted?

Don't forget that 240 or bust believes in the idea of hiring a comedian to boost ticket sales.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »
I do.  Someone funny though.  Chris Rock.  Or sarcasm. 

Sinbad is wack.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2006, 12:44:01 PM »
I do.  Someone funny though.

You don't think Chick "brings the noise", emcee-wise?  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
Yes, those Bber lightbulb jokes were topnotch.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:55 PM »
Yes, those Bber lightbulb jokes were topnotch.

Chick: So how many bodybuilders does it take to change a lightbulb? Give up? Three! One to unscrew it and the other two to spot him!

Audience: That's not particularly funny.

Chick: Know your role and STFU.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »
I do.  Someone funny though.  Chris Rock.  Or sarcasm. 

Sinbad is wack.

Personally I would stick with HHH, guy knows the industry pretty well and obviously has no problems on the mic and reeling in an audience.

shutupandtrain88

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
Is Twinlab still sponsoring IFBB events after this season.  Also, what makes you people think these supplement companies want to stay with the IFBB.  If so why did the Toronto Pro get cancelled.  And haven't some of the companies already reducing sponsorship dollars in the IFBB.  These supp companies are getting tired of sponsoring IFBB events and not getting anything out of it.  I would think they would look for something different.  ANd with the PDI going to Europe it's a good time to climb on board and get your product into the European market. 

What happens when/if the supp companies bail on the IFBB?  Will everyone be out of jobs?  where will the athletic supporter/rep be then?  oops sorry,,,good point in the quote,,,why wouldn't some of the companies be moving to PDI if the NOC goes off well?  the olympia has turned into the most dramatic edge of your seat contest on the planet!!!  wow, sorry again, mistyped there but you get the point the olympia is like that loaf of bread you forgot about and is as stale as can hell.  some more excitement is needed and if the PDI will make things a little more exciting, then it's Good.  actually though with the overpriced supp market as it is, why wouldn't they sponsor both for a bit, if they are losing out at one federation then cut the losses.  IS the IFBB using the old style soprano's pressure here?  more than enough people are going to keep buying the supps and spending $$ despite if the atlete is and IFBB or PDI.