Author Topic: Dave Draper Most Celebrated Ironage Bodybuilder With CLASS  (Read 18993 times)

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Dave Draper Most Celebrated Ironage Bodybuilder With CLASS
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
'Maybe cause Draper looked so bad, that is why they idolized arnold so much'
Jaejonna needs his head examined....
I hope when Mr.Getbig comes along we all get to see his pics...they better be REALLY REALLY good....
Didn't he post some once???? Anyone???
And some people are surprised why bodybuilders get a bad rap   ::)
If Dave draper was sugar he'd be hershey pennsylvania and Jaejonna would be a twinkie.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2006, 06:46:57 PM »
Yes i think you need to articulate-powerlifters have nothing to do with Draper.
the point is, is that you can love to lift AND not strive for a 'pretty' physique.
bbers have to focus on not just lifting but sculpting the overall appearance.
powerlifters love lifting (like draper) but dont give a rat's ass about being asthetic.
i figure draper did the 'bbing thing' for a while because it was easily available to him, but didnt really have his heart into bodybuilding so he didnt care to put in the effort required to attain great aesthetics needed for bbing the way, say, zane, robby or even arnold  did, which is why he got left in the dust by the rest of the guys.
he was probably just a guy who liked lifting, had decent genetics and kinda got by on that for a while, but then when lots of more serious competition came about and the requirements and sacrifices necessary to compete at a high level came about, he decided he wasnt really into all that so he checked himself out of the game.

slummin

• Getbig II
  • BB Vips posting here encourage the growing disease
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
i figure draper did the 'bbing thing' for a while because it was easily available to him, but didnt really have his heart into bodybuilding so he didnt care to put in the effort required to attain great aesthetics needed for bbing the way,

you figure, do ya? well, that's enlightening

I figure you're a fk'n moron with a bad member name - how's that for enlightnement? about the same level huh?

fact is Draper loved sculpting the body - it was the stage he wasn't into

he was probably just a guy who liked lifting, had decent genetics and kinda got by on that for a while, but then when lots of more serious competition came about and the requirements and sacrifices necessary to compete at a high level came about, he decided he wasnt really into all

this don't happen "easy" in the late 60's Jethro

the guy was the Arnold the decade before Arnold and that ain't half bad, wake the F up

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2006, 07:28:48 PM »
bbers have to focus on not just lifting but sculpting the overall appearance.
powerlifters love lifting (like draper) but dont give a rat's ass about being asthetic.
i figure draper did the 'bbing thing' for a while because it was easily available to him, but didnt really have his heart into bodybuilding so he didnt care to put in the effort required to attain great aesthetics

You've completely & negatively misinterpreted because you don't have the depth to know the context of those times. Learn from this and don't jump to insane assumptions with little evidence:

-He was like powerlifters in being very much into training in the Dungeon and then Gold's, but that didn't mean he didn't care about aesthetics! If you did a poll, Draper would be one of the most desirable physiques of the golden era of BB in fact-so much for lack of aesthetics.

-As mentioned, he was Arnold before Arnold.

he was probably just a guy who liked lifting, had decent genetics and kinda got by on that for a while, but then when lots of more serious competition came about and the requirements and sacrifices necessary to compete at a high level came about, he decided he wasnt really into all that so he checked himself out of the game.

I don't know how you can say he was into training (true) and then say he didn't train hard enough to be good enough-insane jump in logic.

The reality was in fact quite different:

-Weider wanted a real salesman to elevate BB & move product. Neither Oliva or Draper had that quality, and were brushed aside in lieu of Schwarzenegger.

-Draper slipped into heavy alcohol dependance. IF he had been healthy, the film crew that was turned away at his house during the filming of Pumping Iron would've included him and perhaps your distorted perceptions of him would be quite different had he maintained some degree of exposure into the 70s and beyond, which he didn't.

-Draper sued Weider successfully in the early 70s, after being paid peanuts working in Weider's warehouse while Schwarzenegger got preferred treatment. The acrimony eliminated his commercial exposure in Weider magazines.

The lack of media exposure at a critical time in the early-mid 70s is why guys like you and ND the confused neophyte don't have a clue about him-nothing to do with the physique! ;D

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »

you figure, do ya? well, that's enlightening

I figure you're a fk'n moron with a bad member name - how's that for enlightnement? about the same level huh?

fact is Draper loved sculpting the body - it was the stage he wasn't into

this don't happen "easy" in the late 60's Jethro

choke on a boner cock sucker :)

jacshelb

• Getbig II
  • "guys in tank tops are assholes"
Re: Dave Draper Most Overrated Bodybuilder EVER!!!
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2006, 11:59:49 PM »
No, the bench press record holder from 1962 would still be stronger than almost everyone who ever lifted a weight. Only an idiot would deny the greatness of a past champion just because the current champions are bigger/stronger/faster. You can argue that so an so had a better physique than Dave Draper, but it is pure bullshit to say that he had a mediocre or shitty build. That's like saying Jesse Owens wasn't that great because today's runners are faster, or that Jim Braddock was a shitty boxer because Vladimir Klitchko would destroy him in the ring. These guys are still better than 99.999% of the population, including no-name losers like "dzulboy".

Take a deep breath...  Of course Dave is more muscular than most will ever be and the record holder  from 62 is stronger than most people alive.  Read my post again and you'll see that I'm just trying to give a well rounded, objective perspective that brought up different viewpoints. 

Let me just state, again, that I actually like Dave's physique overall.  As I said before, it has that "classic/heroic" quality that I find inspirational.  I would LOVE to have his build and I look up to what he accomplished.  But, that wasn't the question.  The question is: "was he overrated?"  I think in some ways yes, in that he had some noticeable deficiencies in his build while some others didn't have so much and got less press.  And, in some ways, no he wasn't overrated- he still had a pretty good physique, especially for his time.  What really put Dave over in the 60s was his wholesome good looks.  What puts him over today is his dedication and humble attitude. 

I've already stated what I didn't like about him, so there are some things that I do appreciate.  Nobody is perfect.  Thank goodness or we'd all be the same and that would be boring as hell.

Jacob

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »
choke on a boner cock sucker :)

Your incredibly clever reply tells me I made my point down on your level

.................next  8)

sinkoci

• Getbig II
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2006, 05:35:59 AM »
He didn't have genetics like Arnold but he still managed to build a body that a lot of people couldn't dream of even in this scientific era.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 05:37:57 AM »
Draper was awesome dude. If you want to pic on somebody pic of Robby Robinson. The guy can't weight more than 165 pounds.

????????? Robby competed at 200 to 215 pounds.
The House that Ruth built

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2006, 05:57:10 AM »
Whats really funny bout this thread is that I am actually a Dave Draper fan!!! ;D
L

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2006, 06:16:51 AM »
Whats really funny bout this thread is that I am actually a Dave Draper fan!!!

Is that why the heading to this thread was changed radically to something more favorable or was there backpeddling involved? ;D

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2006, 06:18:27 AM »
Is that why the heading to this thread was changed radically to something more favorable or was there backpeddling involved? ;D
I dont know who changed the title, probably someone with Mod powers...my last statment was sarcastic, I guess the only way to save face is by changing the title then so be it.
L

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2006, 06:29:16 AM »
Draper says in his book he hated competing. He was just a dude who lifted and won some contests.
$

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2006, 07:21:31 AM »
Whats really funny bout this thread is that I am actually a Dave Draper fan!!! ;D

I knew you'd come to your senses

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
Your incredibly clever reply tells me I made my point down on your level

.................next  8)
i know, your incredibly thorough, in-depth rebuttal of my statements left me in such a state of emotional shock that all i could muster was a standard 'cock' related insult. clearly you are far too clever for me!

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2006, 12:55:04 PM »
I know when I need to lower the level to reach someone - glad it worked out for you.  ;)

hey and you actually learned something, now John, hasn't someone kidnapped your daughter  ::)

sandstone

• Getbig II
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
regardless of what you may think, Draper was one of the top bodybuilders of his day.  He was a contemporary of Larry Scott, before Arnold and well before Katz.   

Drapper is the man. Sometimes it suprises me that people can talk shit about the legends but then i remeber im on Getbig where and 13 year old fat azz can insult a legend...

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2006, 04:04:04 PM »
It's harder to pay respect and honor a heritage than it is to talk chit from behind a keyboard.

Some guys can't get the job done.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »
im sorry to offend Draper Fans, he is the bomb.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
i beginning to think 'slummin' is dave draper. either that or he has a major crush on him

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
Draper was one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time.  Take a look at his 1967 movie, "Don't Make Waves."  If you consider that small, then you'll have to take my word that in the late 60's - early 70's, that was HUGE.

In my opinion, Draper was better than Arnold overall.  Draper was as if etched in stone, Arnold was "puffy." 

But in physique, to each his own.  That would explain the large number of Palumbo fans on this site! ;D

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
i beginning to think 'slummin' is dave draper. either that or he has a major crush on him

is that really the best you got?   ::)

bitchslap to you

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
im sorry to offend Draper Fans, he is the bomb.

JayJackoff is still here? Thought this was his typical hit and run MO.  ::)

remember everyone - don't be JayJackoffed! 

slummin

• Getbig II
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2006, 07:10:32 PM »
hey! it's been fun kiddies - no charge for the lessons.   ;)