Author Topic: Neanderthal genome project launches  (Read 11525 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Neanderthal genome project launches
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:58:30 AM »
Neanderthal genome project launches
By Geir Moulson
, Associated Press Writer

The undated picture released by the Max-Planck-Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig shows the 3D reconstruction of a Neandertal skull. Together with scientists from the 454 Life Sciences Corporation, Branford, USA, the institute wants to complete a first draft of the Neandertal genome within the next two years. (AP Photo/Max-Planck-Institute)

BERLIN - U.S. and German scientists on Thursday launched a two-year project to decipher the genetic code of the Neanderthal, a feat they hope will help deepen understanding of how modern humans' brains evolved.

Neanderthals were a species that lived in Europe and western Asia from more than 200,000 years ago to about 30,000 years ago. Scientists from Germany's Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology are teaming up a company in Connecticut to map the genome, or DNA code.

"The Neanderthal is the closest relative to the modern human, and we believe that by sequencing the Neanderthal we can learn a lot," said Michael Egholm, a vice president at 454 Life Sciences Corp. of Branford, Conn., which will use its high-speed sequencing technology in the project.

There are no firm answers yet about how humans picked up key traits such as walking upright and developing complex language. Neanderthals are believed to have been relatively sophisticated, but lacking in humans' higher reasoning functions.

The Neanderthal project follows scientists' achievement last year in deciphering the DNA of the chimpanzee, our closest living relative. That genome map produced a long list of DNA differences between humans and chimps and some hints about which differences might be crucial.

The chimp genome "led to literally too many questions, there were 35 million differences between us and chimpanzees — that's too much to figure out," Jonathan Rothberg, 454's chairman, said in a telephone interview.

"By having Neanderthal, we'll really be able to home in on the small percentage of differences that gave us higher cognitive abilities," he said. "Neanderthal is going to open the box. It's not going to answer the question, but it's going to tell where to look to understand all of those higher cognitive functions."

Over two years, the scientists aim to reconstruct a draft of the 3 billion building blocks of the Neanderthal genome — working with fossil samples from several individuals.

They face the complication of working with 40,000-year-old samples, and of filtering out microbial DNA that contaminated them after death.

Only about 5 percent of the DNA in the samples is actually Neanderthal DNA, Egholm estimated, but he and Rothberg said pilot experiments had convinced them that the decoding was feasible.

At the Max Planck Institute, the project also involves Svante Paabo, who nine years ago participated in a pioneering, though smaller-scale, DNA test on a Neanderthal sample.

That study suggested that Neanderthals and humans split from a common ancestor a half-million years ago and backed the theory that Neanderthals were an evolutionary dead end.

The new project will help in understanding how characteristics unique to humans evolved and "will also identify those genetic changes that enabled modern humans to leave Africa and rapidly spread around the world," Paabo said in a statement Thursday.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Neanderthal genome project launches
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:27:51 AM »
I wonder what happened to all the "Neanderthal" fossils?   :-\

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »
Believe it or not there are still neanderthals amongst us! This board probably has a very large group of them browsing as I type.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:37 PM »

go to a museum..plenty around..or bits and pieces of some around

how do ya think they r gonna study the genome? you need the DNA..they'll get it from bone..
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:43:41 PM »
go to a museum..plenty around..or bits and pieces of some around

how do ya think they r gonna study the genome? you need the DNA..they'll get it from bone..

I've been to plenty of museums.  They're all "replicas," like the picture in this thread. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
jag's excited that they're finally working on a project that will benefit her.  ;D

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »
I've been to plenty of museums.  They're all "replicas," like the picture in this thread. 

so this whole DNA thing is a conspiracy by the athiests to hide god from you  :-\

We are descended from Neanderthals
Most experts now agree that Neanderthals were an evolutionary dead end; a species that became extinct about 30,000 years ago. In recent years, this belief has been supported by groundbreaking research on Neanderthal DNA. Tiny quantities of DNA have been recovered from Neanderthal bones and then analysed on computers. The results support the view that they are different species to Modern Humans.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/N/neanderthal/facts/myths.html

now that the species have been claimed to be different you all of a sudden believe in neanderthals right?  ::)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s952446.htm

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
so this whole DNA thing is a conspiracy by the athiests to hide god from you  :-\

We are descended from Neanderthals
Most experts now agree that Neanderthals were an evolutionary dead end; a species that became extinct about 30,000 years ago. In recent years, this belief has been supported by groundbreaking research on Neanderthal DNA. Tiny quantities of DNA have been recovered from Neanderthal bones and then analysed on computers. The results support the view that they are different species to Modern Humans.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/N/neanderthal/facts/myths.html

now that the species have been claimed to be different you all of a sudden believe in neanderthals right?  ::)

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s952446.htm

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/

We could have the "late" Johnny Apollo battle of links and not really get anywhere.  I'm sure I could find a plethora of information disputing "Neanderthal DNA," particularly when there are no Neanderthal fossils. 

But it does make for good theater.  Loved those Jurassic Park movies.   :)  Jurassic Park IV is currently scheduled for a 2008 release, with Keira Knightley rumored to have a role.    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:11:50 PM »

::) omg

¿So you actually believe "neanderthals" are some sort of scientific mislead, as part of a conspiracy against stupid religious theories like "creationism"?

Just asking...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 07:54:05 PM »
::) omg

¿So you actually believe "neanderthals" are some sort of scientific mislead, as part of a conspiracy against stupid religious theories like "creationism"?

Just asking...

I believe the facts:  there is a complete absence of transitional fossils.  No half man, half ape fossils.  No half bird/half rabbit fossils.  And so on.  That's why they're called "missing links."  Transitional fossils don't exist, because my uncle was not a monkey.  :)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:20:32 PM »
my uncle was not a monkey.  :)

i'm sure people have referred to you as a big ape though . . .  ;) ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 02:08:06 AM »
i'm sure people have referred to you as a big ape though . . .  ;) ;D

Big Daddy (check).  Big Daddyo (check).  Big Idiot (check).  Big (check).  Big Ape . . . not yet.   :) 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 08:50:13 AM »
Big Daddy (check).  Big Daddyo (check).  Big Idiot (check).  Big (check).  Big Ape . . . not yet.   :) 

hmmm . . . you must be prettier than me, or you must associate with nicer people.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 09:43:28 AM »
hmmm . . . you must be prettier than me, or you must associate with nicer people.

None of the above.  I just look like a Big Ape, so people don't mess with me.   ;D  Little do they know I'm a Big Softie. 

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 01:44:50 PM »
I believe the facts:  there is a complete absence of transitional fossils.  No half man, half ape fossils.  No half bird/half rabbit fossils.  And so on.  That's why they're called "missing links."  Transitional fossils don't exist, because my uncle was not a monkey.  :)

¿Does archaeopteryx ring a bell? "No transitional fossils"...  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »
¿Does archaeopteryx ring a bell? "No transitional fossils"...  ::)

No, it doesn't.  Looks like a big bird to me.  Actually looks sort of like an ostrich.  But let's assume this is really a "transitional fossil" and not a big bird.  What was it evolving from and to?  And why isn't the fossil record replete with transitional fossils?   

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 03:08:25 AM »
No, it doesn't.  Looks like a big bird to me.  Actually looks sort of like an ostrich.  But let's assume this is really a "transitional fossil" and not a big bird.  What was it evolving from and to?  And why isn't the fossil record replete with transitional fossils?   

So you're really questioning the theory of evolution... ¿aren't you?

Wikipedia might be crappy, but it works ok for this kind of things... there you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_evolution

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »

Wikipedia might be crappy, but it works ok for this kind of things... there you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_evolution

wow, you have a really masterful way of arguing . . . i'm sure he's never read a 2 pg. article on evidence of evolution before.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 11:22:19 AM »
Haha.  Yeah, I've never read a word about evolution.  One of the reasons it's a theory is we don't have transitional fossils, which "Martin" hasn't addressed yet.

BTW, there is something strangely familiar about "Martin."  Sounds like Johnny Apollo.  Funny how "Martin" would say "Wikipedia might be crappy" and then proceed to cite JA's favorite web site?  Does not pass the smell test.   :)

But Wikipedia does have some good information, like this:

Shirley Ardell Mason (January 25, 1923–February 26, 1998), the woman whose life was documented in the book and film both released under the name Sybil. The book was penned by Flora Rheta Schreiber and published in 1973. The movie was made for TV and was broadcast in 1976. The name Sybil Isabel Dorsett was used in the book and movie to protect her identity.

Sybil told the story of a woman who was treated for multiple personality disorder (since renamed Dissociative identity disorder) with up to 16 alternate personalities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Ardell_Mason

;D

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
Haha.  Yeah, I've never read a word about evolution.  One of the reasons it's a theory is we don't have transitional fossils, which "Martin" hasn't addressed yet.

BTW, there is something strangely familiar about "Martin."  Sounds like Johnny Apollo.  Funny how "Martin" would say "Wikipedia might be crappy" and then proceed to cite JA's favorite web site?  Does not pass the smell test.   :)

But Wikipedia does have some good information, like this:

Shirley Ardell Mason (January 25, 1923–February 26, 1998), the woman whose life was documented in the book and film both released under the name Sybil. The book was penned by Flora Rheta Schreiber and published in 1973. The movie was made for TV and was broadcast in 1976. The name Sybil Isabel Dorsett was used in the book and movie to protect her identity.

Sybil told the story of a woman who was treated for multiple personality disorder (since renamed Dissociative identity disorder) with up to 16 alternate personalities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Ardell_Mason

;D

That's just lame... So you're actually getting owned by modern science, and the best thing you can do is come up with this?

You're trying too hard, relax.  Any mod could verify my ip and set this straight, if you want to stand by what you just implied.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 10:52:07 AM »
That's just lame... So you're actually getting owned by modern science, and the best thing you can do is come up with this?

You're trying too hard, relax.  Any mod could verify my ip and set this straight, if you want to stand by what you just implied.

Sure "Martin."   ::)

You know what, I actually thought JA was smart and liked debating with him.  But as it turned out, he was just a big chicken.  Things got hot in the kitchen and he ran like a scalded dog.  Maybe he'll stop hiding behind multiple personalities and come back to get slapped around some more.  ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 01:45:02 AM »
Holy Crap Beach... The human line did not come from Neanderthals.  If you don't believe in Neanderthals, you don't believe in Gorillas either.

Martin1981

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 01:48:03 AM »
Sure "Martin."   ::)

You know what, I actually thought JA was smart and liked debating with him.  But as it turned out, he was just a big chicken.  Things got hot in the kitchen and he ran like a scalded dog.  Maybe he'll stop hiding behind multiple personalities and come back to get slapped around some more.  ;D

Ever heard about "self-ownage"? That's what you're doing here.