Author Topic: Check out this Ronnie video  (Read 1618 times)

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Check out this Ronnie video
« on: July 29, 2006, 02:36:53 AM »
&mode=related&search=%22ronnie%20coleman%22

Very interesting video.  I think it clearly shows that Ronnie in his middle years was clearly the heir apparent.  Now, I realize except for a few exceptions (Haney, Dorian), the Mr. Olympia has had to bide his time to become the champ.  Looking at this video and then some footage from the 1997 Mr. Olympia makes one thing clear; IFBB judging is seriously messed up.  Now I am not making this a Ronnie vs Dorian thread at all.  The reason, that issue has been debated to death over on ND's thread.  However, how the hell does Ronnie only make 9th.  Even if he came in smooth as baby's ass, this is not possible.  The muscle compilation on the guy is insane.  Moreover, in 1997, his waist was incredibly wasp like.  I can kind of appreciate with ND why he preferred the earlier Ronnie look than later.  However, I digress, how the hell does Priest and Fux beat him.  No f__king way.  What this tells me is that in order to breach the hierarchy of IFBB upper echelon, you have to come in either dramatically better than the year before (1998 vs 1997), or you have their tacit backing from the get go.  Ronnie was probably not overwhelming enough to take out Dorian that year (if anybody was gonna do it; it was Nasser as he was groomed from the get go); however, he should have been top five easily.  In a true, unbiased show, well, that can be debated for another 300 page thread.  ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Check out this Ronnie video
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »
&mode=related&search=%22ronnie%20coleman%22

Very interesting video.  I think it clearly shows that Ronnie in his middle years was clearly the heir apparent.  Now, I realize except for a few exceptions (Haney, Dorian), the Mr. Olympia has had to bide his time to become the champ.  Looking at this video and then some footage from the 1997 Mr. Olympia makes one thing clear; IFBB judging is seriously messed up.  Now I am not making this a Ronnie vs Dorian thread at all.  The reason, that issue has been debated to death over on ND's thread.  However, how the hell does Ronnie only make 9th.  Even if he came in smooth as baby's ass, this is not possible.  The muscle compilation on the guy is insane.  Moreover, in 1997, his waist was incredibly wasp like.  I can kind of appreciate with ND why he preferred the earlier Ronnie look than later.  However, I digress, how the hell does Priest and Fux beat him.  No f__king way.  What this tells me is that in order to breach the hierarchy of IFBB upper echelon, you have to come in either dramatically better than the year before (1998 vs 1997), or you have their tacit backing from the get go.  Ronnie was probably not overwhelming enough to take out Dorian that year (if anybody was gonna do it; it was Nasser as he was groomed from the get go); however, he should have been top five easily.  In a true, unbiased show, well, that can be debated for another 300 page thread.  ;)

The footage they show of Ronnie is from the 1996 Mr Olympia he placed 6th . 96 was his break-out year he looked fantastic back then NO abdominal distension what so ever . by 1996 he was competing at 250lbs so he was just comming into his own. I think he would have placed better at the Olympia in 96/97 but he was just a victim of to many contests each year and you can't blame a pro for wanting to compete especially when you're starting to place high in the money .

nicorulez

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 07:40:16 AM »
ND, I can honestly see why you digged him so much back then.  Very impressive.  He should have been considered one of the elite.  I surmise his 1998 condiition was too great for them to overlook him.  Peace all.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 07:40:38 AM »
schmoe
grundle has no sack,

crc69

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 07:57:13 AM »
Very interesting video.
Nothing new : emule : Bodybuilder.-.[Xvid-ENG].Ronnie.Coleman.-.First.training.video.(1997).avi
There for 3-4 years...

vein-x

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:05:23 AM »
Yeah.. this is one of the better Ronnie clips out there. Not only is he massive and proportioned but his conditioning and above all GUT are all 100% under control.

Though it wasn't he size and taper that really stood out to me in this video, it was his attitude. Watch right toward the end, right up until he's actually posing ON-STAGE. That smile is the smile of a man who isn't worried about anything, not even placing 2nd or last. He's just up there having a good time, confident that he'll get his just due soon.

Don't get it twisted though, I think he's still amazing today. 300lbs competitive weight with proportion and taper (a little gut yes...) is impressive by any means. I just don't see the 'true happiness' Ronnie displayed almost a decade ago, now.

vein-x
Jan. 1 - Bulking Begins..