Author Topic: How many cans of tuna do you eat?  (Read 5761 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
How many cans of tuna do you eat?
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:52:29 PM »
So each can has 13 g a protein @ 2.5 servings a can. thats about 32 whopping grams of protein! So I am assuming one can is enough, unless you love dry tuna and you want to waste 2 cans. (there is no way your body will absorb 60g protein in one sitting.)

Im eating one can, with 1/2cup of brown rice before my workout at 4:30pm.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: How many cans of tuna do you eat?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:17:01 PM »
I just had a can of tuna and a baked potato for lunch. I could probably eat two cans but I'd go through too much tuna.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:47:57 PM »
i have 1 can 5-6 days a week. i drain it though and add pepper to give it a lil flavor.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »
So each can has 13 g a protein @ 2.5 servings a can. thats about 32 whopping grams of protein! So I am assuming one can is enough, unless you love dry tuna and you want to waste 2 cans. (there is no way your body will absorb 60g protein in one sitting.)

Im eating one can, with 1/2cup of brown rice before my workout at 4:30pm.

I don't believe for one minute there's that much protein in a can of tuna (esp. COS).  I've drained and weighed numerous cans (digital scale) and the labels lie   >:(  I don't know how they get away with it.  >:(

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=59341.0
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 02:38:01 PM »
It seems like a slippery slope to start worrying whether lables are accurate.  Example, does 1 scoop of my protein powder really have 20g of protein? etc.
Although it does provide a justification for staying closer to 1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight as opposed to 1g, just as a fail safe.  I eat 2 cans of tuna per day which I write down as 30g of protein each.

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »
i eat 3 cans in 1 sitting, i put a 3 tablespoons of miracle whip light, taste ok, more miraclethe better it tastes

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:46 PM »
i eat 3 cans in 1 sitting, i put a 3 tablespoons of miracle whip light, taste ok, more miraclethe better it tastes

Isnt that a waste? I men, @30G protein a can, your ingesting appx 90g protein, and your body wont absorb it.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
What's up with all that tuna? Give Sockeye Salmon a try. You'll be glad you did. I just ate two cans of Sockeye...hmmm...tastes good and better results to boot.  ;D
X

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »
What's up with all that tuna? Give Sockeye Salmon a try. You'll be glad you did. I just ate two cans of Sockeye...hmmm...tastes good and better results to boot.  ;D

Does that have all the skin and bones in it like the "traditional style" salmon in a can?
:

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »
Isnt that a waste? I men, @30G protein a can, your ingesting appx 90g protein, and your body wont absorb it.

still believing the 30g absorption myth?

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
Do you have scientific proof stating otherwise?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
sometimes when i'm dieting i make fish cakes using tuna.

i just mix in a few cans of tuna, some safflower mayo, crush up some pork rinds, seasoning...make them into little fish cakes and bake them for about 20-25 min.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 04:52:07 PM »
Do you have scientific proof stating otherwise?

yes, it's called evolution.

"back in the day"....when the neanderthals were hunting game and ate it...they didn't stop and say "oh, I already had my 30g of protein, can't absorb anymore." They stuffed themselves becuase that could be their last meal for a long time. So the body has to become extremely efficient at processing and absorbing every bit of that protein and putting it to use.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
ZERO............Unless I absolutely have to! ;D

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »
yes, it's called evolution.

"back in the day"....when the neanderthals were hunting game and ate it...they didn't stop and say "oh, I already had my 30g of protein, can't absorb anymore." They stuffed themselves becuase that could be their last meal for a long time. So the body has to become extremely efficient at processing and absorbing every bit of that protein and putting it to use.

so in other words......no

from the scientific proof ive been shown the body cannot 'absorb' more than 20-30 grams of protein per meal...Im talking about someone natural btw

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »

from the scientific proof ive been shown the body cannot 'absorb' more than 20-30 grams of protein per meal...Im talking about someone natural btw

The body absorbs ALL of the protein....whether it is all used to assimilate muscle or not is debatable and I have not looked into it...but like I said, you're body takes in ALL the protein becuase it never knows when it will get more. You're urine should not have 1mg of protein in it...if it does, you have a serious kidney issue.....and Flex was pissing 17g of protein a day :o

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
still believing the 30g absorption myth?

still believing you need 1010512501 grams of protein a day myth?

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »
So the body has to become extremely efficient at processing and absorbing every bit of that protein and putting it to use.

Yea the body is efficient at storing body fat too.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »
still believing you need 1010512501 grams of protein a day myth?

no, and i didn't say that, either.
i have fairly low protein when i eat carbs. when i cut carbs i add some protein though, to avoid being hungry and pissed off all the time.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
Yea the body is efficient at storing body fat too.

of course....fat is what will keep you alive when you cant find any food...

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 02:36:58 PM »
sometimes 2 a day sometimes 2 a month.
bodybuildersreality.com

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 12:35:43 AM »

I don't believe for one minute there's that much protein in a can of tuna (esp. COS).  I've drained and weighed numerous cans (digital scale) and the labels lie   >:(  I don't know how they get away with it.  >:(

How many grams of protein do you think are in a can?

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »

PrincessL....I have read of a guy who measured and found the same results! He sent in a letter complaining to "Chicken of the Sea" and they sent him many coupons for free tuna ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »
How many grams of protein do you think are in a can?

Well, a standard 6 ounce can says it has 2.5 servings(drained) that weigh 56g each which would mean after draining it should weigh 140g - not even close  >:(  Avg. is 66g

PrincessL....I have read of a guy who measured and found the same results! He sent in a letter complaining to "Chicken of the Sea" and they sent him many coupons for free tuna ;)

I only got 2 coupons.
Cheap bastards  >:(
:

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »

can you post this proof??

I've heard both sides of the argument before but I haven't seen any proof that supports this theory either.

You have to define what "absorb" really means too btw - if you mean more than 30 grams of solid food protein won't break down into its basic essential and non essential amino acids then that's misleading. It may take longer yes, but eating 60 grams of protein doesn't automatically mean that 30 of that gets converted into fat or excreted or whatever. I garauntee you first thing in the morning your body can handle 40-50 grams of protein just as easily as 20-30....