Author Topic: No egg whites for you if you're a Seventh Day Adventist?  (Read 2659 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
No egg whites for you if you're a Seventh Day Adventist?
« on: August 01, 2006, 06:26:31 AM »
Ellen White, the unofficial spiritual leader and self-described prophet of Seventh Day Adventists, "denounced the eating of eggs, milk, cream and butter.  In fact, she stated that eating eggs would make your prayer life useless.

She spent most of her life advocating a vegetarian diet even though she ate meat herself.  She forbade the drinking of tea and coffee and the eating of mustard, pepper, pickles and cinnamon.  She put a ban on card playing, chess, and checkers, saything that such games 'open the door for great evil.'  Picnics and parties were condemned.  Tennis, cricket, baseball and bike riding were labeled 'species of idolatry."

(The Ellen White Research Project, "Thus Saith Ellen White:  The Rules and Regulations of Ellen White)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: No egg whites for you if you're a Seventh Day Adventist?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »
Ellen White, the unofficial spiritual leader and self-described prophet of Seventh Day Adventists, "denounced the eating of eggs, milk, cream and butter.  In fact, she stated that eating eggs would make your prayer life useless.

She spent most of her life advocating a vegetarian diet even though she ate meat herself.  She forbade the drinking of tea and coffee and the eating of mustard, pepper, pickles and cinnamon.  She put a ban on card playing, chess, and checkers, saything that such games 'open the door for great evil.'  Picnics and parties were condemned.  Tennis, cricket, baseball and bike riding were labeled 'species of idolatry."

(The Ellen White Research Project, "Thus Saith Ellen White:  The Rules and Regulations of Ellen White)

Antoher example of control through fear and the false identification of evil.  Classic.  Don't you all just love what organized religion brings to society?  I know it's not all bad but still?  no picnics?  What a prude.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:50:49 AM »
Antoher example of control through fear and the false identification of evil.  Classic.  Don't you all just love what organized religion brings to society?  I know it's not all bad but still?  no picnics?  What a prude.

If "Thus Saith Ellen White" isn't occultish, I don't know what is! 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:07:53 AM »
this is one of the problems i have with the bible...

when someone speaks of the bible..i always have to ask "which one"  :-\

that my friends is about as profound as you can get , if ya think about it...

now go watch my "elegant universe movie thread"  >:(   its an athiestic concept ...i'd like to debate it...but yall have to watch the thing first..

its on the general..
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »

Interesting.  I just had a discussion with a couple of friends about Ellen White a few weeks ago.  The information you cited comes from an anti-Ellen White web site.  I've read some of her writings (don't think I've read the stuff they mention), but my understanding is she didn't "forbid" anything, so the information appears to be factually inaccurate.  The two Adventists I was talking too take different approaches to Ellen White.  One completely dismisses her writings, while the other believes they are guidelines. 

I agree with some of her stuff, disagree with others.  IMO, you have put her writings (and the writings of any other religious person) in context.  She wrote stuff back in the 1800s.  Some of it applied then, but doesn't apply today.

Speaking of religious writings, one of my daughters just brought home a Book of Mormon that someone gave her.  I'm going to read it.   

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 06:41:10 AM »
I eat atleast a dozen eggs a week- my prayer life is in the crapper  :-[
X