Author Topic: Bob...What do you suggest instead of Flat Bench?  (Read 7669 times)

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
Bob...What do you suggest instead of Flat Bench?
« on: August 03, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »
Hey Bob,

I heard on PBW that you believe pec tears are mainly caused by the flat bench press.  What do you suggest as a better mass building chest exercise?  I saw in War 4 the Worlds in the Mecca there were some leverage machines you utilized (I guess Hammer Strength or Cybex).  Are those just as good or do you suggest sticking to the basic free weight movements for someone just trying to start building a good muscle foundation? Personally I feel the flat bench in my front delts mostly unless I really contract the pecs and press from the nec Vince Gironda style. Thanks

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
Re: Bob...What do you suggest instead of Flat Bench?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:01:02 PM »
Dumbbell bench press. Less pressure on the joints.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:06:52 PM »
The flat bench is the best overall exercise for the chest.  This is comming from a guy who also hates doing squats.

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:13:46 PM »
Incline dumbell flys

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:19:19 PM »
I don't "hate" either one...they can be useful in anyone's training routine, if done properly.

I did both for many years, I've also seen 25 years worth of guys that have ruined their careers because they had to keep benching more weight.

The bench is NOT the greatest movement, and puts not only the pec tie-in areas at risk, but wreaks havoc with the shoulders through time and increased weight. I believe the bench can be a useful movement if done with moderate to heavy weight towards the end or the middle of the routine.

The Dumbell bench offers all the benefits of the flat bench without the injury risk..It also allows for individual movement of the shoulders and places more stress on the pectorals than the bench does.

I believe most of the problem originates from the fact that most people have one arm a little longer than the other, thus, one side of the chest will take on more of the impact, or be stretched a little more than the other.

Bottom line is....unless you compete in powerlifting, use the bench as merely ONE of the exercises in your routine, don't attempt your max every time you train chest. For bodybuilders, there are many different exercises I rate before the bench press, incline bench, DB, flys, smith inclines, machine press, Hammer bench offers everything the flat does with angled handles...a key point.

"It's not how much you bench, it's how much you LOOK like you can bench!"

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
I don't "hate" either one...they can be useful in anyone's training routine, if done properly.

I did both for many years, I've also seen 25 years worth of guys that have ruined their careers because they had to keep benching more weight.

The bench is NOT the greatest movement, and puts not only the pec tie-in areas at risk, but wreaks havoc with the shoulders through time and increased weight. I believe the bench can be a useful movement if done with moderate to heavy weight towards the end or the middle of the routine.

The Dumbell bench offers all the benefits of the flat bench without the injury risk..It also allows for individual movement of the shoulders and places more stress on the pectorals than the bench does.

I believe most of the problem originates from the fact that most people have one arm a little longer than the other, thus, one side of the chest will take on more of the impact, or be stretched a little more than the other.

Bottom line is....unless you compete in powerlifting, use the bench as merely ONE of the exercises in your routine, don't attempt your max every time you train chest. For bodybuilders, there are many different exercises I rate before the bench press, incline bench, DB, flys, smith inclines, machine press, Hammer bench offers everything the flat does with angled handles...a key point.

sound advice  wish i read this a year ago   :-\

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 07:28:08 PM »
ummm non flat bench !!! :-X

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:35:36 PM »
Killed my shoulder/chest flat benching.   Dumbell benching is my thing, though it does seem to blast the shoulders bigtime.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:20 PM »
bench is absolutely one of the best chest exercises you can do - whether it be DB or BB

people who say otherwise are lazy bastards who train with fear :-\

"eerbody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to bench press!"

Woten

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • jugs
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »
best exercise for stretching out the quads
rons acunt

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 07:37:27 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I do utilized the DB press mostly because my bench sucks (not that I should care as I am not a powerlifter).  I also use flyes and the HS Incline press.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »

I disagree. The dumbell bench puts more stress on the front delts. But, there are guys like you who sware by this. Different body types I guess.
peace.

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 07:42:15 PM »
                      are you against it too?              

Actually cant say I am , I always have and do involve a flat press in my training , in my grow years I used the flat bench as my main stay mass and strength movement , never had a problem , I think if you calculated the number of flat bench users to the numbers injured by this movement the percentage would be non applicable to any bases of a argument against it,s use , the ones that say don't do it are usually the ones injured whilst doing it , I know of guys who have been injured whilst doing incline press, it is like saying don't do bicep curls if you don't want to tear a bicep , or don't sprint if you don't want to tear a hammy !!!

All movements have the pertencity to cause injury , it is a luck of the draw situation I would say !!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »
I disagree. The dumbell bench puts more stress on the front delts. But, there are guys like you who sware by this. Different body types I guess.
peace.

DB bench wil only put more emphasis on the front delts if you're "flatbacked" on the bench, or have a tendency to put your feet up on the bench when your doing them...

If you arch back so that you have a gap between the bench and the small of your back, you won't have any stress to thee front delts....same applies to ANY chest exercises you do. The only things touching the bench should be your shoulder blades and your butt.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 07:49:59 PM »
DB bench wil only put more emphasis on the front delts if you're "flatbacked" on the bench, or have a tendency to put your feet up on the bench when your doing them...

If you arch back so that you have a gap between the bench and the small of your back, you won't have any stress to thee front delts....same applies to ANY chest exercises you do. The only things touching the bench should be your shoulder blades and your butt.

I've always put my feet up on the bench and I never arch my back, great to know I've been doing that exercise incorrectly for 10 years.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »

please inform Ronnie ASAP that he is benching wrong. Your chest owns his anyways :-\

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »

I do my DB presses on a flat bench with a 25 under one end giving it a slight decline, takes the front delts right out of the picture.

Woten

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • jugs
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »

bollocks, you peddler of ropey old shite Hmmmmm, interesting
rons acunt

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »

I agree with Bob.

I had a minor pec tear just two weeks ago at Gold's in Venice. I was benching 500lbs for six reps and felt it start to tear. Luckily, I caught it before it tore completely. I should be back in the gym within a few weeks. Major set back.

I have to be honest, I was only benching for my EGO! I don't even believe in the bench press, other than for Powerlifting.

Technically, the bench isn't even a "Chest" exercise. It's a "Front Delt" exercise. The Front Delts and Triceps do at least 75% of the work.

The function of the Pec muscles is "Adduction of the Humorous bone within the Transverse (Horizontal) plane of motion. In other words, they pull your arms towards your body. On a bench press, the humorous only comes towards your body on approx. the first 25% of the motion (the bottom 25%). After that it's all Delt's and Tris.

The D.B. or cable press or fly allows for "COMPLETE" adduction within the proper plane of motion. Therefore, it is a MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE exercise than bench.

Don't risk it for your ego. It's not worth it. I'm living proof (and I know better).

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 12:05:15 AM »
I was cautious about saying anything because maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but personally after doing db benching I don't see any need to train my delts (except perhaps side raises or something like that) afterwards.  They are usually blasted pretty good. 

Infact every time I've tried to include both db pressing on a bench and seated pressing my shoulders have let me know that they want to start incorporating aches, pains and general injuries pretty quickly.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 01:25:14 AM »

hahahah..this is coming from a guy who won just one show in the past 15yrs..whos gonna believe you..your just a lazy ass pros who fears exercises...guys like you r jusr lame and your one of those guys who just avoid these exercises cuz they r tough and these exercises need more guts than you would ever have..
YOUR A PUSSY..STOP MAKING EXECUSES ABOUT THINGS YOU CAN'T DO BECAUSE YOUR A PUSSY
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 01:33:18 AM »
I agree with Bob.

I had a minor pec tear just two weeks ago at Gold's in Venice. I was benching 500lbs for six reps and felt it start to tear. Luckily, I caught it before it tore completely. I should be back in the gym within a few weeks. Major set back.

I have to be honest, I was only benching for my EGO! I don't even believe in the bench press, other than for Powerlifting.

Technically, the bench isn't even a "Chest" exercise. It's a "Front Delt" exercise. The Front Delts and Triceps do at least 75% of the work.

The function of the Pec muscles is "Adduction of the Humorous bone within the Transverse (Horizontal) plane of motion. In other words, they pull your arms towards your body. On a bench press, the humorous only comes towards your body on approx. the first 25% of the motion (the bottom 25%). After that it's all Delt's and Tris.

The D.B. or cable press or fly allows for "COMPLETE" adduction within the proper plane of motion. Therefore, it is a MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE exercise than bench.

Don't risk it for your ego. It's not worth it. I'm living proof (and I know better).

Franco used to preach this around the gym.  bench press did nothing for your chest more for the front delt.  I think it hits different on each person. When I was benching allot my chest got a huge pump.  My front delts were always big and maybe this was the reason. 

What Chic says is kind of right too.  If you notice most powerlifters do arch their backs.  In fact, I can't remember the guy (Mike Macdonald?) invented a special bench that had a hump in the middle.  No matter what, the thing counts is what works best for the person.  I bench with my feet up like I am doing knee ups.  I am touching the floor at all.  I did over 500 this way.  And the only reason I putmy feet on the floor when going heavier was I wasafraid to dump it.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2006, 11:35:34 AM »
hahahah..this is coming from a guy who won just one show in the past 15yrs..whos gonna believe you..your just a lazy ass pros who fears exercises...guys like you r jusr lame and your one of those guys who just avoid these exercises cuz they r tough and these exercises need more guts than you would ever have..
YOUR A PUSSY..STOP MAKING EXECUSES ABOUT THINGS YOU CAN'T DO BECAUSE YOUR A PUSSY

Why dont you just shut the Fcuk up. u skeleton
Get Big, or Die Trying

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »
So we're basically saying the flat bench really isn't flat at all? You should always have an arch if/when  you bench?

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »
So we're basically saying the flat bench really isn't flat at all? You should always have an arch if/when  you bench?

Yes.