Author Topic: Culumbu flexing january 06  (Read 12670 times)

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
Re: Culumbu flexing january 06
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 08:41:04 AM »
He's also a sixty year old man. Cut the poor guy some slack. I want to see what you look like when you're sixty.  >:(

Gerontophilia

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 08:46:48 AM »
You mean to tell me he juiced for his film, Beretta's Island?  :D
  You mean "Fantasy Island"...that's Tataoo....isn't it ???
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006, 09:43:37 AM »
i respect franco alot for his work ethic.a true hard core training athlete who was nothing short of spectacular.he made arnolds lifts look like pussy.one of the strongest bodybuilders of all..if there is a gym lift competion, franco from 1970s vs ronnie coleman would be very impressive.i bet coleman would be beaten if this ever happened
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:46 AM »
I remember seeing him in the first WSM back in the 70's on CBS.  He was strong as a bull in the gripping feats.  He fell during the refrigerator race.  Crowded by people He calmly explained He was a DC and His leg was broken so don't touch it.  Like we we're talking over a beer.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 10:04:07 AM »
getting old sucks

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 10:05:40 AM »
These old benches kill me.

I wonder what the true "safe" weight limit capacity was on these things

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:15 AM »

lol yeah. they look weaker than the home benches you can buy.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 11:02:55 AM »
Yeah thinking about it kinda makes you feel uncomfortable like the whole thing is just going to collapse

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »
why were the plates so wide back in the day :o ???

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »
that man was phenomenal for a short guy. He was a powerlifter, remember that. take a look at Dr Columbu's record:

Titles Won in Bodybuilding:
Mr. Olympia
Mr. Universe
Mr. World
Mr. International
Mr. Europe
Mr. Italy
Titles Won in Powerlifting:
World Champion
Champion of Europe
Champion of Germany
Champion of Italy

World Records in Powerlifting:
Bench Press 520 lbs
Squat 655 lbs
Deadlift 750 lbs

Records in Weightlifting:
Olympic Press 325 lbs
Snatch 270 lbs
Clean and Jerk 400 lbs

Franco was muscular and strong as hell but his legs sucked and his arms sucked. He got famous on Arnold's coat tails.
The House that Ruth built

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2006, 11:10:45 AM »
those old plates are awesome - my gym has a couple pairs and I always go for them first

LOL - look at the benchpress picture - he's so short, his toes barely touch the floor  ;D

I remember reading an old old article about Lee Priest training back - he said he had to do sumo deads becuase his arms were too short for regular ones . . .

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
http://www.msgphoto.com/latestshot/060128.html

For some reason, this reminds me of a washed-up Mickey Mouse!? Maybe it is Franco's oversive, comfortable shoes?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2006, 11:41:50 AM »

Those benches back then were scary.  You rack with heavyweight and bar bounced up and down and the rack would move.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2006, 11:53:09 AM »
it's got nothing to do with height on the deadlift, it's all about the length of the arms and where the bar is on the thighs when you lock out, so short guys with short arms actually have a disadvantage on the deadlift.

hahahaha listen to the fucking expert here. Somebody get some stars for this guy hahahahah stick to giving advice on which jelly bean brands are the most anabolic hahahaha
$

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »
getting old sucks
  So does wearing a dirty shirt .
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2006, 06:35:30 PM »
If I was 5' 2", I could probably deadlift another 100lbs.  Midget lifts shouldn't count as real ones.  They only have 3" to move that weight.
I was joking.  I have a buddy who always says shit like that because I'm 5' 8" and he's 6' 1".  There is truth in that for certain lifts.
N

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2006, 06:46:31 PM »
I remember seeing him in the first WSM back in the 70's on CBS.  He was strong as a bull in the gripping feats.  He fell during the refrigerator race.  Crowded by people He calmly explained He was a DC and His leg was broken so don't touch it.  Like we we're talking over a beer.
Hey buff, I remember seeing this too. While the other competitors were doing that robot-stepping with the fridge, Franco started shuffling/running with it and took himself out. Self-owned!? :-\

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2006, 07:21:23 PM »

LOL - look at the benchpress picture - he's so short, his toes barely touch the floor  ;D

I laughed at this too!   ;D

BUT - why a belt for bench press and not deads?
Motherboy (the band).

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »
I laughed at this too!   ;D

BUT - why a belt for bench press and not deads?
Cus he's GANGSTA'!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »
Cus he's GANGSTA'!

How can you guys make fun of a guy who is probably shorter than everyone on this board, lighter than probably most, yet he is many times stronger.  And you can really see the guys who are just over 20 years of age or younger. For anyone to make fun of how Franco or Arnold or anyone from then looks now is just funny as hell. You guys have no idea how shitty you are going to look at 50 or 60 years old and many of you will not live that long.  I too thought I was indestrucible back in my 20's and 30's but reality hit me.  I promise you 100% you too will hit reality.  Just give these guys the props they deserve and praise them for what they have done in their life.  They are old, retired and don't train like they did 30 years ago.  Give the old farts a break.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2006, 12:17:22 AM »
In Pumping Iron Arnold makes Franco laugh while hes benching I think it was 315 lbs.Every person i've seen in a gym that this happens too is never able to continue w/their set.Franco finishes his set w/ease!The man was just freakishly strong.What a man does in his younger yrs should not be held against what he can/cannot do in the later stages of life.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Team Goodrum!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2006, 03:50:09 AM »
How can you guys make fun of a guy who is probably shorter than everyone on this board, lighter than probably most, yet he is many times stronger.  And you can really see the guys who are just over 20 years of age or younger. For anyone to make fun of how Franco or Arnold or anyone from then looks now is just funny as hell. You guys have no idea how shitty you are going to look at 50 or 60 years old and many of you will not live that long.  I too thought I was indestrucible back in my 20's and 30's but reality hit me.  I promise you 100% you too will hit reality.  Just give these guys the props they deserve and praise them for what they have done in their life.  They are old, retired and don't train like they did 30 years ago.  Give the old farts a break.
Ah Keith, its just the young having a bit of a go at the old. It's natural. I'm just past 40 and can see the road narrowing  :'( but I still got my sense of humour. With the lads at my gym the way they are, I'd be in a heap crying without it.  :D 

Slick Vic

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2006, 06:35:22 AM »
It looked that much more impressive.  :D

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2006, 06:54:19 AM »

They kinda had rims on them so you could lift them from bar to bar, or racking them.  Imagine trying to pick up just a round 45 lb. disc with nothing to grab.  Those old Olympic Standard plates all were about 1/2 " wider rims, but no heaver than the ones now with holes for carrying.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio