Author Topic: What did the USFL do to the NFL? (Parallels with the IFBB)  (Read 3696 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
What did the USFL do to the NFL? (Parallels with the IFBB)
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:48:44 PM »
1983 - The average football salary for NFL players was $150,000.

1983 - The USFL (a rival football federation) starts.

1984 - The average football salary for NFL players JUMPS to $226,000.

The USFL later folded and its players were absorbed by the CFL and NFL.  But many attibute the improvements made in the NFL in the early 80s to the competition the USFL presented.

IFBB guys, listen up.  The PDI could very well improve your IFBB paydays.  No matter which federation wins the long term battle, the very existence of TWO means that owners start coughing up the dough. 

thisiskeith12

Re: What did the USFL do to the NFL? (Parallels with the IFBB)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 08:50:14 PM »
Competition drives sells and drives the industry.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »
Competition drives sells and drives the industry.

i agree.  When fans and athletes talk about how bad the PDI is, it baffles me. 

The IFBB will raise prize money.  Shows will get better.  Even if the PDI doesn't last, the short-term effects will be terrific!  And if it does last, even better, as they'll both carve out their own niche.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »
If the PDI were signing athletes to contracts (ala WBF)...I would agree with you...but they're not.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
If the PDI were signing athletes to contracts (ala WBF)...I would agree with you...but they're not.

neither does the IFBB.  So we're still comparing apples to apples.

instead of contracts, it'd be prize monies.

My bet is that if the PDI is running strong next fall after a year of shows, we see Olympia 07 money go up a tad more than $6k ;)

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »
My bet is that if the PDI is running strong next fall after a year of shows, we see Olympia 07 money go up a tad more than $6k ;)

I notice the "if" ;D

You're a little less positive about the PDI's future than in the past.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
neither does the IFBB.  So we're still comparing apples to apples.

instead of contracts, it'd be prize monies.

MANY athletes have contracts, as a direct result being a IFBB member, and due to the exposure they get through magazine coverage and competing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:47:46 PM »
I notice the "if" ;D
You're a little less positive about the PDI's future than in the past.

I'm a realist, kevin.  many new ventures do not succeed.  I wish Wayne the best, and I hope the PDI thrives.  They have a nice crop of new talent that I think till be appealing to mainstream BBing audience.  of course they're not the mass monsters of a Coleman or a Gustavo, but they're new, and they're fresh.

Weird enough, kev, I would think that you'd want the PDI to succeed.  The English pro will be held in your neck of the woods, and if the IFBB prize money goes up, atheletes will have more money to spend.  Plus, you'd have an opportunity, being the closest experienced industry photog in their neck of the woods - you could corner the market quickly and become the guy they all visit for portfolio, modeling, and ad work.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 09:48:50 PM »
MANY athletes have contracts, as a direct result being a IFBB member, and due to the exposure they get through magazine coverage and competing.

Many do not.  If the majority of them do not, which I am sure is the case, then there is definite room for improvement!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »
you could corner the market quickly and become the guy they all visit for portfolio, modeling, and ad work.  

The market is far too small here in the UK and Europe.
I've been contacted by supplement companies here offering me as much as $100 to shoot their ad's. I've had to decline because I just wouldn't know what to do with all that money ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 10:14:24 PM »
The market is far too small here in the UK and Europe.
I've been contacted by supplement companies here offering me as much as $100 to shoot their ad's. I've had to decline because I just wouldn't know what to do with all that money ;D

Hey, $100 isn't bad!

That's more than 80% of the IFBB pros win every year!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 10:19:53 PM »

Yes the IFBB signs people to contracs but the contract equates to $0 for many of them.  In this situation the IFBB is worse cause they not only put you under contract, charge you money to join but they also forbid you to make money any other way except with the IFBB.  IFBB contracts are worth NOTHING.  At least the PDI is offering the athletes prize money.  And as the shows grow so will the money.  Sponsorships are also available.  I'm pretty sure Jack is getting paid now from being a BB with the PDI

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 10:20:49 PM »
Hey, $100 isn't bad!

That's more than 80% of the IFBB pros win every year!

It's also more than a couple of golf and tennis pros I know make from competitions too. Professional bodybuilding really isn't any different from other sports.
The highest sports earners over here are the soccer players with many earning close to $200K a week in salary + sponsorships deals that can add millions ro there yearly income dor those in the top clubs. For others it's a different story. There's a kid who's a pro at the local team here with dreams of making it to the top, in the meantime, he cleans my car every week along with 100's more working at the local car valet!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »

As with the PDI too.  JAck is just the first.  Is Twinlab a major asponor of the IFBB.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 10:23:04 PM »
Getting money from sponsorships and endorsements is a self-endeavor.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 10:27:39 PM »
As with the PDI too.  JAck is just the first.  Is Twinlab a major asponor of the IFBB.

Lee Priest posted on a different thread that Twinlab are pulling out of the sports supplement business. His contract is up for renewal in October. Maybe the PDI could sign him as their first contract athlete?

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »

Bumping this one up.

Trying to understand this favorite of Chick.
The IFBB does let some people get in the door for endorsements, but HHH has a sup contract, so do a bunch of UFC guys and NPC folks.  Hell even some natural pros have some endorsement deals.  So its not really an exclusive IFBB thing.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 08:24:29 AM »
I'm not a big fan of guaranteed contracts.  Where is the motivation? 

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »
1983 - The average football salary for NFL players was $150,000.

1983 - The USFL (a rival football federation) starts.

1984 - The average football salary for NFL players JUMPS to $226,000.

The USFL later folded and its players were absorbed by the CFL and NFL.  But many attibute the improvements made in the NFL in the early 80s to the competition the USFL presented.

IFBB guys, listen up.  The PDI could very well improve your IFBB paydays.  No matter which federation wins the long term battle, the very existence of TWO means that owners start coughing up the dough. 

This really isn't an accurate paralell, 240. The USFL came in and started handing out BIG dollars to top-flight guys and top draft picks. Salaries went up because the NFL had to match the money to get players back. The PDI isn't raiding the IFBB's roster to any degree, or throwing money around. The Arnold and the Olympia are still the big money contests.

I do think Pro's should be allowed to compete in both federations. The IFBB should stop being so arrogant and unflexable, let the guys make a living for chrissakes. If there is some more prize money out there let them take a shot at it.

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 11:00:54 AM »
RECIEVED A 3$ CHECK TO GO AWAY  and made Donald trump have a big old headache

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »

And the IFBB is.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »

So if you joined the PDI your contract would be over and the mags wouldn't run your pic or companies add? Why ?MMMMMMM.Twinlab had no problem with me going over to the PDI they said you are still Lee with the fans your still in the mags so they didn't have a problem.Only companies that get threatened and by you know who and thier athletes as well will not change.Like i said before with out the companies,athletes and fans what is the IFBB? And Bob i found a case similar for you to look into.My pic finger up say f the O.A pic in the old mags Steve W saying f off to the crowd giving finger .Can you check and see what happend to him over this cause the rules stae about athletes and OFFICIALS.jUST GIVING YOU A COMPARISON.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 05:09:43 PM »
Bumping this one up.

Trying to understand this favorite of Chick.
The IFBB does let some people get in the door for endorsements, but HHH has a sup contract, so do a bunch of UFC guys and NPC folks.  Hell even some natural pros have some endorsement deals.  So its not really an exclusive IFBB thing.
Exactly just look through the mags there are more no name people then pros with contracts.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »
Lee..you must be on low carbs...I can't explain it anymore black and white than I already have...Those are   part of the "CODE OF CONDUCT", it's a part in the IFBB constitution which lists what basically amounts to a bunch of suggestions as to how to conduct yourself...they explain quite simply, that you MAY be subject to disciplinary action for various infractions...you may also NOT be....as it's up to the discretion of the IFBB...

The RULES are a seperate part....

To answer your question about Weinberger, I don't know what, if any action was taken...nothing could have been done, he could have been issued a warning, etc...much like yourself, or any other IFBB athlete or official...you've violated many of these same infractions over the last 2 years...what diciplinary action was taken on you?

You keep using the C.O.C as your base, when they have NOTHING to do with the RULES, nor your situation with the PDI...Better get a better argument if thats going to be your "ace in the hole".....

AHHH BOB LOW CARBS :)
CODE OF CONDUCT -- YOUR FUNNY .YES EVERY THING IS TO THE IFBB DISCRETION ISN'T IT.WHICH IS WHAT AGAIN?
NO BOB I NEVER SHOW MY HAND SO YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM HOLDING :)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »
LOLOL...OK, Lee........