Author Topic: Global Warming Worry  (Read 10754 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Global Warming Worry
« on: August 07, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
Have any of you guys in Florida seen this program on the Discovery Channel about Global Warming with Tom Brokaw?
Basically they say that with global warming the ice caps, etc are all melting RAPIDLY. Oceans are rising A LOT each year. They anticipate that all homes on the east coast within 500 feet of the ocean will be under water in 50 yrs or so. They also predict that ALL of FL will be under water in the not so distant future. We here in the Northeast dont fare any better. They theorize that NY CITY and Boston will be under water too. Not to mention some other entire countries around the world will be under water. (Esp in the India area / island countries, etc). They showed some small island country already had lost 1/2 of the country to the ocean. They say these countries will 100% disappear under the ocean like Atlantis.
They say storms will continue to grow in strength due to the rising temp of the oceans waters (Hurricanes fueled by warm water... warmer water = stronger canes. Stronger canes can also spin stronger tornadoes. Tornadoes are not predictable or forecast a wee out but come on quickly, etc etc)
They claimed all this is not just based on speculation or on zealous environmentalists but real scientific data They go thru some specific reasoning... the Amazon not getting enough rainfall, too much CO2 in the atmosphere, (mainly from pollution, etc). These scientists say they have been measuring how much of the polar caps / ice bergs, etc have been melting over the years and say it is alarming.  Also how much the ocean temps have been rising over the recent past and say that too is alarming.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Global Warming Worry
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:59:07 PM »
You sound ALARMED !

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:09:23 PM »
The funny thing is how it all of a sudden became acceptable for conservatives to be environment activists, after a few of their key players shifted opinion, Pat Robertson eg.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
Oceans are rising A LOT each year.

Very scientific language! I'm convinced!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

body88

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
Go watch the gore movie. Watch it with an open mind. You will think differently after.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 03:19:34 PM »
Go watch the gore movie. Watch it with an open mind. You will think differently after.

I already believe the current phase of global warming is in part a result of human activity.

I was taking ze piss out of his language.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

body88

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:21:47 PM »
I already believe the current phase of global warming is in part a result of human activity.

I was taking ze piss out of his language.

Gotcha

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
Have any of you guys in Florida seen this program on the Discovery Channel about Global Warming with Tom Brokaw?
Basically they say that with global warming the ice caps, etc are all melting RAPIDLY. Oceans are rising A LOT each year. They anticipate that all homes on the east coast within 500 feet of the ocean will be under water in 50 yrs or so. They also predict that ALL of FL will be under water in the not so distant future. We here in the Northeast dont fare any better. They theorize that NY CITY and Boston will be under water too. Not to mention some other entire countries around the world will be under water. (Esp in the India area / island countries, etc). They showed some small island country already had lost 1/2 of the country to the ocean. They say these countries will 100% disappear under the ocean like Atlantis.
They say storms will continue to grow in strength due to the rising temp of the oceans waters (Hurricanes fueled by warm water... warmer water = stronger canes. Stronger canes can also spin stronger tornadoes. Tornadoes are not predictable or forecast a wee out but come on quickly, etc etc)
They claimed all this is not just based on speculation or on zealous environmentalists but real scientific data They go thru some specific reasoning... the Amazon not getting enough rainfall, too much CO2 in the atmosphere, (mainly from pollution, etc). These scientists say they have been measuring how much of the polar caps / ice bergs, etc have been melting over the years and say it is alarming.  Also how much the ocean temps have been rising over the recent past and say that too is alarming.

Too bad they never said anything about the YOUNGER DRYAS era.

Warming, then a cold snap. Around 14,000 years ago (about 13,000 radiocarbon years ago), there was a rapid global warming and moistening of climates, perhaps occurring within the space of only a few years or decades. In many respects, this phase seems to have resembled some of the earlier interstadials that had occurred so many times before during the glacial period. Conditions in many mid-latitude areas appear to have been about as warm as they are today, although many other areas - whilst warmer than during the Late Glacial Cold Stage - seem to have remained slightly cooler than at present. Forests began to spread back, and the ice sheets began to retreat. However, after a few thousand years of recovery, the Earth was suddenly plunged back into a new and very short-lived ice age known as the Younger Dryas. Although the Younger Dryas did not affect everywhere in the world, it destroyed the returning forests in the north and led to a brief resurgence of the ice sheets. This map by D. Peteet shows the possible distribution of Younger Dryas cooling around the world. The main cooling event that marks the beginning of the Younger Dryas seems have occurred within less than 100 years, according to Greenland ice core data (Alley et al. 1993). After about 1,300 years of cold and aridity, the Younger Dryas seems to have ended in the space of only a few decades (various estimates from ice core climate indicators range from 20 - 70 years for this sudden transition) when conditions became as warm as they are today. Around half of the warming seems to have occurred in the space of a single span of 15 years, according to the latest detailed analyses of the Greenland ice core record (Taylor et al. 1997).

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc130k.html

Global Warming is happening, but ALL scientists CANNOT say if it the result of Human invention.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:31:28 PM »
Glenn Beck Show said Global Warming is a new term made up by Al Gore like he invented the internet......  We'll address who I think is the anti-Christ in the comming apocalypse after this commercial break....  :P

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »
Human pollution is contributing tremendously to the problem. Vehicular exhaust emissions are a big factor.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 04:53:12 PM »

Global Warming is happening, but ALL scientists CANNOT say if it the result of Human invention.

I dunno.... If the relationship between co2 and global temputure is established, and it is, and we are contributing very high amounts to the levels of CO2 in the atmophere, I don't know how you can say they CANNOT. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
"Humans have increased the amount of CO2 in the air from 280 to 380 parts per million units of air (ppm) since 1900. If the world continues to increase emissions of CO2, methane and ozone, the likely result will be a large climate change with a sea level rise of a few meters."

"A cap of 440 ppm seems practically impossible to stay under due to existing energy infrastructure. However, Hansen and Sato suggest that, with the possibility of new technologies by mid-century, it is feasible to keep carbon dioxide levels from exceeding approximately 520 ppm."

http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2004/Nov/22-490164.html

http://www.giss.nasa.gov

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 06:01:26 PM »
I do not dispute that humans are contributing to co2 emmissions, but the Younger Dryas period was a natural occurance that has happened before. Obviuosly there was no human contribution back then. Just make sure we check EVERYTHING before making a conclusion. Even the main scientist on that Discovery special said that "they cannot say that the emmissions from human consumption is the main cause for global warming".

There are many computer models out there, but humans cannot accurately predict the Earth's climate changes. Though it may be heating, a large volcanic eruption can change that. Mt. Pinatubo caused "global dimming" for 3 years and cooled the planet. Scientists cannot tell when a volcano will erupt. They can guess............but if they actually knew then the outcomes of history would be different.IE lives saved, land saved, building where homes are safe from volcanic eruption etc.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »
i recently posted this on the gossip...thanx for Hedgie for not removng it from there.. :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2565436963450479963&q=global+warming
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 07:13:22 PM »
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »
NOT ONE of you is gona take the time to watch this..but for those that say its not human induced..well..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=358026383514035106&q=global+dimming
carpe` vaginum!

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 11:29:58 AM »
Very scientific language! I'm convinced!

i didnt say i was convinced either...thats just a summary of what the show was talking about.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »

It convinced me.
The House that Ruth built

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 12:10:07 PM »
ABC Nails Exxon and Republicans for Fake Al Gore Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fheGgu4cJg&NR
w

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 03:45:21 AM »

this has been talked about in the media for years.still not sure if i buy that its human induced. thinkin more along the lines of the earth just going through its cycle of heating and cooling.... like it has before

body88

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 06:25:39 AM »
It convinced me.

Me to. Although I am not a psycho environmentalist ,I do try to live allot more green than I did before. Do little things like recycle, turn all your lights off at night take some public transport to work. I know that is not the hardcore philosofy some take but I feel like I live alot "better" than I was before. I am a fan of high performance cars tho. So I try to live cleaner in other aspects of my life.

Like I said  am not "hardcore rip the shingles off the roof and replace them with solar panels green". But I try to do my part!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 10:22:10 AM »
most people, especially the current american government, are in an epic state of denial. mankind has been shooting themselves in the foot for the last century or more, and yet most will still be surprised when we take a fall.

body88

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 10:28:40 AM »
I agree. If you think global warming is a myth or is not caused by what we as a country and as a world are doing than you are one ignorant mofo.

At one time smoking was considered good for a persons health. We saw how much good that did the people who listened to tht horse shit!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 01:48:52 PM »
It has been revealed that the Bush admin has been requiring scientists to water down their reports of global warming so as not to alarm the public into taking the kind of action that would interfere with the profits of big business. There are after all tremendous amounts of oil still left to be pumped... which means more potential profits for the oil industry, and they don't want a pesky little thing like global disaster getting in the way of their profits.  :-\

Check out: Who Killed the Electric Car?
w

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »

Check out: Who Killed the Electric Car?

i saw the guy who did this movie in an interview on tv about a week or two ago...amazing story..hope to see the movie