Author Topic: NY Case Against The Bible  (Read 2369 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
NY Case Against The Bible
« on: August 08, 2006, 07:13:08 AM »
Case of the Bible conveying 'message of intolerance' to be argued tomorrow in federal appeals court

New York, NY - The American Family Association Center for Law & Policy (CLP) announced today that Stephen Crampton, Chief Counsel for the CLP, will argue a case tomorrow, August 8, at the Second Circuit Court of Appeals presenting the question whether it is constitutionally permissible to characterize the Bible as ?bigoted? and to condemn it as conveying ?a message of intolerance that is not welcome? in New York City.

The case arose when a church leased two billboards in March of 2000 containing four translations of Leviticus 18:22, which declares homosexual behavior as sinful. The billboards, which by contract were to remain up for a month, were covered over within a matter of days after the City and the vocal homosexual community complained that the billboards were offensive and should not be allowed.

Guy Molinari, then Borough President of Staten Island, where the billboards were located, wrote a letter to the owner of the billboards telling it that the scriptures were 'not welcome' in the City and urging disclosure of the sponsor of the message. On the same day, the billboard owner covered up the scriptures and simultaneously released the name of the sponsor, Pastor Kristopher Okwedy of Keyword Ministries.

Pastor Okwedy, a Nigerian immigrant, immediately began receiving hateful messages and even death threats from those who found the message offensive. But although the City's Bias Crimes Task Force investigated Okwedy for alleged 'hate speech' on his signs, they refused to take any action to protect him from the death threats attacking his religious views and smearing him as a 'guy.'  Okwedy also notified police he had received a package that he feared might be a bomb, but was told by NYPD to 'just open' the package.  "This case presents the clearest example yet of the continuing erosion of the constitutional protections for churches and religion against the incessant onslaught of the homosexual agenda," said Stephen Crampton.  "The actions of the City communicated unequivocally that traditional religious beliefs about homosexuality will be censored, even when simply quoting scripture," Crampton added.

The case is styled Okwedy v. Molinari, Case No. 05-6217.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: NY Case Against The Bible
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:48:35 PM »
Well, I can't help but think that his billboard money may have been better spent to state EPHESIANS 2:8,9:  "You are saved by GRACE through FAITH and NOT OF WORKS so that NO ONE CAN BOAST."

Or ROMANS 3:23,24:  "..for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are JUSTIFIED FREELY by his GRACE through the REDEMPTION that came by CHRIST JESUS."

Even the (possibly well-intentioned) preacher that put paid for the billboard has some sin he deals with.  I wonder if he put a billboard up addressing that one?

I guess I just find that when people feel like they are being loved instead of judged, the outcome might be a bit more positive and maybe they'd want to know more about God than feel defensive and want to hide from Him.

R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »
Well, I can't help but think that his billboard money may have been better spent to state EPHESIANS 2:8,9:  "You are saved by GRACE through FAITH and NOT OF WORKS so that NO ONE CAN BOAST."

Or ROMANS 3:23,24:  "..for ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are JUSTIFIED FREELY by his GRACE through the REDEMPTION that came by CHRIST JESUS."

Even the (possibly well-intentioned) preacher that put paid for the billboard has some sin he deals with.  I wonder if he put a billboard up addressing that one?

I guess I just find that when people feel like they are being loved instead of judged, the outcome might be a bit more positive and maybe they'd want to know more about God than feel defensive and want to hide from Him.

I agree.  It's all in the delivery.  Not sure I have a problem with the legality of what the guy is doing (don't know enough), but there are much better ways to reach people. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »

Just speculation on my part, but the problem could have come in by use of translations as opposed to the actual verses themselves.

I'm not sure it was correct to remove them from a privately leased billboard, ...but I suppose that depends on what was actually written. It's disturbing to know that police would suggest he open a package he suspected was a bomb.  :o

I agree, there are much more effective ways to reach people. He should take a lesson from the Church of Latter-Day Saints. I think their media campaigns are spectacular. They invite people to want to know more, rather than invoke a kneejerk rejection of their message.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:26:36 PM »
He should take a lesson from the Church of Latter-Day Saints. I think their media campaigns are spectacular. They invite people to want to know more, rather than invoke a kneejerk rejection of their message.

Completely agree.  The Mormons do an excellent marketing job. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:06:19 AM »

I agree, Stella.  It would have been much more well-received had the pastor spoke of sin from a personal standpoint.  Something like, "let me tell you of my sins and how God rescued me", or to the tune of the verses you speak of.  It's much less judgemental.   Letting people know about God's grace being  so abundant is much better than pointing a finger and saying, "you need Jesus!"