Author Topic: The ESSENTIALS...  (Read 3257 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
The ESSENTIALS...
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
Since all these great threads have been popping up lately, I figured what the hell I'll start a thread to help maximize everyone's gains, I know part of this should go to the nutrition and supplement section, but I'd like to keep it here for us 'enhanced' lifters, feel free to add your own little tips and secrets, most of these tips have been given to me by pro's (I'm personal - not internet, friends with 4 pro card holders and several top level competitors, ie. ontario's, canada's, etc.) Here we go:

The three most important things you can take as a bodybuilder are:

1) BCAA's
2) Protein
3) L-Glutamine

I think everybody overemphasises the importance of protein and undermines the importance of BCAA's and Glutamine.
Not sure how many people knew this but pro's take 20-30 GRAMS of glutamine per day and a crapload of amino acids, be it in pill, cap or liquid form (I prefer the liquid form for best absorption)

Glutamine and BCAA's should be taken as soon as possible after training and right before going to bed (right from a pro's mouth)
The best way to take glutamine is to split it up into two 10g or two 15g doses, same with the amino acids.
The glutamine should be taken in powder form orally (with a large tablespoon right in your mouth) and washed down with non acidic juice or water.

To best protect yourself and your body and maximize gains you should also be taking the following (while on)

Full spectrum Multi vitamin complex (GNC GOLD is good)
Vitamin C (2000mg/day)
Glucosamine (for the joints)
Milk Thistle
Saw Palmetto
Liv 52
The last three keep your liver and kidneys in good health.

Protein powder/supplements should be taken 2-3 times daily (for maximum results and absorption)
first thing in the morning (since your body is in a catabolic state from the night)
right after working out
right before bed (a slower acting protein like casein is great for this)

Vitamin B-12:
I've always been a huge fan of this vitamin, ever since I've read that everyone in hollywood is taking the injections (usually 3x a month)  It seems to lift your mood and make you feel good overall, helps your apetite and is great for dilluting painful shots like winstrol and prop. A note of caution; don't go crazy with the B-12, keep it under 4 cc's a month.

That's all I can think off the top of my head, the BCAA';s and Glutamine made a tremendous difference for me in terms of the way my body is looking and feeling, Im sure it will make a great improvement for you if you're not yet taking it.

Good Luck! :)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
Re: The ESSENTIALS...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:14:31 PM »
thats solid info; but what about guys sayin thistle doesn't help while on cycle or whatever,
grundle has no sack,

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:15:52 PM »
There's mixed views on the whole milk thistle while on. Where's Marble when we need him?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »
thats solid info; but what about guys sayin thistle doesn't help while on cycle or whatever,

It's good for detox on cycle and after, but to each their own :)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
have you heard anything about green tea, i'm under the impression from md that it's good for you post workout as well as helping with kidneys,
grundle has no sack,

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
have you heard anything about green tea, i'm under the impression from md that it's good for you post workout as well as helping with kidneys,

I personally use it for fat burning, and because I generally like tea.. I think it's a good time proven (2000 years, lol) agent.

marione

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:42:43 AM »

we should not forget the omega 3 - omega 6 fatty acids

sportingsteroids

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 02:36:17 AM »
omega 3 is extracted from fish  oil, so when you get omega 3 pill it usually consists of fish oil acids such as EPA and DHA
w

Extreme Muscle

• Getbig II
  • http://chemicallyevolved.com/phpBB2/
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 03:00:01 AM »
ok I dont know sh*t about b12 but I thought u were supposed to inject 1000mcg/day

marione

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 03:23:08 AM »
omega 3 is extracted from fish  oil, so when you get omega 3 pill it usually consists of fish oil acids such as EPA and DHA

exactly, that is why EPA and DHA should be a part of regular supplements....

sportingsteroids

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 03:34:57 AM »
yeah lol
w

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 08:39:10 AM »
Good post Capt!

like other said i would include Fish Oil and Creatine...i prefer to take creatine while i'm off cycle.

Liv 52 is awesome for liver protection and care. i always take it for about amonth after a cycle, even if i don't use orals i still use it.

8)

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
[quote author=Captain Equipoise link=topic=88499.msg1267896#msg1267896 date=1155183033
I think everybody overemphasises the importance of protein and undermines the importance of BCAA's and Glutamine.
Not sure how many people knew this but pro's take 20-30 GRAMS of glutamine per day and a crapload of amino acids, be it in pill, cap or liquid form (I prefer the liquid form for best absorption)
[/quote]

I've always heard that supplementing with aminos and glutamine was bullshit. If you get protein from a highly assimilable  source, you are getting all the aminos you need. Glutamine is just an amino acid. Eggs are 100% assimilable so you are getting all the amino acids when you eat them, the same with whey. Milk is 90% assimilable.

This is just what I heard and makes sense to me. Why get your amino acids from an expensive pill when you can get it from natural foods. Plus all those supplements can be hard to digest.

I think a lot of pros spend a lot of money on supplements figuring if they work great, if they don't they are hurting anything. How do they know these supplements are working or is it due to something else?

Just what it seem like to me, I could be wrong.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »
I think it's more about the quantities of raw amino acids, there is only so much you can get from natural food, as is the case with protein and why people supplement with protein powders, not too many people  can eat 10 chicken breasts a day ;)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
Good post Capt!

like other said i would include Fish Oil and Creatine...i prefer to take creatine while i'm off cycle.

Liv 52 is awesome for liver protection and care. i always take it for about amonth after a cycle, even if i don't use orals i still use it.

8)
Agreed...except for the creatine...I've yet to find a creatine that really helped me...all I ever get it seems is a really fat face.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
Agreed...except for the creatine...I've yet to find a creatine that really helped me...all I ever get it seems is a really fat face.

I'm the exact same way, the only creatine that's EVER done anything for me was an old Weider product called Creatine ATP.

Dball

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 09:33:55 PM »
There's mixed views on the whole milk thistle while on. Where's Marble when we need him?

milk thistle is a good liver protectant, which can do nothing but help, and there are studies that show it can reduce the amount of sebum (oil), which causes acne, you produce while on a high test cycle.  good stuff, plus it is cheap, like 12 bucks for a two month supply.

whitewidow

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »
the best creatine I tried was the nutrex vitargo CGL- I get better pumps on that stuff then most gear-
afterdoing bis I get such a pump it feels like I tore something- its great!   as far as glutamine goes its all shit unless you are using glutamine peptide- wich is predigested glutamine- take that before bed and it really does help with recovery- as for glucosamine- its crap and not worth the money- that stuff takes forever to kick and it just does not do much your better off taking cissus-rx and celedrin combined to aid joints-

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »
milk thistle is a good liver protectant, which can do nothing but help, and there are studies that show it can reduce the amount of sebum (oil), which causes acne, you produce while on a high test cycle.  good stuff, plus it is cheap, like 12 bucks for a two month supply.

I don't disagree that it's a good liver protector but there was a guy who used to post here named Marble who had a lot of different research suggesting that it shouldn't be taken with orals.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

I've always responded well to it but some of my friends didn't get anything out of it. i use creapure prolab creatine mono in grape juice, 10g's a day. For some reason i always get some decent gains from it. Even back when Celltech first came out i made some impressive gains on it as a natural...

8)

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 02:11:10 PM »
I think it's more about the quantities of raw amino acids, there is only so much you can get from natural food, as is the case with protein and why people supplement with protein powders, not too many people  can eat 10 chicken breasts a day ;)

Whey protein as all the amino acids. Why not just drink an extra protein shake instead of supplementing with all those aminos?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 02:30:53 PM »
Whey protein as all the amino acids. Why not just drink an extra protein shake instead of supplementing with all those aminos?

Not the same thing.

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »
Not the same thing.

Why is it not the same thing?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 11:32:21 PM »

Its a great weightloss supplement for me.  I get terrible rip roaring diarrhea every time it take it.

JK

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 11:55:52 PM »
I don't disagree that it's a good liver protector but there was a guy who used to post here named Marble who had a lot of different research suggesting that it shouldn't be taken with orals.
We could post that thread again but good heavens, it's already been up 9million times.