Author Topic: Does lawsuit talk stifle getbig's creativity?  (Read 8354 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Does lawsuit talk stifle getbig's creativity?
« on: August 11, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
At least one pro and at least one regular member have used the threat of lawsuits to stop insults upon them on getbig.

Does talk like this hurt the fun and creativity that used to exist here? 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Re: Does lawsuit talk stifle getbig's creativity?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 12:20:33 AM »
I've been threatened to be sued by a certain "pro" through PM. I won't name names since this "animal" claims I am hurting his chances of guest posing and sponsorships.  ::)
Elevate Your Image.™

Robbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »
Who Chris Cook.

Who's interested in seeing a fatty-boombah guest posing?

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:25:24 AM »
No not Chris. Chris is always cool with me.

If you listen to the legal episode on muscleradio.com rick collins and larry pepe talk about the topic, both are lawyers.

Elevate Your Image.™

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:26:35 AM »
I almost wonder if perhaps it's time to swing things back a bit to the anonymous posting.  

For a while, there was some serious magic with posts here.  Dunno if you were here for the start of the animated gifs and fake webpages, but that stuff was terrific.  Like gordiano's funny stuff, only real, believable pranks.  

I wouldn't do that today, because offended pros would be on the phone with their lawyers, crying foul, for obvious creative license.  And for some regular members to use that, it's just a self-owning of mega-proportions.  Anytime a person CHOOSES to engage in the banter/arguments, then uses lawsuit threats when they don't look good, it's pathetic.

Sad, really.  Maybe one of our legal-wise people culd definitively explain what can get you into hot water, and what can't. Would be nice to post fun stuff again without having people take the bitch route.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:27:54 AM »
I've been threatened to be sued by a certain "pro" through PM. I won't name names since this "animal" claims I am hurting his chances of guest posing and sponsorships.  ::)

I no longer support Jack London and will remain forever unsupportive due to the fact that he can be so much of an asshole to do that. If he continues to attack Getbig's creativity and well-known reputation then he doesn't belong on this forum.
~

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
I almost wonder if perhaps it's time to swing things back a bit to the anonymous posting. 

For a while, there was some serious magic with posts here.  Dunno if you were here for the start of the animated gifs and fake webpages, but that stuff was terrific.  Like gordiano's funny stuff, only real, believable pranks. 

I wouldn't do that today, because offended pros would be on the phone with their lawyers, crying foul, for obvious creative license.  And for some regular members to use that, it's just a self-owning of mega-proportions.  Anytime a person CHOOSES to engage in the banter/arguments, then uses lawsuit threats when they don't look good, it's pathetic.

Sad, really.  Maybe one of our legal-wise people culd definitively explain what can get you into hot water, and what can't. Would be nice to post fun stuff again without having people take the bitch route.
There are a number of creative people on this board. I was here with your start 240, just didn't post much back then. Some of your stuff was funny, some way over the line but creative I will give you that.

The "sued" route is a load of crap. If something bothers you, pm them and ask them to stop, if they keep on, report to Ron.
Elevate Your Image.™

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 12:33:59 AM »
If you listen to the legal episode on muscleradio.com rick collins and larry pepe talk about the topic, both are lawyers.

I listened and it was a good episode.  I just meant, if we had clear lines drawn, a legal disclaimer that "If you choose to involve yourself in arguments, you give up your right to sue, etc".

I mean seriously, I don't even read half the gossip board anymore because I know I'll want to respond to someone, and i've gotten PMs from people saying "If you make fun of me, I'll sue you".  It's a complete bogus bitch move, but it's a headache I don't need.  Kills the fun here.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:24 AM »
I'd respond but due to the hostile nature of a savage beast, I'd be sued.
Elevate Your Image.™

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »

For a while, there was some serious magic with posts here.  Dunno if you were here for the start of the animated gifs and fake webpages, but that stuff was terrific.  Like gordiano's funny stuff, only real, believable pranks.  

I wouldn't do that today, because offended pros would be on the phone with their lawyers, crying foul, for obvious creative license.  And for some regular members to use that, it's just a self-owning of mega-proportions.  Anytime a person CHOOSES to engage in the banter/arguments, then uses lawsuit threats when they don't look good, it's pathetic.

Sad, really.  Maybe one of our legal-wise people culd definitively explain what can get you into hot water, and what can't. Would be nice to post fun stuff again without having people take the bitch route.

..."fun stuff"....by that you MUST mean your enthusiastic attacks on easy bodybuilding targets and their wives?

...204, you don't seem to recall that many here remember your old antics.  You're trying to revitalize your old games?  You hacked on MANY, and now you seem to reconsider a policy which, indirectly, your own attacks helped bring about. 

As to your questions, the lack of guests is a bonus.  No more one hit wonders posting complete garbage!

The only person here scared of lawsuits is you, and it worked VERY well.  You haven't said boo since Kamali piped up and you got (understandably so) frightened that your wallet and liberty could be compromised.  And that's a GREAT thing for getbig!  We now have the same entertainment we had previous to your invasion of this board...without your daily harps on anything you could get your hands on. 

Hey, most of us here can post what the hell we want.  If it's truly offensive, it's removed.  No big deal.  Posting attacks and insults of the highest order to the very athletes this board EXISTS because of is NOT what getbig is about....that's just dickheads getting kicks out of pissing off successful people behind the veil of the internet.

YOU decided to be so high profile, posting your real name and such....and that's how Kamali knew who to name for his lawsuit threats!  You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can find a way to be your old asshole self here and not get caught.  But I kinda think you're much more tolerable in your present form...to go back to your meltdown self would be a step backwards, in all ways.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 01:22:03 AM »
At least one pro and at least one regular member have used the threat of lawsuits to stop insults upon them on getbig.

Does talk like this hurt the fun and creativity that used to exist here? 

It's not the threats it's a lack of new material.
The shots of Vince by the pool have been used in more threads than the word "the".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 01:39:32 AM »
it's not just me, bic.  there's been a lot of threats to other members too.  For a pro Bber to sue someone who insults his physique... lol... come on.  for a member who posts his pics and starts stuff regularly to sue another member who makes fun of him, come on.  Starts to get boring.  garraeth posted the numbers earlier, attendance here is down.  I just wondered if maybe there was a connection.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 01:40:05 AM »
I listened and it was a good episode.  I just meant, if we had clear lines drawn, a legal disclaimer that "If you choose to involve yourself in arguments, you give up your right to sue, etc".

I mean seriously, I don't even read half the gossip board anymore because I know I'll want to respond to someone, and i've gotten PMs from people saying "If you make fun of me, I'll sue you".  It's a complete bogus bitch move, but it's a headache I don't need.  Kills the fun here.

People who post here should understand that this is not the real world and things are said here that would never be said in a face to face situationn. I've had a threat from someone not because I said anything about him personally but because I've questioned the organisation he's joined. That's clearly absurd. Due to the fact I'm in the pit at most shows, I made it quite clear that he's more than welcome to vent his anger to me in person.
I do believe that what happens here should stay here. It should not include threats to peoples families or emplyers.
The line between poking fun out of someone and it being seen as libel grows thinner by the day, You don't even have to name a person for a libel action

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/?t=article&l=cole_sues_over_tabloid_gay_orgy_stories

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:50:30 AM »
That's why I think maybe there should be something written into the membership agreement which states that. 

I am not going to speak on it, but I have caught a whiff of other actions (others came to me since I was the target for king) and i tell ya, it is just lame, and it is happening more and more.  If you criticize someone's work, they PM you and tell you to delete it or they'll sue you lol.  If it is posted here to push sales or get props, you can't bitch if you get bad feedback!

Hell, kev, right now, you are avoiding posting the name of whoever it was that threatened you.  I mean, you seriously can't make a joke about someone because they'll "draw up papers".   For someone to come here and enjoy the props but talk about lawsuits when probs become disses...

I dunno.  I hope the trend dies or they find a way to prevent this.  I see this being the death knell for entertaining discussion.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 02:27:10 AM »
actually most of the animated stuff wasnt very funny, maybe for you who was part of making it.
i dont miss it, and neither does most of the people on here im sure.

hope this helps.
Z

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 02:40:29 AM »
Free speech or not, much of what is posted on this discussion board is pitifully undistinguished.  Threats of lawsuits (a la Lou Ferrigno) are just an attempt to intimidate others due to the wild west atmosphere maintained here. 

I have taken several breaks from this board lately but I still come back because there are some interesting things to read & contribute, despite the trash.  & sometimes you have to go through trashy threads to get to the good stuff. 

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 03:00:07 AM »
There actually isn't that much creativity to start with here.

If there was then much of what you put out 240 would have been laughed off as inane attempts at said creativity.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 03:00:49 AM »
Hell, kev, right now, you are avoiding posting the name of whoever it was that threatened you.  I mean, you seriously can't make a joke about someone because they'll "draw up papers".   For someone to come here and enjoy the props but talk about lawsuits when probs become disses...

I dunno.  I hope the trend dies or they find a way to prevent this.  I see this being the death knell for entertaining discussion.

The problem with any board is that most peole do not know the difference between poking fun out of something and libel. Saying someone has "no legs" when they clearly have two, would not be seen as libel because it's said in the context of the sport. No matter how much "Mr No Legs" complains or bitches he'll get nothing from a court action. However, if you said someone was a conviceted paedophile, that's a different story.
A keyboard gangster making threats just because they can't arrange a few words to go back at someone who is making fun of them is a pathetic loser, not only on stage but in life. Beware the person who walks up and hits you with no warning, not the one who threatens from afar in the hope you'll cower down.

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 03:51:00 AM »
Its one thing saying someone has shit legs, or superimposing someones head on a tramp [like that hilarious pic of Rhino], but it is quite another to repeatadly accuse someone of beating up women. 240, Kegdrainer and all the other Bob haters have used to tactic to try and get under his skin - but to Bobs credit it hasn't worked. Shit like that has to stop, it ruins the 'fun' atmosphere of the board.
Getbig is renowned for the 'vicious' ownings and 'brutal' put downs - but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 04:04:33 AM »
Its one thing saying someone has shit legs, or superimposing someones head on a tramp [like that hilarious pic of Rhino], but it is quite another to repeatadly accuse someone of beating up women. 240, Kegdrainer and all the other Bob haters have used to tactic to try and get under his skin - but to Bobs credit it hasn't worked. Shit like that has to stop, it ruins the 'fun' atmosphere of the board.
Getbig is renowned for the 'vicious' ownings and 'brutal' put downs - but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I agree 100%

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:30 AM »

What kind of stuff have you posted about J*ck L*nd*n that mad him PM you?

No need to go into detail, just outline the general stuff.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 07:09:25 AM »

agreed. Calling someone a woman beater is not funny. Unless it is true, which to my knowledge has NOT been proven.
E

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
I wouldn't do that today, because offended pros would be on the phone with their lawyers, crying foul, for obvious creative license.  

Fucck the "legal crap'... just do what I do:  sign up a gimmick account with a free email addy, find an idiot neighbor who has 802.11 wireless and leaves it unsecured, and use that to get online.  Even if you do say something that's over the line (and most things these guys are bitching about AREN'T over the line from a legal perspective, despite what they think they know), and they can find a lawyer dumb enough to take a case against some kid with few or no assets, and they go to court to get a subpoena to get Ron to cough up the IP, and they go to court to get the ISP to cough up the name of the subscriber, it'll just trace back to your dumbfounded neighbor from 3 doors down who's never heard of "getbig.com".

It's an empty threat.  Post what you want.
Ron: "I am lazy."

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »

how is that. Free speech anyone?
Get Big, or Die Trying

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 07:36:38 AM »

I believe it's a sign of how influential Getbig is. If people are getting so offended and threatening to sue
Get Big, or Die Trying