Author Topic: What's the story with night time proteien  (Read 1578 times)

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
What's the story with night time proteien
« on: August 12, 2006, 05:22:38 AM »
Is it really as essential as the slick Muscletech marketing makes it out to be? I generally take a low fat proteien shake and 10grams of Glutamine before going to bed. I sleep an average of 8-9 hours every night. Is it a long time to be without proteien or is it not that essential??

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: What's the story with night time proteien
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »
Drink 32 oz of water right before you go to bed.  That will ensure you wake up at least once during the night.  Then have ready something- last night I had 20 liver tabs, 4 aminos, 8 glutamine caps ready.  If you're not cutting, have a cup of low fat cottage cheese handy with a spoon.  Consume, go bak to sleep for another 4 hours.  Night time catabolism is not a marketing technique.

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »
Thats why when you're trying to lose some lbs, its a good thing not to eat b4 bed.  I think sleeping is when most of the fat loss actually takes place.  That is if you burnt more cals in the day than you consumed.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:22:57 PM »
Thats why when you're trying to lose some lbs, its a good thing not to eat b4 bed.  I think sleeping is when most of the fat loss actually takes place.  That is if you burnt more cals in the day than you consumed.

but you also wanna stay in that anabolic state as much as possible...you want fat loss but not a loss of lean muscle tissue...you should always take in a night time shake.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 03:54:16 AM »
It's the casein that's slower to digest so any casein with protein would do (or this new thing called ... milk)
Z

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »
It's the casein that's slower to digest so any casein with protein would do (or this new thing called ... milk)

I take 3 scoops of whey mixed with 500ml low fat milk and 10mg Glutamine. Good enough then??

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:59:01 AM »

"Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 09:08:29 AM »
I take 3 scoops of whey mixed with 500ml low fat milk and 10mg Glutamine. Good enough then??

Seriously, lose the milk.  One cup has FIFTEEN grams of sugar.  Compare low fat cottage cheese, one cup has over TWICE the protein and only TWO grams of sugar.

Plus, whey is a fast absorption protein, you want a slow absorption protein at night unless you want to wake up every two hours ala Jay Cutler.

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 03:33:43 AM »
I'd have to go with water with my shakes then. Cottage cheese is something I cannot hold down, it's that nasty!

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 05:47:25 AM »
Seriously, lose the milk.  One cup has FIFTEEN grams of sugar.  Compare low fat cottage cheese, one cup has over TWICE the protein and only TWO grams of sugar.

Plus, whey is a fast absorption protein, you want a slow absorption protein at night unless you want to wake up every two hours ala Jay Cutler.

I dont think waking up at night is THAT essential. I doubt anyone loses lean muscle mass at night if you have for example a shake just before you go to sleep. Maybe it can be good if you have an extreme metabolism, or if you are EXTREMELY dedicated. It seems to me some people do too much useless stuff. A good night of sleep is important as well, why waste it by waking up every night a couple of times.

Whey protein isnt THAT fast either, it takes 1,5 hour to get a shake completely in your system. Plus it also depends how much fat/carbs are in the shake...

I think cottage cheese is a good choice. Maybe add some apple pieces for taste. Taste differs a lot from brand to brand. Try 100 different ones, you'll find one that tastes decent.

$

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:43:05 AM »
Maybe it can be good if  . . . you are EXTREMELY dedicated.

If there is one thing I love about this sport, it is that it belongs to those who are "extremely dedicated."

CAPTAIN MARVEL

• Getbig II
  • The World's Mightiest Mortal
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »
Just get cottage cheese or casein protein. You can even mix protein with flax seed oil to make it digest slower. Glutamine is pretty worthless though.
SHAZAM!