Author Topic: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)  (Read 133115 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
thanks for bringing back this thread it's been a while. the steve reeves appearance on the burns and allen show is also on youtube and steve's real voice can be heard.
F

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
Reeves would have made a great Tarzan.

swf1717

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Hi guys, I am new to Getbig and the forums and this one in particular. I have read this thread all through and the many interesting facts, theories and assumptions that have been posted.The posts that hold the most credibility for me are those based on the fact's that the person posting either knew the people concerned, in this case Steve Reeves and Reg Park personally or trained with them over a period of time. Thus giving them far greater insight to what went on.
Though I never had the honour and pleasure of meeting with or training with Steve Reeves, I believe he was clean and one of the best representatives of what bodybuilding should be, not what it has become. But I have known, worked for and trained with Reg Park. From my first meeting with him in 1965 through to the last time I saw him in the 1990's he was, in my opinion clean. He was always incredibly strong and training with him at my best friend Len Sells gym in London was hard work. Though Len, who won the NABBA  amateur and professional Universe was actually stronger pound for pound in some lifts, as Len, who only weighed about 182 lbs max, was dumbbell bench pressing 220lb dumbells and he never took a steroid in his life. Later in the 60's I trained with Reg in his gym in Johannesburg when I worked for him. Never was there any mention or hint of steroid use by him, nor did any one else who trained there even hint that Reg was anything but clean. He, as did Len Sell always said, we are limited by our genetic make up, but not by our mental strength.
In life some people just get all the breaks genetic wise and we, normal humans, just have to live with it. Or go along another path altogether, thats their choice. All I know is what I have seen and experienced over the years of knowing Reg Park and I am grateful for the time spent with him.  

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #279 on: October 18, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Hi guys, I am new to Getbig and the forums and this one in particular. I have read this thread all through and the many interesting facts, theories and assumptions that have been posted.The posts that hold the most credibility for me are those based on the fact's that the person posting either knew the people concerned, in this case Steve Reeves and Reg Park personally or trained with them over a period of time. Thus giving them far greater insight to what went on.
Though I never had the honour and pleasure of meeting with or training with Steve Reeves, I believe he was clean and one of the best representatives of what bodybuilding should be, not what it has become. But I have known, worked for and trained with Reg Park. From my first meeting with him in 1965 through to the last time I saw him in the 1990's he was, in my opinion clean. He was always incredibly strong and training with him at my best friend Len Sells gym in London was hard work. Though Len, who won the NABBA  amateur and professional Universe was actually stronger pound for pound in some lifts, as Len, who only weighed about 182 lbs max, was dumbbell bench pressing 220lb dumbells and he never took a steroid in his life. Later in the 60's I trained with Reg in his gym in Johannesburg when I worked for him. Never was there any mention or hint of steroid use by him, nor did any one else who trained there even hint that Reg was anything but clean. He, as did Len Sell always said, we are limited by our genetic make up, but not by our mental strength.
In life some people just get all the breaks genetic wise and we, normal humans, just have to live with it. Or go along another path altogether, thats their choice. All I know is what I have seen and experienced over the years of knowing Reg Park and I am grateful for the time spent with him.  
Welcome..and, interesting recollection-thanks for sharing!
H

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing that!  Did you meet anyone else and train with them?  Also, did Reg ever mention Arnold?

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #281 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
I trained with Arnold a few times over the years, first when Reg Park brought out Arnold to guest tour in South Africa in 1967. I would work in with them sometimes in our earl morning training sessions, though my regular training partner was Mr South Africa, Eddie Silva. Eddie also won his height class in the NABBA Universe. Eddie was a great guy, very humble about his achievements, honest and straightforward. He was short like me and very strong and in some exercises we could beat the giants in the gym, Reg included.
I remember doing set upon set of calf raises on the seated and standing machines Reg had specially made, they were just by the fire escape door that led up to the back stairs to the other floors of Reg's gym. Sometimes Reg would get guys to sit on top of the seated calf machine when you could get no more 45lb plates on the weight holder.
What I was curious about was the two small identical scars at the back of Arnold's calves, they were in exactly the same place on each calf. A year prior to this I had seen Arnold very close up at the judging of the NABBA Universe the first time he had visited the UK. In fact I was about to go down the stairs to the changing rooms after being judged in the Junior Mr Britain final, as Arnold was coming up the stairs to begin the judging process of his Amateur Mr Universe contest.Those days the Junior Mr Britain and the Universe were judged on the same day, this really encouraged us young lads, seeing all the stars close up.
We could not believe the size of Arnold, nearly all the lads said he would win the amateurs, but I had seen Chester Yorton and he was finished, complete, tanned, cut and he had everything, including the most amazing calves, which at that time Arnold did not have. I just knew Yorton would win and he did.
But now just a year later Arnold had calves, not, in my estimation, normal looking calves. To me his calves always looked knotty and to high up on his lower leg. I guess we all have our own ideas about how people look and our own personal preferences colour our judgement.
My family, Mum, Dad, brother and sister had flown out to South Africa that year for a holiday and as I was waiting with them at the airport for their flight home, Arnold flew in, but their was no one to meet him, so I sat him down with my family to chat while I fixed up for him to be taken to Reg's home. My mum thought he was "such a nice boy," and for years afterwards she would ask me how "that nice boy, Arnold, was doing?"      

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #282 on: October 19, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
I trained with Arnold a few times over the years, first when Reg Park brought out Arnold to guest tour in South Africa in 1967. I would work in with them sometimes in our earl morning training sessions, though my regular training partner was Mr South Africa, Eddie Silva. Eddie also won his height class in the NABBA Universe. Eddie was a great guy, very humble about his achievements, honest and straightforward. He was short like me and very strong and in some exercises we could beat the giants in the gym, Reg included.
I remember doing set upon set of calf raises on the seated and standing machines Reg had specially made, they were just by the fire escape door that led up to the back stairs to the other floors of Reg's gym. Sometimes Reg would get guys to sit on top of the seated calf machine when you could get no more 45lb plates on the weight holder.
What I was curious about was the two small identical scars at the back of Arnold's calves, they were in exactly the same place on each calf. A year prior to this I had seen Arnold very close up at the judging of the NABBA Universe the first time he had visited the UK. In fact I was about to go down the stairs to the changing rooms after being judged in the Junior Mr Britain final, as Arnold was coming up the stairs to begin the judging process of his Amateur Mr Universe contest.Those days the Junior Mr Britain and the Universe were judged on the same day, this really encouraged us young lads, seeing all the stars close up.
We could not believe the size of Arnold, nearly all the lads said he would win the amateurs, but I had seen Chester Yorton and he was finished, complete, tanned, cut and he had everything, including the most amazing calves, which at that time Arnold did not have. I just knew Yorton would win and he did.
But now just a year later Arnold had calves, not, in my estimation, normal looking calves. To me his calves always looked knotty and to high up on his lower leg. I guess we all have our own ideas about how people look and our own personal preferences colour our judgement.
My family, Mum, Dad, brother and sister had flown out to South Africa that year for a holiday and as I was waiting with them at the airport for their flight home, Arnold flew in, but their was no one to meet him, so I sat him down with my family to chat while I fixed up for him to be taken to Reg's home. My mum thought he was "such a nice boy," and for years afterwards she would ask me how "that nice boy, Arnold, was doing?"      
There are really awesome stories!!!  So were you thinking Calf Implants perhaps?  Also, do you think Chester Yorton was Natural.  He claimed it his entire career.  He still lifts and looks great.  Keep the stories coming!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #283 on: October 19, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
 ;D
F

jonsgym

• Getbig I
« Reply #284 on: October 19, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
I have always believed that Chet Yorton was natural. When you talk to him and see his passion about the Iron Game, you believe. I was sat just in front of his wife during the judging of the NABBA 1975  Universe where Chet won the Professional tall class. She was an extremely glamorous lady and friendly, she asked me how I thought Chet would do, I had to be honest and say that I thought Boyer Coe would beat him for the overall pro title. But, I said Chet looks fantastic for a guy who is natural. She said then how much he was against steroids and how he had never used them.
Later Chet came and sat with his wife and we talked a bit, I found him a very dignified man, totally believing in a drug free sport, after all he did not have to start the modern "Natural body movement", as he had already won many top competitions including the Amateur NABBA Universe, so he had nothing to gain or prove, except his love of a drug free sport.