Author Topic: antidepressants  (Read 2347 times)

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
antidepressants
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »
didnt know where to put this but...
has anyone been on any  types of antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds before??
if so, what did you take and for what?
mish1234
so hot

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »
a friend of mine takes Paxil for anxiety...he's a very good bodybuilder and says it helps him quite a bit.

why?

8)

Insane Pete

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 08:25:57 AM »
For depression I've been taking Paxil (paroxetiene) 20mg for two years.  It seems to be ok, and I dont feel depressed like I did.  I spent 1 year in a Psychiatric hospital, and of the people that have taken it, it did work, but coming off of it was a nightmare in most cases.  It causes a painfull zapping sensation in the brain and generally you dont feel as good as you did.  For some people this is worse than the original depression they experienced.  I know Paxil has a long half life, but even still I know the dose should be reduced very slowly over months to curb this.

For stress and anxiety, I found slow release Vitmain C 3g a day very effective.  I'm an exceptional case here.

The most powerful of the SSRI's is Effexor xr.  It's marketed as 'Prozac with a punch!'. I've read several experiences where people actually felt sick because they felt so good on it, so it's not for everyone. 

Wellbutrin is definitely effective for allot of people, and works on dopamine rather than Seratonin.  I've only heard of a couple of people this didnt work for...

Good luck

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:11 PM »
if you need to medicate for stress and anxiety ... you are weak

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »
ok there buddy
mish1234
so hot

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:50:20 PM »
a friend of mine takes Paxil for anxiety...he's a very good bodybuilder and says it helps him quite a bit.

why?

8)

i have a anxiety disorder, i have beed on st. johns wart and 5-htp and gaba for about a year now and it helps a little but not much. i took effexor a few years ago and it helps but i would like to try something different
mish1234
so hot

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »

HOLY CRAP ....i never knew tom cruise posted on getbig.
mish1234
so hot

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »
i have a anxiety disorder, i have beed on st. johns wart and 5-htp and gaba for about a year now and it helps a little but not much. i took effexor a few years ago and it helps but i would like to try something different

if you do get on paxil make sure you take it everyday, i've read reports of it making people worse because they only took it on occasion. it's like being on an emotional rollercoaster. many studies show that if taken for a long period of time you might end up worse when you come off...just food for thought, i'd talk with a good doctor.

8)

dave7874

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
I suffered a depressive episode 2 years ago and initially tried hypericum (St John's Wort). This really had little to no effect; despite a compliant 3 months of treatment. Studies have shown that hypericum is as effective as the antidepressant imipramine- didn't work for me though.

Following this I took fluoxetine (Prozac) at 20mg for 6 months. This was extremely effective and gave full resolution. No relapses since!

As far as paxil (Paroxetine) goes; it has similar efficacy to fluoxetine but there are problems in the cessation of treatment due to its half-life. Dose reduction and slow tailing off are a must.

The two drugs above are SSRI's and clearly their aim is to restore the brains serotonin balance. Thus it is imperative to take daily in the initial stages to keep those levels stable otherwise as mentioned above there will be an "emotional rollercoaster" or indeed sub therapeutic treatment levels.

Whilst there are many "herbal"/ alternative medicines available for the treatment of anxietly/depression; I would say that if have any of the biological features of depression then get onto some proper therapeutics as they definately work- it's just getting the right one for you. But an experinced physician should be able to tailor treatment dependant on symptoms.

NB my statements are obviously based on personal experience but I am a practicing Physician who just was unlucky enough to be a patient for a while!

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52:22 PM »
thank you
mish1234
so hot

mish1234

• Getbig I
  • mopar_freak is sexy!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:27:22 AM »

the fact that you are clearly uneducated and ignorant about what you are replying to suggests that you are the one who is weak...so inform yourself before you make another idiotic comment like this again and avoid yourself further embarassment-you fu(king idiot!
mopar_freak is sexy

mish1234

• Getbig I
  • mopar_freak is sexy!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 08:32:05 AM »
HOLY CRAP ....i never knew tom cruise posted on getbig.

haha ;D
mopar_freak is sexy

jk1149

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:54:45 PM »
i've been taking Lexapro for 2 years now. 10mg dose and must say it works without any issues. When the levels of saratonin(sp) drop it's kinda of obvious and heightens your anxiety quite a bit. I've been quite calm and notice a difference in my daily life.
trying to get big.

NeverTrustABlonde

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »
Wellbutrin's good, Zoloft was awful, Xanax works

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:24:11 PM »
im thinking of taking Paxil, i have a anxiety disorder
mish1234
so hot

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »
My wife takes Xanex and it totally mellows her out.
Sometimes work just gets to be a little too much with her.

The only time I every felt depressed aside from puburty, was when coming
off ECA stack after taking it everyday for a couple months. 
Something else that could help is more cardio. Set small goals for yourself.
That way you get a feeling of accomplishment when you reach them.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »
Something else you might try, get some blood work done.  If you have low Test, High Estrogen, that could definately make you depressed.  My buddy is now on roids by prescription because he had low test, and it solved all his problems.  Remember the world doesn't suck, but hormones will affect the way you interpret the world. 

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »
ive had this for about 6 years, ive tried group therapy, psychotherapy cognitive therapy ,diets , workouts...you name it, its seems like antidepressants is the next  step.
mish1234
so hot

dave7874

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:21 PM »
im thinking of taking Paxil, i have a anxiety disorder

For anxiety disorder may be better with escitalopram (Cipralex- at least that's its trade name in UK, not sure about USA). More powerful than paxil and effexor. Quicker acting (but still weeks rather than days). Less problems with withdrawing the drug when you do eventually stop.

Given the fact that you have basically run the gamut of non-therapeutic measures, it may be time to try the medication. You never know, it may help.

All the best.

mopar_freak

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »
thank you
mish1234
so hot