Author Topic: It keeps getting worse for Floyd Landis  (Read 2247 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
It keeps getting worse for Floyd Landis
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:53:08 AM »
His father in law kills himself...

SAN DIEGO – David Witt, the 57-year-old father-in-law of embattled Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has died, authorities said Wednesday.
Witt was found dead in his car Tuesday afternoon in a North Park parking garage, according to his friends.

An investigator with the San Diego County Medical Examiner's office confirmed Witt's death but said the cause was still under investigation.
San Diego police reported that a man had committed suicide Tuesday afternoon in a parking garage in North Park. The man was found at 3:14 p.m. and was taken to Mercy Hospital where he was pronounced dead, said San Diego police Detective Gary Hassen.

Witt and his wife Rose own Hawthorn's restaurant in North Park on 29th Street and University Avenue, where Landis memorabilia, including two of his jerseys and several magazine covers, adorn the walls.

Andres Banuelos, a chef for Witt for more than 18 years, confirmed Witt's death.

“He was very nice, a very happy man,” Banuelos said. “I really don't know what happened. It surprised me. I'm shocked.”

Witt and Landis first became friends when they used the same cycling coach and became roommates in 1998 shortly after Landis moved to San Diego.

The two later became related after Witt introduced Landis to his girlfriend Rose's daughter from a previous marriage, Amber Basile. The two couples married, and the former roommates were best men in each other's weddings.

In July, Witt and his wife went to France to watch Landis' victory at the ceremonial finish of the Tour de France on the Champs-Elysees.

Landis, who lives in Murrieta, has since tested positive for testosterone and his Tour victory is in jeopardy.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060816-1346-tribunebreakingnewsteam.html

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: It keeps getting worse for Floyd Landis
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »
Suicide is Painless  :'(

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:20:51 AM »
Suicide is Painless  :'(

Not for those left behind.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »
It will get even worse if he gets a two year ban. At already 30 that could put him out of bike racing completely.
The House that Ruth built

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »
It will get even worse if he gets a two year ban. At already 30 that could put him out of bike racing completely.

I presume that he had to give his prize money back?

The prize money is shared between the team because the tour winner wil make about 4/5 million in endorsements

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
I presume that he had to give his prize money back?

The prize money is shared between the team because the tour winner wil make about 4/5 million in endorsements

Yes it is shared by the team. Do those poor dudes get shafted now?
The House that Ruth built

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 10:53:55 AM »
Yes it is shared by the team. Do those poor dudes get shafted now?

When he failed his first test that if he fails hus second test, then he will have to return the money. Which is a fair bit if I remember rightly, about $1000,000 or maybe more. So I'm guessing that yes they do get shafted