Author Topic: Another STEVE MICHALUK thread!  (Read 8618 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Another STEVE MICHALUK thread!
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:51:43 AM »
ok all of a sudden this guy is popping up everywhere. 2 weeks ago I never knew who he was. I've been reading about this sport for years now, old and new mags, books, etc. and I never heard of steve. I have seen Gregg Valentino's documentary "the man whose arms exploded" twice now. the first time there was this older man talking about his roid days and how its plants a seed in your body and all this stuff im sure you guys have seen it. anyways I listened to what he had to say but the guy was really pissing me off, not his opinions just the way he talked and over exageratted. Last night nothing was on TV exept that documentary again so I said what the hell, I'll watch it again. sure enough I saw that the guy was Steve! After learning about him in my other thread, it made so much sense that he was in that documentary and what he had to say made more sense as well.
bodybuildersreality.com

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
Re: Another STEVE MICHALUK thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
Hes a liar and a fool. In that documaentary he claimed to have been Arnolds training partner, and that he had beaten the great man in competion. I'm glad he has suffered so many health complications, with any luck the lying twat will be dead soon.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »
Hes a liar and a fool. In that documaentary he claimed to have been Arnolds training partner, and that he had beaten the great man in competion. I'm glad he has suffered so many health complications, with any luck the lying twat will be dead soon.

I thought it was pretty funny

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
when he said they put me in a mental institute i thought come 5 o clock surely he'll be bck in there right....

nuts!!!!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »
When Steve won the 1972 Mr.America at the Brooklyn academy of music in NY Arnold was right there in the front row and did many times publicly acknowlege Steve as a TOP contender.  Arnold supported Steve by writing a letter to a court in his law suite against the truck company that hit Steve and caused him to be out of BB.  I'm not sure of any details about that but if someone knows Steve they could ask him.  Just something alse interesting, George Butler (pumping iron) called the gym ALL the time for Steve around 1991 or so in reference to a book about Steve.  The guy was a LEGIT great...GREAT bodybuilder of the day.....And he did beat Lou Ferrigno.  Sensational, yes, exagerate or just make a story more interesting, yes, BUT great BB no doubt, very very intelligent no doubt and a INNOVATOR of certain training and dieting methods.That's one thing I don't get with him...why he hasn't written a LEGIT book, dieting, training, real stories realted to BB and just his approach and how it's changed over the years.  If Steve Moved out to Cali in the mid 70's EVERYONE would knows his name...    

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:44:50 PM »
 If Steve Moved out to Cali in the mid 70's EVERYONE would knows his name...    
really? where was steve living/training at the time of Arnold and Franco's days?
bodybuildersreality.com

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 02:47:12 PM »
N.Y.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 02:53:22 PM »
He didn't want to pursue his bbing career? or just didn't want to move?
bodybuildersreality.com

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
I think it had to do with him getting married  and family in NY,but I'm not sure.  He did go back into commercial art during these days and if you look in Pumping Iron the book you'll see a pix of Steve during this time.  He was much smaller but then got back into competing and I think that's when he went on to win the universe. 

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:17:48 PM »
I think it had to do with him getting married  and family in NY,but I'm not sure.  He did go back into commercial art during these days and if you look in Pumping Iron the book you'll see a pix of Steve during this time.  He was much smaller but then got back into competing and I think that's when he went on to win the universe. 
I see. and during the universe time he went nutty. from the pics i've seen he looked great thats forsure.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 05:56:31 AM »
The guy was a LEGIT great...GREAT bodybuilder of the day.....And he did beat Lou Ferrigno.  Sensational, yes, exagerate or just make a story more interesting, yes, BUT great BB no doubt, very very intelligent no doubt and a INNOVATOR of certain training and dieting methods.

He was never a great BB of the day, not even close. His physique never stood out-strictly second-tier plus he appeared only in Lurie's rags. As far as being an innovator, how was spending 3-4 times the normal amount of time training for no noticable gain smart? Clearly mentally disturbed.

As far as moving out to Cali, I'm not sure there was any interest plus as a typical provincial long islander he followed typed by being unwilling to move.

How about we get the spelling squared away on this particular thread..Michalik.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:57:53 AM »
In a Discovery TV show Michalik claimed he was a natural when he won the MR. Universe title. He also claimed to have beaten Arnold. The guy is a compulsive liar.
The House that Ruth built

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »
He was never a great BB of the day, not even close. His physique never stood out-strictly second-tier plus he appeared only in Lurie's rags. As far as being an innovator, how was spending 3-4 times the normal amount of time training for no noticable gain smart? Clearly mentally disturbed.

As far as moving out to Cali, I'm not sure there was any interest plus as a typical provincial long islander he followed typed by being unwilling to move.

I'm not gonna debate it.  I'm not here to defend him or justify what he says today. The fact is the guy had a balance of muscle and symetry that was rare for the time with the exception of a few, Arnold, Sergio, Nubret and some others.  If you think it was second-tier than you disagree with the number 1 BB of the day, Arnold who mentioned him in articles and interviews on the subject of his competition.  In Pumping Iron the book they high lighted a few guys ONLY...ONLY, one was Steve Michalik.  The others were Arnold, Lou, Serge, Franco and Mike Katz (because he was a school teacher and former NY jets player).  Ask George Butler if Steve was a potential GREAT BB or second tier in the 70's.
  Spending two hours training was COMMON in those days.  If you don't think there was interest in Steve from Joe Weider you are simply wrong.  Did STEVE say he beat Arnold during that show OR did the reporter say he beat Arnold?  I only saw a brief part. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »
In a Discovery TV show Michalik claimed he was a natural when he won the MR. Universe title. He also claimed to have beaten Arnold. The guy is a compulsive liar.

Ronnie Colman claims he was natural 10 years ago....EVERYONE claims they were natural.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
  In Pumping Iron the book they high lighted a few guys ONLY...ONLY, one was Steve Michalik.  The others were Arnold, Lou, Serge, Franco and Mike Katz (because he was a school teacher and former NY jets player).  Ask George Butler if Steve was a potential GREAT BB or second tier in the 70's.

I always wondered why Michalik was featured in the book but not the movie? What about Joe Disco?
The House that Ruth built

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 12:31:04 PM »

I have 60 articles spread among 11 magazines filed about Michalik. Only 8 appeared in Lurie's mag. There were 17 in Ironman and 13 in Strength & Health.
Whether you liked his physique or his training methods, in his day, he was of note.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
sorry. :(
bodybuildersreality.com

gary6768

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 06:36:40 PM »
Steve was in his time a top notch bodybuilder.  He was in the top 10 in the world.  The man had a 27 inch waist and was well over 200 lbs.  The only thing he was lacking was calves.

gary6768

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 06:45:50 PM »
Steve's style of training never caught on because what nut would do 60 sets for chest.  Mike Mentzer was a genius by pushing his style of training.  Why would someone do 60 sets per bodypart when you could do a Mike Mentzer Heavy Duty workout and do 3-5 sets per bodypart.

I used to do much more volume and got half the results.  Unless you're juiced to the gills Steve's training will not work.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »
Steve's style of training never caught on because what nut would do 60 sets for chest.  Mike Mentzer was a genius by pushing his style of training.  Why would someone do 60 sets per bodypart when you could do a Mike Mentzer Heavy Duty workout and do 3-5 sets per bodypart.

I used to do much more volume and got half the results.  Unless you're juiced to the gills Steve's training will not work.
wasn't steve "juiced to the gills"?
bodybuildersreality.com

gary6768

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 04:52:38 AM »
wasn't steve "juiced to the gills"?
Of course.  All the bodybuilders of that era we're.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 08:02:51 AM »
I think one of the reasons that Steve M. didn't want to come to California was that he was a big fish in a small pond in NY. In Caifornia it probably would have been vice versa. A case of beng just another nut in a large California bowl of BB'ing nuts. Afraid of being  lost in the shuffle? I believe he  had a brother who was also into BB'ing and not bad himself.

I used to read some old back issues of Iron Man mag (that original, old mag was great) that an old timer lent to me, from time to time. Steve M. was featured in a lot of articles back in the day. He did look impressive. You could really tell he thought a lot about himself even than. More like, "My way or the highway". Good Luck.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
from all his stories he seemed like a hardcore, bodybuilding freak. but the way he acts in that documentary, he seems to say/believe natural is the way to go.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 06:15:08 PM »
I have 60 articles spread among 11 magazines filed about Michalik. Only 8 appeared in Lurie's mag. There were 17 in Ironman and 13 in Strength & Health.
Exactly the gist of what i've said. Lurie's mag and S & H appearances wouldn't have meant much; Iron Man was IMO the best mag on the market but wasn't widely read.

Steve was in his time a top notch bodybuilder.  He was in the top 10 in the world.
No; not even top-20. I read the mags then, remember exactly who else was competing and prominent at that time. I don't think it was a coincidence that he was left out of the movie actually.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »
I don't think it was a coincidence that he was left out of the movie actually.
Thats interesting. now that you mention it, its suprising that he didnt' even get a little part.
bodybuildersreality.com