Author Topic: Marion Jones test + for EPO  (Read 2922 times)

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
Marion Jones test + for EPO
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:27:43 AM »
Five-time Olympic medalist Marion Jones, once the charming, dominating face of track and field around the world, failed an initial drug test at the U.S. championships in June, people familiar with the results told The Associated Press on Friday.

Jones' "A" sample tested positive June 23 for the banned performance-enhancer EPO at the event in Indianapolis, one source told the AP on condition of anonymity because the official results are not yet public.

The 30-year-old sprinter made a triumphant return to the sport's center stage in Indianapolis, with a victory in the 100 meters, her 14th U.S. title but first since 2002.

If a second sample, or "B" sample, also tests positive, one of the biggest stars of the Sydney Olympics would face a minimum two-year ban from competition.

Erythropoietin, also known as EPO, is a banned performance-enhancer that can boost endurance. The result was first reported Friday by ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael and on the Web site of The Washington Post, which also cited sources it did not identify.

Jones, a five-time world champion, withdrew from the Weltklasse Golden League meet on Friday, citing "personal reasons." Meet director Hans Jeorg Wirz said Jones received a morning telephone call from the United States that prompted her decision. No further details were given.

After Jones withdrew in Zurich, her coach, Steve Riddick, told ESPN.com's Mike Fish by phone from Norfolk, Va., that he was surprised she was not running.

"From what I gather it is some personal family matters. I'm not sure if her mother is ill. I know her son is OK. Charlie [Wells, Jones' manager] says it is a personal family matter," Riddick said. "Me, I'm a two-year-old coach with her so I don't go too far into detail.

"I haven't talked to her," he said. "I know when she landed, she just sent me a little note that said, 'I just landed. I'll give you a call later. I'm OK.' That is all she said. I'm just the coach. If she wanted to tell me more she will. I don't push it. I really don't have a clue."

When reached by phone in Zurich, Wells said, "She had some personal reasons that she had to go home. That is it."

Asked if it was an illness, Wells said, "Don't know. That is all that is to it."

If Jones' second sample tests positive, she would be the third high-profile U.S. athlete to test positive for doping this year. U.S. cyclist Floyd Landis tested positive for elevated testosterone during the Tour de France; sprinter Justin Gatlin, a three-time Olympic medalist who shares the world record in the 100 meters, tested positive for a steroid in April. Landis and Gatlin, like Jones, have denied ever using performance-enhancing drugs.

Jones' mix of talent and personality helped her dominate the sport in the late 1990s after a standout career in track and basketball at North Carolina.

At the 2000 Sydney Games, she became the first woman to win five Olympic medals in track and field. Jones, who trained with Trevor Graham at the time, won gold in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronze in the long jump and 400-meter relay.

Since then, however, Jones, one of several athletes who testified to the federal grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative in 2003, has been dogged by doping suspicions.

Her ex-husband, C.J. Hunter, and BALCO founder Victor Conte have both said she had used banned substances, allegations she vehemently denied.

Former coach Graham is now under investigation by track and field's ruling body and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. He is the coach of Olympic and world 100-meter champion Gatlin, who faces a lifetime ban for his failed drug test. Several other athletes coached by Graham have been suspended for doping.

At the 2004 Athens Olympics, Graham confirmed he was the one who sent a vial of the designer steroid THG, also known as "the clear," to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, telling the agency that this was the drug of choice by some elite athletes at the time. BALCO was later confirmed as the source of THG.

In December 2005, sprinter Tim Montgomery, the father of Jones' son, retired from the sport after he was banned for two years for doping violations. He never tested positive but was punished based on information gathered in the BALCO probe. Earlier this year, he and Riddick were indicted on bank fraud and money laundering charges. Both have pleaded not guilty.

Jones was making a comeback this season after years of struggle.

After taking 2003 off for the birth of her son, she struggled but made the U.S. 2004 Olympic team in the long jump. Jones, who also competed in the 4x100 relay, failed to medal at the games.

In Indianapolis, she was greeted with cheers from the crowd after her 100-meter triumph.

"I have a passion for the sport," she said at the time. "I have a passion to compete, and nobody's going to take that away from me."

Jones withdrew from the 200 meters at the national championships just before the preliminaries, settling for the 100-meter title she won the previous night. She warmed up but Wells said she decided her legs were too tired after running three rounds of the 100.

Wells did not return a telephone message Friday.

Jones raced five times in Europe this season, winning the 100 meters in Paris and Lausanne.

Her 10.91-second clocking at the Golden Gala meet in Rome on July 14, where she finished second to Sherone Simpson of Jamaica, was the third-fastest time in the world this year and Jones' best mark in four years. Her career best of 10.65 seconds in the 100 was in 1998.

Jones had been set to race in Zurich for the first time in two years after having been snubbed by the meet for her connection to the BALCO steroid scandal.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
----Too bad her career is probaly over(that B sample almost always is the same as the A)

They should just let them all run juiced and how fast the human body can go with a litle help.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Marion Jones test + for EPO
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:34:04 AM »
Not surprised at all.  She went from good to unbeatable in a very short period of time, then became downright average when Balco broke.  Couldn't even make the Olympic team.  Then she shot back up to the top of the sport.  She's a cheater. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:55:05 AM »
Hopefully there will be many more coming down.

The Hungarian solution is a good one.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:18:13 AM »
But don't you feel like you've been cheated by champions of the past?

Just imagine how many Gold medal winners have managed to get away with this shit in the past.

All credability gone.

They should just allow drugs and be done with it... Save money on expensive drugs tests too.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:03:31 AM »
If I cared about who won, who lost, world recoreds and the like, then, yes... I would feel very cheated.  But why emotionally invest in something that is so rife with corruption and cheating?  Anyone paying attention to this sport knows that drugs/cheating has been going on for years.

If you like to watch people run... enjoy the spectacle... but "care" about the sport enough to be upset by these "revelations"?  Why?  ???

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:20:20 AM »
Not a shocker. This isn't even news to me.

Hmm let's see! Her ex-hubby C.J. Hunter tested positive so many times they banned his a$$, and her fiance ,former 100m record horlder Tim Montgomery (who if you followed track and field did a body transformation from HELL with Balco) admitted that he took steroids. he's DONE!!!

Her own damn coach is dirty....but she honestly thinks she isn't I bet!  LMAO.

Typical "there are so many people taking this sh*t these days, so why not join them" attitude here!

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 09:23:08 AM »
But don't you feel like you've been cheated by champions of the past?

Just imagine how many Gold medal winners have managed to get away with this shit in the past.

All credability gone.

They should just allow drugs and be done with it... Save money on expensive drugs tests too.

They do "allow" drugs in the sport.....Just don't get caught and embarrass the USTAF (or whatever the gov. body is)!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 09:44:47 AM »
What makes this really funny is the righteous indignation she showed when Conte accused her of doping.  She was holding press conferences, threatening lawsuits, etc. 

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
What makes this really funny is the righteous indignation she showed when Conte accused her of doping.  She was holding press conferences, threatening lawsuits, etc. 
Yeah, those were some performances she put on during those conferences. Well done. With her looks( I think she's a cutie) and acting ability, maybe she could go into show biz.

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
I think you have to deny it.  If you admit using, wouldn't all of your accomplishments as an athlete will be stripped and taken off the records? Some may think that's fair.  But, I think the other competitors at that level are most likely using something too.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
I think you have to deny it.  If you admit using, wouldn't all of your accomplishments as an athlete will be stripped and taken off the records? Some may think that's fair.  But, I think the other competitors at that level are most likely using something too.

None of the Swedish Track and Field athletes are.

They're, unlike Marion Jones, subject to out of competition tests year round, and have to fill in a list specifying where they will train.

And also be reachable by phone of course.

Nationally, there are 4000 tests conducted each year in Sweden.

There have been T&F athletes in Sweden who were high profile and using however. Former Russian Ludmila Enquist, Stefan Fernholm, et al.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »
Couldn't happen to a nicer BEEEOTCH. She makes Carl Lewis look friendly.  ::)

It'll be interesting to see what athletes do next-either they'll conclude they have to be drug free or more likely there'll be new formulations similar to those from BALCO.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »
It is NOT CHEATING.....  It's simply competition at it's highest level and no matter what there will always be steroids, gh, insulin and many other known and unknown drugs involved.  I seriously hope that no one here believes that Ben Johnson was the first guy in the Olympics to use drugs.  They have been involved since the 70's on a very regular basis in many sports.  I've had conversations with many NY pro baseball, football, boxers, basketball players about steroids as far back as 87.  Landis won the tour and he is the best bike rider, regardless of what the record books will say.  Too bad that the public is so naive and not smartened up to the whole thing.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 11:54:53 AM »
It is NOT CHEATING.....  It's simply competition at it's highest level and no matter what there will always be steroids, gh, insulin and many other known and unknown drugs involved.  I seriously hope that no one here believes that Ben Johnson was the first guy in the Olympics to use drugs.  They have been involved since the 70's on a very regular basis in many sports.  I've had conversations with many NY pro baseball, football, boxers, basketball players about steroids as far back as 87.  Landis won the tour and he is the best bike rider, regardless of what the record books will say.  Too bad that the public is so naive and not smartened up to the whole thing.   

Cheating is breaking competition rules, no?  On the other hand, I've queried whether it's cheating if everyone breaks the same rule, like IFBB pros.  One hundred percent of them are on the sauce, so no one arguably has an unfair advantage. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 04:02:54 PM »
Yes, Chamorrita... you definitely want to deny it.

STFU..............Hope this helps!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »
But why emotionally invest in something that is so rife with corruption and cheating?  Anyone paying attention to this sport knows that drugs/cheating has been going on for years.

And your a bodybuilding fan? Is there a more bogus sport with its ever changing rules, pre-determined contest winners and copius drug use?
The House that Ruth built

adren

• Getbig II
  • musclecreation.com
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
Well im not surprised either.. i'm sure many of the current records were broke by someone using anabolics of some sort.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 03:40:31 AM »
And your a bodybuilding fan? Is there a more bogus sport with its ever changing rules, pre-determined contest winners and copius drug use?

maybe im bias cause im canadian but a perfect example is the ben johnson story. he gets busted but carl "asshole" lewis gets off.  ::) ya like he was using too