Author Topic: Cicada Killers  (Read 2951 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Cicada Killers
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »
Are in my yard :(   

Anyone had any experience w/these?

R

blinky

• Getbig V
Re: Cicada Killers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
what are they? never heard of them.some kind of wasp?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:21:13 PM »
Yes Blinky, they are actually called Cicada Killer Wasps.  They are huge.  Apparently they sting the Cicada, drag it down into their lair in the ground and lay an egg inside the Cicada's body.

When the egg hatches, the larva feeds on the body in which it's encased.  

I named mine Sigourney.
R

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
These wasps must starve to death because don't cicadas come out only every 15 years or so?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:03:38 PM »
These wasps must starve to death because don't cicadas come out only every 15 years or so?

I'm pretty sure they come out every year but some years we are bombarded by them.  There are more than usual this year.  I'd never even heard of them before and today I had to spend 109 dollars for the guy to "kill" 7 nests.    WELL worth the money :)
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:14:58 PM »
what are they? never heard of them.some kind of wasp?

Blinky.................. ...  YOU ARE THE AVATAR MASTER!

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »
Yes Blinky, they are actually called Cicada Killer Wasps.  They are huge.  Apparently they sting Cicada, drag him down into their lair in the ground and lay an egg inside  Cicada's body.
When the egg hatches, the larva feeds on the body in which it's encased.  :-X

I named mine Sigourney. :P

maybe im missing something but can somebody tell me why wasps are killing and laying eggs inside this guy

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 04:30:54 PM »
Blinky.....................  YOU ARE THE AVATAR MASTER!

;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:34:12 PM »
maybe im missing something but can somebody tell me why wasps are killing and laying eggs inside this guy

lol!
R

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »

old school...youre correct "cicadas" only come out every 15 years....or maybe its 13...but anyway, that is actually a pic of a locust.

the only difference between a locust and a cicada (other than the 15 year thing) is the coloring....

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:06:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure they come out every year but some years we are bombarded by them.  There are more than usual this year.  I'd never even heard of them before and today I had to spend 109 dollars for the guy to "kill" 7 nests.    WELL worth the money :)

early this summer i had to get 3 wasp nets removed from my place too...not cheap :-\

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »
they are no big deal stella...we have them around here. they may seem scary as they look like huge wasps but they wont ever bother you.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 07:18:50 PM »
Are in my yard :(   

Anyone had any experience w/these?

MD had an outbreak (the 19 yr variety) like 3 yrs ago...billions of em....you couldn't drive without hearing em crunch
carpe` vaginum!

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 07:24:04 PM »
MD had an outbreak (the 19 yr variety) like 3 yrs ago...billions of em....you couldn't drive without hearing em crunch

yup...i remember that when i was living in bethesda.....

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
yup...i remember that when i was living in bethesda.....

some sick fucks were eating em..yanno..them bug eating crowd..swear not making this up
carpe` vaginum!

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
old school...youre correct "cicadas" only come out every 15 years....or maybe its 13...but anyway, that is actually a pic of a locust.

the only difference between a locust and a cicada (other than the 15 year thing) is the coloring....
You're closer than most.  For an insect that is so common, I still don't understand how so many people don't know what they are.  Many people incorrectly call it a locust.  Locusts are just a type of grasshopper. Unfortunately, the cicada was misclassified years ago, and the name seems to have stuck.

And there are two different common types of cicadas, the annual - also known as dog-day cicadas or harvest flies - and the periodical cicada, those are the ones that emerge after 13-17 years in the soil.  They only live for a month or so just long enough to reproduce and start the cycle over.