Author Topic: Lee Priest - Robin Chang has cancelled his stuff  (Read 40623 times)

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Re: Lee Priest - Robin Chang has cancelled his stuff
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »
I'm not quite sure what the problem is, exactly...

Lee signed the contract to participate in the Olympia last year.

Lee was compensated by the promoter, airfare and accomodations as per the contract.

Lee opted to not compete in the show for personal reasons.

Some time later, Lee used the tickets for his own personal use...

As per the contract, Lee did not fullfill his part of the deal and should never have used the tickets, thus he technically owes the promoter for the cost of said tickets.

The promoter has already paid airfare ONCE for Lee, why would he pay again?

Am I missing something here?

These are contracts.  He should have canceled LAST YEARS reservations.  He has a contract that states they will be paid for this year and they aren't doing it.
Motherboy (the band).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:04 PM »
As per the contract, Lee did not fullfill his part of the deal and should never have used the tickets, thus he technically owes the promoter for the cost of said tickets.
The promoter has already paid airfare ONCE for Lee, why would he pay again?
Am I missing something here?

I think Adam Empire was right here.   Those are two different contracts.  Chang has every right to take action for last year's contract issues.  But this is a different contract.  Chang should not have offered it to Lee if Chang was unhappy about last year.  I don't see where Chang has any legal basis to break the contract here.  

Who knows.  I'm sure it'll get really ugly on the boards then get settled really fast.  Always does!

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 10:09:29 PM »
Robin Chang owns getbig now  :'(

Who is Robin Chang? Sorry, i must be out of the loop.

Lisa

abz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 10:10:05 PM »
Wait a minute -

A big question here - does the promoter reimburse the athletes for the rooms and airfare or does the promoter pay for the rooms and airfares themselves.  This is a big question?

If Lee got money from the promoter and then backed out, then Lee needs to pay it back.

So did Lee get money from the promoter or not?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 10:11:08 PM »

Lisa

Tickets for the events will go on sale at the Orleans Box Office starting March 31st. Watch for more details at www.2006olympia.com , www.ifbb.com, www.flexonline.com and www.muscleandfitness.com starting March 1st. For more information, contact Olympia Weekend Director Robin Chang at 818-595-0466.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »
They were non refundable tickets made in Lee's name, for (2) people I believe...

The promoter should not be responsible for treating lee to fly around the country for his own personal pleasure...the contract was for airfare to VEGAS to COMPETE in the Olympia.

Fair is fair...Technically, Lee owes Robin Chang (promoter) for 2 tickets. Instead of these guys trading $20 bills...Lee can purchase his own tickets, and they're even.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
If Lee got money from the promoter and then backed out, then Lee needs to pay it back.

The thing is, unless the NEW contract had something written in that said "this contract becomes invalid if Lee doesn't pay back $X from last year", then last year is a separate issue.

It's easy to just say "Let's call it even".  But unless that option is written into the contract, they are two separate contracts and potentially, 2 separate court cases.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:36 PM »

Robin Chang is the main guy behind the Olympia and is the Director of the event. Anything that goes via the Olympia, ok expo, shows, press conference, rooms, planes and other questions are directed to him. He has been very helpful in getting all information and answering all questions that are asked. And also is great at listening to all complaints and criticism in making the Olympia better than ever. Also, a nice guy, but choose to stay out of the limelight.

Who knows. I'm sure it'll get really ugly on the boards then get settled really fast. Always does!

Not on this thread. This better stay clean and informative!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »
Fair is fair...Technically, Lee owes Robin Chang (promoter) for 2 tickets. Instead of these guys trading $20 bills...Lee can purchase his own tickets, and they're even.

It makes sense, and the two parties can agree to this.  But in real life, contracts don't work that way unless both parties agree.  Lee has a case here.  Why did Chang sign THIS year's contract if there was still an issue from LAST year's?  And since the ONLY thing that has changed since contract signing has been the PDI, it seems reasonable that... well... ;)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »
It's up to the promoters discression as to what they offer...he doesn't HAVE to pick up expenses.

Lee should never have used the tickets for personal use...plain and simple.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 10:21:27 PM »
Why didn't Lee go to his athlete's rep if he had a problem instead of having his boy post the issue on the board in the first place?
Elevate Your Image.™

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:12 PM »
With all due fairness...I'm not sure Lee has a problem with it.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
With all due fairness...I'm not sure Lee has a problem with it.

Fair enough.

I smell bullshit on this entire thread.
Elevate Your Image.™

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »

Lisa

No probs mate,

she's the younger sister of former Tennis Pro Michael Chang.

Also did a couple of movies under her alias "Annabell Cheong".

You know that Michael Chang won the French Open at the age of 16, don't you?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25:55 PM »
so we can assume that lee didnt use the hotel room, so the only issue is the tickets...which are what, 300 bucks total for 2 roundtrips from LA to LV?  shouldnt be any more than that on southwest with a 21 day advance purchase!

even though this whole thing is stupid, i'm gonna make the assumption that robin chang is a vindictive little prick thats doing this out of spite, and i'll make sure to never support the ifbb or ami again because of it.  ahahhaha, for the last year+ i  thought "robin chang" was a chick!  hahaah, what a girly name
its comin today

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25:58 PM »
Lee should never have used the tickets for personal use...plain and simple.

That depends on the contract language.  If it clearly states that Lee HAD TO compete in order to use these tickets, then yes, action should have been taken by Chang.  Perhaps a bit earlier than August of the following year, though.  But IF it said that, you are correct.  Remember, we're talking the law here and not "what is right or wrong".

It's up to the promoters discression as to what they offer...he doesn't HAVE to pick up expenses.

And that depends on the contract also.  You may be entirely correct.  Lee is a top athlete and if HIS contract guaranteed him two tickets, then those two tickets are still owed to him.  EVEN IF he owes for last year.

These are two different years, two different contracts.  No one here knows what we're talking about until we read the specific wording of both contracts.  All we have here is a little bit of public banter to put pressure on one side to change a position.  Lee is obviously a hero on getbig.  Chang has to decide if 1) signing THIS year's contract was Chang's mistake, and 2) If it's worth the price of those two plane tickets for the negative press that the IFBB will get with the 3,000 views a day it'll get on getbig, and whatever else on other message boards.  If they're just collecting PR black eyes and they did sign a contract, better just to choose another fight.

Special "3 credit hours in Business Law" 240

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:13 PM »
Well I'm sure Robin could sue Lee for the return of the items he received for his contract as I'm sure Lee could sue Robin for breaching this one.

Its basically a waste of time to follow this up but it is remarkably classless to do this as a promoter.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 10:29:44 PM »
Well it was bound to happen - just been talking to Lee and Robin Chang has cancelled Lee's plane ticket and hotel accommodation and told Jim Manion that if Lee wanted to do the Olympia - he would have to pay his own way !!!!!

Interesting considering Lee has already signed the Olympia contract and in it, it stipulates that AMI will pay for the above cancelled items -  Robin Chang claims Lee never reimbursed  them for  flights and hotel accommodation from last year, but the funny thing is they have never asked for reimbursement (until today) all they wanted was a letter of apology which was adhered to by his sponsors!! And get this, Lee paid for his own flights last year and never stayed at the hotel at AMIs expense, he stayed at the Hilton apartments organized and paid by Twinlab!!

Chic as athletes rep - do you think you should wade in here and sort this out for lee - I mean lee is a IFBB Pro right !!
So I'm a little confused.  If Twinlab paid for Lee's Hotel and flight, why is Bob saying that Lee used the paid for tickets for his own pleasure?  If his company paid for everything what did the IFBB pay for?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:24 PM »
That depends on the contract language.  If it clearly states that Lee HAD TO compete in order to use these tickets, then yes, action should have been taken by Chang.  Perhaps a bit earlier than August of the following year, though.  But IF it said that, you are correct.  Remember, we're talking the law here and not "what is right or wrong".

And that depends on the contract also.  You may be entirely correct.  Lee is a top athlete and if HIS contract guaranteed him two tickets, then those two tickets are still owed to him.  EVEN IF he owes for last year.

These are two different years, two different contracts.  No one here knows what we're talking about until we read the specific wording of both contracts.  All we have here is a little bit of public banter to put pressure on one side to change a position.  Lee is obviously a hero on getbig.  Chang has to decide if 1) signing THIS year's contract was Chang's mistake, and 2) If it's worth the price of those two plane tickets for the negative press that the IFBB will get with the 3,000 views a day it'll get on getbig, and whatever else on other message boards.  If they're just collecting PR black eyes and they did sign a contract, better just to choose another fight.

Special "3 credit hours in Business Law" 240

The bottom line is...the tickets and hotel accomodations are given IN CONTEMPLATION OF competing in the show...thats why the consideration is given in the first place.

secondly, the contract has to be signed by both parties for it to be valid...Lee may have signed it and sent it in...doesn't mean it was consumated.

Robin has every right to not pick up the tab, he picked it up last year and Lee bailed...no guarantee he'll compete this year either.

This is as basic as it gets.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 10:35:54 PM »
So I'm a little confused.  If Twinlab paid for Lee's Hotel and flight, why is Bob saying that Lee used the paid for tickets for his own pleasure?  If his company paid for everything what did the IFBB pay for?

The IFBB paid for nothing...The PROMOTER, paid for nothing as well as Lee never ended up competing.

Twinlab picked up his flight because Lee told them he wouldn't be competing, he stayed at the hotel of his choice at his own expense...

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36:27 PM »
lee priest deserves to have his hotel and flight paid for whether he competes or not, he's got more class than everyone working for the IFBB combined
its comin today

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »
The bottom line is...the tickets and hotel accomodations are given IN CONTEMPLATION OF competing in the show...thats why the consideration is given in the first place.

secondly, the contract has to be signed by both parties for it to be valid...Lee may have signed it and sent it in...doesn't mean it was consumated.

Robin has every right to not pick up the tab, he picked it up last year and Lee bailed...no guarantee he'll compete this year either.

This is as basic as it gets.

The contract holds the answers, and you may very well be right.  I'm being as neutral as I can here.  

Some could say that bty posting it on getbig tonight, it will now

1) Get Chang's name brought up dozens of times a week here for the rest of the year, in a negative light

2) Give Lee yet another 'hero' star on his shoulder

3) Portray the IFBB as an organization which will break its word

4) Leave us all with the question... "Why did Chang offer Lee a contract, even though he allegedly did what he did?"  Makes no sense.  I know, has nothing to do with the PDI or whatever impending suspension... and they're all just hoping Lee stays home that day...

But - and I'm being competely objective when saying this - pulling tickets from Lee Priest will cost the IFBB more in goodwill, PR capital, and fans than any two plane tickets would have cost.  No matter who is right or wrong. A big organization like this, breaking an agreement maed even after they knew of last year's infraction.

This is a no-win.  

geeves20022000

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 10:42:42 PM »
Ok, dont post much, been a fan of bodybuilding for a while. Want to see what is good for the sport.  

1) lets wait to hear lee's side of this
2)bob think you have done some good things as an athlete rep

but from an outsider, it seems like you are not defending lee in this situation.  I know you two have had your little pdi spat, whatever.  In this case though it is an IFBB pro who is now not compensated for the olympia (and I dont want to hear about last years contract, we dont know all the details and this is this year).  It seems as if it was someone other than Lee than you would be arguing for the AMI to upheld their end of the contract.  And AMI was not going to pay for lee this year, then they should have never sent him the contract in the 1st place.  A business is never going to send someone a signed contract where both parties.  It is assumed that AMI sends lee the contract that they have already agreed to the terms.  Lee sends it back and it is official.  If lee did sign this years contract and it did stipulate that flight and hotel will be paid for then you should argue for him to get those things.  If he does not competer or IFBB bans him then let the IFBB or AMI deal with him at that point.  At that point it would be an organization against an athlete.

Again I do think you have done a lot so far this year, but arguments like these make it look like you work for the IFBB instead of an athletes rep. Again this is a just a fans view.  Keep on the good work.

G

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 10:50:15 PM »
Ok,
dont post much, been a fan of bodybuilding for a while. Want to see what is good for the sport.  1) lets wait to hear lee's side of this
2)bob think you have done some good things as an athlete rep

but from an outsider, it seems like you are not defending lee in this situation.  I know you two have had your little pdi spat, whatever.  In this case though it is an IFBB pro who is now not compensated for the olympia (and I dont want to hear about last years contract, we dont know all the details and this is this year).  It seems as if it was someone other than Lee than you would be arguing for the AMI to upheld their end of the contract.  And AMI was not going to pay for lee this year, then they should have never sent him the contract in the 1st place.  A business is never going to send someone a signed contract where both parties.  It is assumed that AMI sends lee the contract that they have already agreed to the terms.  Lee sends it back and it is official.  If lee did sign this years contract and it did stipulate that flight and hotel will be paid for then you should argue for him to get those things.  If he does not competer or IFBB bans him then let the IFBB or AMI deal with him at that point.  At that point it would be an organization against an athlete.  
Again I do think you have done a lot so far this year, but arguments like these make it look like you work for the IFBB instead of an athletes rep. Again this is a just a fans view.  Keep on the good work.

G

This is a good example.  Geeves posts very rarely, and has been here and followed the boards for quite a while, if i recall correctly.

Of course you'll have the normal pro-PDI folks and other conspiracy crazies, waving their arms in the air yelling about whatever happens.  But when you have a level-headed middle-of-the-road fan like this, stating his opinion that the IFBB kinda did break their word, you may want to stop trying to "be right" and start thinking about the best long-term solution to this problem.

And it is a problem now.  Some will casually look at this and deduce that hey, Lee's doing the PDI so they're going to take his plane ticket back.  Simple as that.  Sure, there are contracts and debts, but since they did make an offer, and he did accept, then they did take it back... well...

My 2 cents - Chang, get Lee on the phone and resolve this tomorrow morning.  You might lose a grand on those tickets, but you'll more than make that up on the # of people buying the webcast just to catch a glimpse of Lee in the crowd, even if they do prevent him from competing.  Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish.  Do what's best for the IFBB and the O, THIS YEAR, not this week.  And above all, most people on the boards don't know who Robin Chang is - and it would be a shame that someone who worked so hard to put on good shows and keep a low profile would only be known by one negative event.

MADMAX6

• Getbig III
  • Max Muscle Venice
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 10:53:26 PM »
I'm sure this has nothing to do with Robin's decision but Lee has been very vocal and personal about how he feels about Robin, I remember reading in Musclemag last year right around the time Lee pulled out of the show.  They have a guy (Robin) running the Olympia who could not even run a Max Muscle store in Venice.

I thought at the time that this was uncalled for as Robin is a good guy and somebody who's been great at show promoting for a long time.  Running a retail store was never Robin's specialty and luckily for my, I bought said store from Robin and Flex Wheeler.  Robin did a great job taking over the O and everybody at AMI/Weider agreed last year, this year will be even better and I really felt bad for Robin that Lee said that about him and I did not understand why he would go there.

I even asked Robin myself what he thought about Lee's statements and he just shrugged and never even commented on it.  Robin is too much of a gentleman to retorque or attack Lee.

Max.  
Check often for updates @