Author Topic: Upright rows with the 45 pound bar  (Read 5862 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Upright rows with the 45 pound bar
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:21:28 PM »
for one hour with small rests is killer same with curls for an hour with the bar not 10 min not 20 min but an hour
A

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: Upright rows with the 45 pound bar
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 04:41:10 PM »
Do tell.
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:36:26 PM »
for one hour with small rests is killer same with curls for an hour with the bar not 10 min not 20 min but an hour

Doing jumping jacks for 12 hours non stop is a killer but it ain't gonna build any muscle.
nasser=piece of shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:05:35 PM »
Doing jumping jacks for 12 hours non stop is a killer but it ain't gonna build any muscle.
all calves
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:18:31 AM »
Do tell.

its a good weight to use i feel you can really get in the zone and really build the smaller muscle groups with a routine like this. it wouldnt work for deads though because you wont really feel it if you go too light on deads. but various forms of upright rows really works the entire deltoid and traps area. same with benching with a  light weight with various grips at a moderate pace and focusing on full range of motion everytime. its great cardio too if your legs are burnt out from other exercises
A

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:46:11 AM »
all calves

they're gonna be sore but I don't think your gonna build any muscle.
nasser=piece of shit

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:05:41 AM »
Daddywaddy you should write a book with all your interesting theories on muscle building and nutrition
L

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »
Sounds like those....."add one inch to your arms in one day".....articles.......

Can think of better things to do for an hour.........IMO.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »
Sounds like those....."add one inch to your arms in one day".....articles.......

Can think of better things to do for an hour.........IMO.

of course there are alot more fun things to do well duhh i could jack off for an hour, but it wouldnt build muscle because im not wacking till failure

if you did these rows or whatever you would probably hit faliure a few hundred times which is a great thing for stimulating to build muscle
A

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »
of course there are alot more fun things to do well duhh i could jack off for an hour, but it wouldnt build muscle because im not wacking till failure

if you did these rows or whatever you would probably hit faliure a few hundred times which is a great thing for stimulating to build muscle

I'll disagree with you.  I don't see any thing with this that would build muscle.  Sorry...I'm just stating my opinion.  I've done just about everything you can do since I started lifting and one thing I've learned is that in order to build muscle you must use something called overload.  You ain't overloading a thing with a 45lbs bar.  If it works for you great, I just think you'd be better off loading up a bar and doing a super heavy set of deadlifts say 500-600lbs for 4-6 reps than you ever would be doing an hour of 45lbs upright rows.  especially if you can beat youre previous weight each time, pushing yourself to the max.   Just my opinion.
nasser=piece of shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 08:15:43 PM »
I'll disagree with you.  I don't see any thing with this that would build muscle.  Sorry...I'm just stating my opinion.  I've done just about everything you can do since I started lifting and one thing I've learned is that in order to build muscle you must use something called overload.  You ain't overloading a thing with a 45lbs bar.  If it works for you great, I just think you'd be better off loading up a bar and doing a super heavy set of deadlifts say 500-600lbs for 4-6 reps than you ever would be doing an hour of 45lbs upright rows.  especially if you can beat youre previous weight each time, pushing yourself to the max.   Just my opinion.

you are overloading my friend start out with 185 on the bench do as many reps as you can, only take 10 seconds rest then do 135 as many as you can rest 5 seconds crank out more rest another 5 seconds repeat over and over till you cant do 135 after 5 seconds of rest. then go down to 95 and repeat over and over...

now tell me how this is NOT overload as you say. you are hitting failure or a wall or whatever, you get a painful pump in the chest and tris because rest is minimized. im not feeding you shit today, this is the real deal u should try it
A

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 04:23:09 AM »
you are overloading my friend start out with 185 on the bench do as many reps as you can, only take 10 seconds rest then do 135 as many as you can rest 5 seconds crank out more rest another 5 seconds repeat over and over till you cant do 135 after 5 seconds of rest. then go down to 95 and repeat over and over...

now tell me how this is NOT overload as you say. you are hitting failure or a wall or whatever, you get a painful pump in the chest and tris because rest is minimized. im not feeding you shit today, this is the real deal u should try it

is it overload?  On one level it is but are you pushing the max amount of weight you can handle for reps in good form?  If I go into the gym and load up a bar with 275lbs pump out as many reps as I can, lets say 9, rest 15 seconds and pump out 4 more rest 20 seconds and fail at 3 or 2 who do you think accomplished more?  There comes a point where a muscle truely fails, working beyond that is pointless, you're not really working the muscle anymore but your taxing your CNS and hurting your overall recovery.  what you're saying might be good for a change of pace but to train like that for extended periods of time is gonna burn the average guy out pretty fast, now some guys can get away with it like Serge Nubret and Thierry Pastel who trained for hours, maybe you can too but you take an average guy who's an ectomorph and he's gonna be burnt after about a week and a half.  I'm sure youre breaking the muscle down on some levels but you're limiting the amount of weight you can use by training for such a long period of time.  I think you're doing some out of the box thinking and that's fine but don't limit your ideas, go over to the ast site and read some of the articles over there, I don't train Max-ot anymore but the articles are well thought out and are written in a way that can help people understand the ill effects of marathon training.  I havent' been there for awhile so if they're not there anymore sorry.  I know your boy adonis hates DC but read his stuff, it's a VERY common sense approach to training and explains the concept of continuous overload very well.

Again, I respect what your saying and it may work in selected cases but overall I think the average guy is better suited to going to the gym, kicking ass for about 45 minutes and getting the hell out of there, just my opinion.
nasser=piece of shit

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 04:32:03 AM »

you get a painfull pump because of the lactic acid build up.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 04:57:09 AM »
you get a painfull pump because of the lactic acid build up.

excactly....the pump is not an indicator of muscle growth.
nasser=piece of shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 06:16:05 AM »
is it overload?  On one level it is but are you pushing the max amount of weight you can handle for reps in good form?  If I go into the gym and load up a bar with 275lbs pump out as many reps as I can, lets say 9, rest 15 seconds and pump out 4 more rest 20 seconds and fail at 3 or 2 who do you think accomplished more?  There comes a point where a muscle truely fails, working beyond that is pointless, you're not really working the muscle anymore but your taxing your CNS and hurting your overall recovery.  what you're saying might be good for a change of pace but to train like that for extended periods of time is gonna burn the average guy out pretty fast, now some guys can get away with it like Serge Nubret and Thierry Pastel who trained for hours, maybe you can too but you take an average guy who's an ectomorph and he's gonna be burnt after about a week and a half.  I'm sure youre breaking the muscle down on some levels but you're limiting the amount of weight you can use by training for such a long period of time.  I think you're doing some out of the box thinking and that's fine but don't limit your ideas, go over to the ast site and read some of the articles over there, I don't train Max-ot anymore but the articles are well thought out and are written in a way that can help people understand the ill effects of marathon training.  I havent' been there for awhile so if they're not there anymore sorry.  I know your boy adonis hates DC but read his stuff, it's a VERY common sense approach to training and explains the concept of continuous overload very well.

Again, I respect what your saying and it may work in selected cases but overall I think the average guy is better suited to going to the gym, kicking ass for about 45 minutes and getting the hell out of there, just my opinion.

I respect you too for explaining yourself and just insulting...but again to debate you about the fact "pump being an indicater of growth" yes it IS an indicater. Vessels change in diameter and push along inside of your muscles and actually move a microscopic amount, this traveling or change in shape is growth, yes it goes back down to size when the 'pump' leaves you after a workout, but each time you get a sick pump like that the body knows how far it was pumped from last workout, and if you push it (blood vessels ect) it will expand even more after last workout, im not talking about any great big deal of change but it is a change nonethe less.

yes pumping 275 for sets back to back with no rest is brutal but this only takes about a few minutes to accomplish. so yeah you working extremely hard for that few minutes is tougher than my few minutes with light weight, but this changes when im still repping and failing at the light weight continuously 20min to an hour of doing the movement by this time i will have hit failure ALOT and done ALOT more work than you..

i hear what you say about CNS all the time i took anatomy and physiology im no real expert though but you do realize the body and mind are capable of CHANGE. your body adapts to new stimulus all the time. your body is not going to DOWNGRADE it self from a workout, it will be DAMAGED but it always repairs back to the same level or slightly better for the next time

A

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 07:09:49 AM »
I don't know alot about the CNS but I'm under the impression that you cannot condition your CNS as your stating, maybe you can, I'd have to ask someone.  I really don't know a thing about that....that's a very complex issue when you think about it bacause now, I think your getting into the whole endocrine system and how it would react, I might be totally off base but I think the endocrine system has alot to do with the eventual condition of the cns...I'm not a doctor. 

the pump thing is tricky, depends who you talk to, like I said if I do jumping jacks for an hour I'm gonna get a pump but I don't think the overload is enough to induce growth, I could be wrong but this is what I believe.  Personally I don't put any credence into it, if I deadlift 700lbs for 3 reps I ain't gonna get much of a pump but I'll probably gain in the strength, muscle dept.  It's apples and oranges.

Anyway if you think it works go for it, your a big dude for being as tall as you are...the only way to really tell would be for you to get a LBM reading, train and eat like you do for a month get another LBM and then train heavy but short with the same diet and get an LBM again to see what induced more growth...might be more trouble than it's worth. 
nasser=piece of shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:43:59 AM »
I don't know alot about the CNS but I'm under the impression that you cannot condition your CNS as your stating, maybe you can, I'd have to ask someone.  I really don't know a thing about that....that's a very complex issue when you think about it bacause now, I think your getting into the whole endocrine system and how it would react, I might be totally off base but I think the endocrine system has alot to do with the eventual condition of the cns...I'm not a doctor. 

the pump thing is tricky, depends who you talk to, like I said if I do jumping jacks for an hour I'm gonna get a pump but I don't think the overload is enough to induce growth, I could be wrong but this is what I believe.  Personally I don't put any credence into it, if I deadlift 700lbs for 3 reps I ain't gonna get much of a pump but I'll probably gain in the strength, muscle dept.  It's apples and oranges.

Anyway if you think it works go for it, your a big dude for being as tall as you are...the only way to really tell would be for you to get a LBM reading, train and eat like you do for a month get another LBM and then train heavy but short with the same diet and get an LBM again to see what induced more growth...might be more trouble than it's worth. 

ive trained all sorts of ways, extremely heavy doing lots of unilateral negatives and spotting with the other arm, really strains and stretches the muscle. all training has good things about it, but by far the actual routine that makes me the sorest is using light weight many sets to failure short rest for over a long workout.

A

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »
ive trained all sorts of ways, extremely heavy doing lots of unilateral negatives and spotting with the other arm, really strains and stretches the muscle. all training has good things about it, but by far the actual routine that makes me the sorest is using light weight many sets to failure short rest for over a long workout.

ok, we can agree to disagree.  I'm glad to see that we could have a decent discussion instead of a bullshit arguement.  I'll say this, for your height you're pretty damn big.  I don't know if some of the shit you post is real or if it's an act....downing a 40 before cardio adn stuff but I think if you got really serious you could do some damage. 

Good luck and I hope you quit the lovefest with TA soon, I think you'd crush him if you wanted to and I think he's being your buddy cause he knows it....he's all about f'n with people's minds.
nasser=piece of shit

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 06:25:43 AM »
ok, we can agree to disagree.  I'm glad to see that we could have a decent discussion instead of a bullshit arguement.  I'll say this, for your height you're pretty damn big.  I don't know if some of the shit you post is real or if it's an act....downing a 40 before cardio adn stuff but I think if you got really serious you could do some damage. 

Good luck and I hope you quit the lovefest with TA soon, I think you'd crush him if you wanted to and I think he's being your buddy cause he knows it....he's all about f'n with people's minds.

yes i have drank 40's before and done cardio for kicks though. probably doesnt help, but being the gym was right down the road i thought it would be a good idea to do somethin than to do nothin, workout no matter what
A

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 05:55:31 PM »
lol..are you really natural dude or are you totally yanking our chains here?  :P

SOmetimes i just wonder..

If you really are natural, you should try a local show.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »

I respect you too for explaining yourself and just insulting...but again to debate you about the fact "pump being an indicater of growth" yes it IS an indicater. Vessels change in diameter and push along inside of your muscles and actually move a microscopic amount, this traveling or change in shape is growth, yes it goes back down to size when the 'pump' leaves you after a workout, but each time you get a sick pump like that the body knows how far it was pumped from last workout, and if you push it (blood vessels ect) it will expand even more after last workout, im not talking about any great big deal of change but it is a change nonethe less.

yes pumping 275 for sets back to back with no rest is brutal but this only takes about a few minutes to accomplish. so yeah you working extremely hard for that few minutes is tougher than my few minutes with light weight, but this changes when im still repping and failing at the light weight continuously 20min to an hour of doing the movement by this time i will have hit failure ALOT and done ALOT more work than you..

i hear what you say about CNS all the time i took anatomy and physiology im no real expert though but you do realize the body and mind are capable of CHANGE. your body adapts to new stimulus all the time. your body is not going to DOWNGRADE it self from a workout, it will be DAMAGED but it always repairs back to the same level or slightly better for the next time

excactly....the pump is not an indicator of muscle growth.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »

Monster endurance training

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 06:07:05 PM »

Your nuts.

Thats all

;D

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 01:08:18 AM »
If it gets you results, great. I can see this working like a drop set - killer pump and excruitiating pain. Never tried it myself.