Author Topic: 'TEXTING is as addictive as taking hard drugs....'  (Read 1750 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
'TEXTING is as addictive as taking hard drugs....'
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:05:10 AM »
I have to admit, there's been times when I've sent and received ridiculous amounts of text messages and spent a fucking fortune on the bastards. There was a time that I would have been lost without my mobile, now I don't give a shit.

Although it does still feel good when you wake up in the morning, check your phone and see five or six messages waiting for you.

What makes me laugh now a days is when your somewhere with a lot of people in the same place (bus station for example) and all you can hear is a multitude of various phones going 'beep beep' delivering useless messages like 'wer r u' or 'wot r u doin'

It's even more funny when a phone goes off in a crowded area and you see at least 5 people reach for their phone to check it, and to see the look of dismay on their face when it's not their phone is hilarious

So are you an infomaniac?

By Dr ARIC SIGMAN
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society

TEXTING is as addictive as taking hard drugs, a U.S. study reveals. Mobile phones, emails and pocket computers like the Blackberry – dubbed the Crackberry – are taking over our lives. Here, one expert gives his verdict on why we’re getting hooked on staying hooked up.

UNTIL recently we were only pestered by people who could physically tap us on the shoulder or step on our toes.

Now someone in Timbuktu can nudge us through the vibrate alert on our mobile phones and Blackberries — which isn’t good.

Like so many new inventions, these devices were intended to save us time and make our lives easier.

Instead they have become a lifestyle in themselves. The tail is now wagging the dog.

Just because texting isn’t a drug doesn’t mean it can’t cause physical and emotion harm — or what scientists call social disengagement.

Young people spend 55 per cent of their waking lives looking at screens. The obsession with texting and emailing is bound to increase this.

So while we’re busy communicating with people around the world, we are increasingly ignoring the important people in front of our noses. This has become a serious health issue.

Medical studies show that increasing numbers of children are suffering serious sleep deprivation because their mobiles are left on in their bedrooms at night.

British adults constantly complain about time poverty and having no or little down time yet when you add up the hours we spend looking at little screens, it is easy to realise how these electronic distractions could affect our health. Many people feel enslaved — trapped by the buzz of a text arriving or a mobile phone ringing.

Users find themselves constantly on edge because they can never disconnect or be left alone, and this is highly unnatural for humans.

As a result we have fewer connections with important people around us such as our family, friends and neighbours.

The test
WORRIED you might be in need of ringtone rehab? Answer these questions then follow the doctor’s advice:

Do you have your mobile on from the moment you wake up to the time you go back to bed?

Does your phone take priority, even if you are having a conversation with someone face-to-face?

Do you feel edgy if you can’t check for messages?

Do you spend more time communicating with others using a mobile than those in earshot?

If you answered yes to any of these don’t panic, here’s what you can do:

Stop and decide where your priorities lie and have a hard think about how much of your life is spent looking at screens and pressing little buttons.

Decide when you want to receive messages – don’t be on call the whole time.

Work out how many hours per day you have your mobile switched on and try to reduce it – otherwise you will find you are always on call and can never invest yourself fully in whatever you are doing without being distracted.

Remember – you are the boss.

If you’re still in need of an electronic fix, visit thesun.co.uk

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2006390253,00.html

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Re: 'TEXTING is as addictive as taking hard drugs....'
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:39:28 AM »
My boss chewed me out a few weeks ago. A girl i work with sent me 2000 texts in a month. It really is kinda addictive! :D
X

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:48:33 AM »

What makes me laugh now a days is when your somewhere with a lot of people in the same place (bus station for example) and all you can hear is a multitude of various phones going 'beep beep' delivering useless messages like 'wer r u' or 'wot r u doin'

It's even more funny when a phone goes off in a crowded area and you see at least 5 people reach for their phone to check it, and to see the look of dismay on their face when it's not their phone is hilarious

i fucking hate this, i hate these tool bags who have to be using their phones AT ALL TIMES when in public. people(especially girls) use their phone as a comfort blanket. my retard brother racked up over 88 calls PER DAY for the last year...is this really necessary?
the second people clock out at work, they pull out there phones automatically for the walk out of the building, just so its up to their ear as they walk past everyone else so they know the have lots of important plans' after work  ::). or when class lets out, the automatic response for girls is 1.put shit into bag as fast as possible 2. put phone to ear 3. walk out quickly with head down not making eye contact with anyone.  ::)
people cant possibly have this much to talk about everyday...its all just shit like 'hey. where are u.' 'hey.just got out of class'. 'hey.class just started.' it seems like its mandatory to have a phone to their ear AT ALL TIMES on the walk between classes, even if its 8:00 in the morning ::)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:54:23 AM »
My boss chewed me out a few weeks ago. A girl i work with sent me 2000 texts in a month. It really is kinda addictive! :D

I've been that bad in the past with a girl. It gets to a point when you start hearing phantom beeps going off or you think you can feel the phone vibrate in your pocket, when it hasn't

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:59:30 AM »
I don't text but I seem to be addicted to getbig :-[
R

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:16:47 AM »
It's only addictive for females. Males only use it to say things like "I am in your driveway, get the fuck out here" or "wanna fuck later?"
E

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »
I just make a fucking phonecall, fuck messages.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »
Texting's okay, but I get really fucked off with these idiots who walk round supermarkets with those fucking bluetooth headsets strapped to their ears. They've got a really smug, self contained look about them as if they fucking own the place. Tossers.