Author Topic: Should the IFBB revoke Pro Cards?  (Read 3870 times)

ether

• Getbig IV
Should the IFBB revoke Pro Cards?
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »
You could argue whether or not BB is a sport or not  ::), but the closest thing to it in the real world is probably golf.

When a player qualifes for the PGA tour, they don't have a lifetime exemption. If they suck ass and never win a tournament or finish high on the money list at the end of the year, its' back to q school or the nike tour.

Why isn't bodybuilding like that? Should a clown like Tamali or even others like Kenny Jones or Farah who consistently finish out of the top 6 at even smaller shows be allowed to show up to these events, which by the way are brutally long (over 20 competitors give me a break).

Can you imagine if Tamali HAD to finish in the top 3 at that show in order to remain an IFBB pro.

Why not set rules for qualifications like: top5 at the olympia or top 3 at another show have exemptions, winners of events exemptions for 2 years, winners of the arnold 3 years, winners of the olympia lifetime.

I think it would make the shows a lot more interesting. Also, the PDI could become like an intermediate between the IFBB and the amateur ranks, where second tier pros battle it out to try and make it back to the IFBB.

What do you think?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Should the IFBB revoke Pro Cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »
ether, I agree 100%.  A pro should have to meet certain criteria to keep a pro card.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »
I don't like the idea one bit. It's fun to see pros from all around the world competing. If some of them have shitty physiques so be it. The terrible physiques are just as fun to watch as the brilliant ones - just for different reasons . . .

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:30:42 AM »
ether, I agree 100%.  A pro should have to meet certain criteria to keep a pro card.

It would be awesome to see Kamali and the other have nots of the IFBB trying to requalify for their pro status battling it out with the younger guys in the NPC.

I think it would make the IFBB shows more interesting too....less clowns taking up time from the real competitors, the MC could create more of a buzz or a buildup for the big stars to come out...rather than have toney freeman come out after 20 no names no one cares about.

I don't like the idea one bit. It's fun to see pros from all around the world competing. If some of them have shitty physiques so be it. The terrible physiques are just as fun to watch as the brilliant ones - just for different reasons . . .

The terrible ones have their place, at local shows, qualifiers possibly the PDI if it were to become like the IFBB's developmental league.

No one wants to see those morons when they go to a real show, they are funny to watch for sure, but not when you want to see the best guys.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
You could argue whether or not BB is a sport or not  ::), but the closest thing to it in the real world is probably golf.

When a player qualifes for the PGA tour, they don't have a lifetime exemption. If they suck ass and never win a tournament or finish high on the money list at the end of the year, its' back to q school or the nike tour.

Why isn't bodybuilding like that? Should a clown like Tamali or even others like Kenny Jones or Farah who consistently finish out of the top 6 at even smaller shows be allowed to show up to these events, which by the way are brutally long (over 20 competitors give me a break).

Can you imagine if Tamali HAD to finish in the top 3 at that show in order to remain an IFBB pro.

Why not set rules for qualifications like: top5 at the olympia or top 3 at another show have exemptions, winners of events exemptions for 2 years, winners of the arnold 3 years, winners of the olympia lifetime.

I think it would make the shows a lot more interesting. Also, the PDI could become like an intermediate between the IFBB and the amateur ranks, where second tier pros battle it out to try and make it back to the IFBB.

What do you think?

Interesting idea.

To keep their pro cards, they would need a top 10 finish every second year in a Grand Prix. If you finish top 3, you'll get a 5 year exemption. If finishing top 10 at the O, also a 5 year exemption.

Just an example of what different placings would merit in.

With this concept, the IFBB wouldn't get watered out.

Guys like George Farah, who's sadly sporting a huge gut, would be forced to make changes.

Also, my guess is that the rotation of the top placers would become slightly more frequent.

An interesting idea. And I'm sure it will never happen, as too many Pro's are not good enough to win their card again, and extremely protective of that card.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »

An interesting idea. And I'm sure it will never happen, as too many Pro's are not good enough to win their card again, and extremely protective of that card.

YIP
Zack

I agree Zack.  I don't think any of them would approve of the idea.  Sad really, as it would add prestige to having a pro card.

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »
They pay to do shows - why make it worst on them?

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 12:58:14 PM »
They should revoke cards if your waist is over 40" on stage!!!  Not to mention any names... ::) Tamali...

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 04:04:35 PM »
They pay to do shows - why make it worst on them?
exactly.
bodybuildersreality.com