Author Topic: Question about being Sore  (Read 1857 times)

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
Question about being Sore
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »
I have noticed something interesting.  When I workout and don't eat large amounts of protien after working out, I don't get sore, but I also don't get stronger.  But yesterday after hitting the gym. I ate two bowls of Nutlettes ceral ( 100 grams of protien ).  The next day when I woke up I was sore.  So here is my question Is being sore a sign of your body repairing itself, or a sign of microtears to the mucles?

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: Question about being Sore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 02:36:20 AM »
don't think you can consider this a fact until you've noticed it a few times.  If this is the case then I am intrigued too.
It hasn't helped...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:51:02 PM »
i think this is a "one off"...

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
too much lactic acid buildup

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:22:05 PM »
not always...ive been sore from high rep, low weight workouts.  i doubt theres any lactic acid from doing that right?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:45 PM »
too much lactic acid buildup

Lactic acid doesn't cause muscle soreness.
Delayed onset muscle soreness,DOMS, is caused by muscle damage and post-exercise tissue inflammation.
:

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:58:09 PM »
Lactic acid doesn't cause muscle soreness.
Delayed onset muscle soreness,DOMS, is caused by muscle damage and post-exercise tissue inflammation.

Why is it then that many times people only experience DOMS the first time they workout, and then in following workout do not?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:33:47 PM »
Why is it then that many times people only experience DOMS the first time they workout, and then in following workout do not?

In short:

Adaptation
:

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:46:12 PM »
In short:

Adaptation

Exactly what I was thinking.....for my answer. You're body becomes more efficient at removing the lactic acid. That seems more practical to me than thinking you get sore from the breakdown of muscle. Is the soreness caused by removal of cellular waste products due to the decomposition of the muscle? If so, would this not occur every time you worked out? (considering that you shocked your body with a higher poundage?) In my experience I don't get sore in this situation. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.....for my answer. You're body becomes more efficient at removing the lactic acid. That seems more practical to me than thinking you get sore from the breakdown of muscle. Is the soreness caused by removal of cellular waste products due to the decomposition of the muscle? If so, would this not occur every time you worked out? (considering that you shocked your body with a higher poundage?) In my experience I don't get sore in this situation. 

Lactic acid is removed from the body quickly (within an hour).
The only relationship between the two is the fact that they both often happen due to exercise.

Read this:
http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=142
I'm going to bed. ;)
:

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

Lactic acid is removed from the body quickly (within an hour).
The only relationship between the two is the fact that they both often happen due to exercise.

Read this:
http://www.naturalphysiques.com/cms/index.php?itemid=142
I'm going to bed. ;)

Interest read. But, I also know it is just a theory, and we really don't know for sure what causes DOMS ;)
Say I give you this hypothesis: After exercise, lactic acid levels normally fall back to normal within an hour of exercise. However, it is possible that this buildup of lactic acid influences the release of other factors through unknown mechanisms which can result in DOMS.