Author Topic: Difference between total and free testosterone  (Read 8216 times)

schwarzenpecker

• Getbig II
  • You may have seen me at your local video store
Difference between total and free testosterone
« on: August 29, 2006, 06:45:43 PM »
I just got my total testosterone level tested and it is 326 which my doctor says is good but my sex drive and strength feel down. The test says that between 280 and 1100 is normal. I'm 43. What is the difference between total and free testosterone? What is the normal level for free testosterone. The dr says I don't need testosterone shots, even 200mg every 2 weeks will reduce my normal test production. I don't believe this of course.
     So do I need to get my free testosterone level checked or will another doctor prescribe me test shots with my 326 total test level?

ZEEK

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • WTF this stuff really works
Re: Difference between total and free testosterone
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
you dont need a doctor just get some test and go at it  ;D

dirtyman_209

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:21:32 AM »
haaaaaaaaaaaa   true

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 05:52:47 PM »
I just got my total testosterone level tested and it is 326 which my doctor says is good but my sex drive and strength feel down. The test says that between 280 and 1100 is normal. I'm 43. What is the difference between total and free testosterone? What is the normal level for free testosterone. The dr says I don't need testosterone shots, even 200mg every 2 weeks will reduce my normal test production. I don't believe this of course.
     So do I need to get my free testosterone level checked or will another doctor prescribe me test shots with my 326 total test level?

200mg every two weeks will do nothing but shut you down.  So yes it will lower your test production.  Take that two hundred and do it twice or three times a week and you'll get shutdown ofcourse but you'll reap the anabolic benefits.

Mr.Protein

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »

Different Labs use different parameters when determining if your level of Testosterone is within "normal limits".  My testing lab uses a reference range of between 240 - 950 ng/dl.

Your level of total Test. (326) would be "low/normal"... that is why your doctor does not think you are a candidate for HRT.

"Free Testosterone" can be valued either as a % of your Total Testosterone or simply a number.  My lab has a reference range of between 2.0 and 4.8% or an expected numerical value of between 9 and 30 ng/dl to designate below normal, normal and above normal levels.

Free Testosterone is the amount of unbound or "bioavailable" androgenic hormone that is responsible for building muscle. 

the price is great... so is the reward

unskinny

• Getbig II
  • Getbigtoo!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:05:48 AM »
Listen to what Mr. Protein said.
Total test levels are viewed by most to be less important than "free" test levels.  Free levels are what is available in the blood.  Only about 2 percent of testosterone is unbound (bio-available) and
therefore free to enter cells in order to effect its biological actions by binding to androgen receptors.  Also, most would say that  300 ng/dl (10.4 nmol/L) and 400 ng/dl (13.9nmol/L) would be considered LOW and merit possible treatment.

Most Dr.'s prescribe crappy Androgel but your best bet is injectable Test.  Dr's usually prescribe 200mg every 2 weeks.  Below is an exerpt from the Nw England Journal of Medicine (July 4, 1996 Volume 335, Number 1):
"To understand the work of Bhasin et al., it is important to relate the amount of testosterone that enters the blood after the intramuscular administration of testosterone enanthate with the rate at which the hormone is produced in normal men. (3) In men with hypogonadism, serum testosterone concentrations increased to 1400 ng per deciliter (48.5 nmol per liter) two days after the intramuscular administration of 100 mg of testosterone enanthate and declined to 800 ng per deciliter (27.7 nmol per liter) one week after treatment. (3) From these data and the rate of metabolic clearance of testosterone in men, (4) the amount of testosterone that enters the blood after an injection of testosterone enanthate can be estimated. Thus, an injection of 100 mg of testosterone enanthate results in a dose of testosterone almost double that produced by the testes of normal men (75 vs. 42 mg per week)."
MikeMatarazzo.com

schwarzenpecker

• Getbig II
  • You may have seen me at your local video store
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »
I'm going to try and get my doctor to prescribe me HCG at 1000iu eod for 10 days and that should boost my natural testosterone production. If that doesn't work then the testosterone shots will be the last resort. Once I  stop the shots, my test production will be worse than before. I don't want the yo-yo effect.
    I know I won't get any anabolic benefits from the HCG, but I'm only looking to improve my libido and well being.

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:45:25 PM »
Total testosterone gets bound to the sex hormone binding globulin, reducing the amount of free test in your system.

Ways to free up more testosterone are to cycle with proviron, also the supplement Avena Sativa (oat straw) is supposed to help.