Author Topic: Lifting for gains  (Read 1511 times)

weldr911

• Getbig II
Lifting for gains
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:08:48 PM »
I have been lifting many years and am pretty set in "my" ways of lifting to accomplish "MY" particular goals, (gain muscle & body weight, or cut up). I am starting a bulking cycle and already know how I am going to lift to try to make all the gains that I can. But I am curious as to how the other experienced muscle heads on this board lift during a bulking cycle. I know every one is different and everyone is entitled to an oppinion on what they think works best (with their bodies). High sets with low reps, with around 80% max rep, or high reps with lower sets and around 60% max rep.
I personally use heavy weight with around 8-12 reps and around 5-7 sets, (depending on how my body is feeling). But i will do many different for lifts for that particular muscle group.
( I know this is off the topic on this board, just curious)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: For the vets on here
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:35 PM »
I have been lifting many years and am pretty set in "my" ways of lifting to accomplish "MY" particular goals, (gain muscle & body weight, or cut up). I am starting a bulking cycle and already know how I am going to lift to try to make all the gains that I can. But I am curious as to how the other experienced muscle heads on this board lift during a bulking cycle. I know every one is different and everyone is entitled to an oppinion on what they think works best (with their bodies). High sets with low reps, with around 80% max rep, or high reps with lower sets and around 60% max rep.
I personally use heavy weight with around 8-12 reps and around 5-7 sets, (depending on how my body is feeling). But i will do many different for lifts for that particular muscle group.
I'm a bit of a high volume guy, I've tried other methods, but this is what seems to work best for me. Muscle groups like legs and back get any where between 16-20 sets, chest and shoulders 12-16, bi's and tri's 9-12. Reps are most always in the 8-12 range with the occasional 4-6 on deads or squats. Of course like a lot of guys I will incorporate higher reps by way of drop sets and super sets from time to time.

weldr911

• Getbig II
Re: Lifting for gains
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:13:24 PM »
Arnold Jr, how many reps are you doing in that 16-20 set workout for your legs and back? I couldn't do that, (lower back start killing me after around 8 sets, during squats). But I guess I could follow you in the 16-20 set, as long as I'm only doing 1 rep in each. As long as you don't laugh at me. LOL

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Arnold Jr, how many reps are you doing in that 16-20 set workout for your legs and back? I couldn't do that, (lower back start killing me after around 8 sets, during squats). But I guess I could follow you in the 16-20 set, as long as I'm only doing 1 rep in each. As long as you don't laugh at me. LOL
All sets are in the 8-12 range with the occasional 4-6 rep set.

ZEEK

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • WTF this stuff really works
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:43:11 PM »
I personlly lift heavy even if i cant lift it i get a spotter I do about 12 reps no matter what and about 3 to 4 sets.
but thats just me I like to get a better pumps then just doing light sets.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »

14-18 sets

reps 6-10

thats a rough workout for me on a bulker. obviously, they change a bit...but you get the picture

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
on bench, squats and deadlifts i warm up really well and hit 4 sets - 5,3,3,2 reps all explosive and with a pause like i was in a lifting meet.

all other lifts are in the 6-12 rep range in a pyramid fashion with perfect form and a slow negative.

12-14 sets for chest, legs and back

6-8 sets for shoulders, bi's, tri's, calves, abs and forearms...

low volume has always given me better "strength" gains...

i train in an attempt to get more weight OR more reps every workout when i'm bulking...every set is extremely intense and taken to positive failure, no help at all from spotters unless it's a drop set and i want to crank out a few extras. usually lift in a pyramid weight layout but sometimes i'll do supersets and drop sets to change stuff up.

8)