Author Topic: Taking time off from the gym during the year.  (Read 4969 times)

de Rooij

Taking time off from the gym during the year.
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:15:24 AM »
It's been 3 months already since I last hit the gym. Really, I was forced to do so because of my job, where I am getting more and more responsibilities and cannot really afford anymore to take time off several times during the day to eat or leave work at normal hours to go to the gym. But secretly, I'm telling myself that this is good anyway since my body will respond better and quicker than before when I hit the weights again. I think I'm bullshitting myself! WTF!

Is there anyone else here who is also (or used to) taking some time off from the gym or weights in general, voluntarily or not? How's your muscularity and strength affected? And how is the come-back usually? Painful or does your body remember, even after taking several months off?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: Taking time off from the gym during the year.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:33:54 AM »
1 week rest time is the most ive been away from the gym since i started lifting. And yes i think your fooling yourself.

getting back to your old shape shouldnt be a problem. muscle memory is a great thing.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:40:15 AM »
It's been 3 months already since I last hit the gym. Really, I was forced to do so because of my job, where I am getting more and more responsibilities and cannot really afford anymore to take time off several times during the day to eat or leave work at normal hours to go to the gym. But secretly, I'm telling myself that this is good anyway since my body will respond better and quicker than before when I hit the weights again. I think I'm bullshitting myself! WTF!

Is there anyone else here who is also (or used to) taking some time off from the gym or weights in general, voluntarily or not? How's your muscularity and strength affected? And how is the come-back usually? Painful or does your body remember, even after taking several months off?

your mind is finding justification for the increase in bodyfat and the lost of muscle.

You  meant to tell me that you can find 45 minutes 3-5 times to train? I will bet that you find time to watch TV everyday or run to dunkin donuts. Dude, stop finding excuses...man up, train

muscle memory, lol.....assuming that it has something to remember
Here comes the money shot

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:41:10 AM »

Small breaks are good. I usually take a couple weeks off in Feb and and again in the summer.  Three months is ridiculous, you are officially out of shape.

gymrat3082

• Getbig II
  • NPC Bodybuilder
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
3 months is a long time to take off, I usually take 1 week off, 2-3 times a year to rest up.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »
If you lift monster pountage,3months rest is not bad idea.
If you hit long plateu,even 1 year is good.
Because I see several people did it and start again and turn their body even bigger than before.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 08:01:27 AM »
Small breaks are good. I usually take a couple weeks off in Feb and and again in the summer.  Three months is ridiculous, you are officially out of shape.

Just because he hasn't been in the gym doesn't mean he's "out of shape," you idiot. You can still be in great overall shape without lifting weights. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

NeverTrustABlonde

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 08:02:05 AM »
i can't take off more than 4 days..... i'm an addict, what can i say

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:02:39 AM »
Just because he hasn't been in the gym doesn't mean he's "out of shape," you idiot. You can still be in great overall shape without lifting weights. ::)
are you going to take some time off to build up to those monstrous 235lb. upright rows?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
are you going to take some time off to build up to those monstrous 235lb. upright rows?

Haha monster wrist injuries.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »

Your sincerity reeks of weakness and lack of discipline. off with you!
$

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 09:20:46 AM »
I haven't train in almost 3 weeks so far...I'll be going back to the gym in 4 or 5 days....but 3 months??

If you're natural is not that bad .....but you still have a lot of "catch up" to be back in former shape.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »
I haven't train in almost 3 weeks so far...I'll be going back to the gym in 4 or 5 days....but 3 months??

If you're natural is not that bad .....but you still have a lot of "catch up" to be back in former shape.
Hahahahaha "Richard Gere" Hahahahahahaha!!!
?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 09:26:46 AM »

Please stop making fun of me Brian, I'm very sensitive :'(

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
Hahahahaha "Richard Gere" Hahahahahahaha!!!

LOL!!!!

You like that, don't you??? ;)

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 07:45:05 PM »
I take a couple of days off a month :P

Bast175

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »

that's embarassing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 10:56:12 PM »
I take off maybe 10 months a year.  Keeps my joints nice and well rested!

NeoSeminole

• Getbig V
  • Ronnie > Dorian
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 10:59:59 PM »
I take 1 week off every 6 weeks and a full month off once a year.

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 12:32:31 AM »
I am starting up again after about a 3 month layoff, which I do almost once a year now, and I find in about 4 to 6 weeks I can get myself built up to close to where I was before the layoff.

Of course, I have been training over 30 years, so If muscle memory is real, it works great for me !!!

I always train heavy and always natural. Always.

P.S. I dont seem to experience a lot of the joint problems others do, probably because of my layoffs. Good luck !!!

de Rooij

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:25:37 AM »
Thank you all for your motivating replies! Damn, I love this board!!! LOL!  :-*

Anal Iceman Lubeth

• Getbig III
  • I am no longer on friendly terms with St. blechman
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »

the feeling aint mutual sister
Chadwick Mower in 2008

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 01:47:41 AM »

pull up your panties and hit the gym
Here comes the money shot

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 02:07:05 AM »
I've been of for about 4 weeks in July/august, because I was on Borneo (Malaysian part). Over there I was pretty active as well. Walking tracks true the jungle, climbing 2 mountains ("Pinnacles" and Mt. Kinabalu), rafting, swimming etcetera will keep you in shape. Okay you loose some muscle, but you loose some fat as well. Back in the gym I started very easy with about 60-80 % of the amount of weights I was used to before that trip. The next week (last week) I felt I was really on my way back to the usual.   :)

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 02:29:14 AM »
just finished a week long bender

back in the gym tommorow