Author Topic: FLEX vs MD: The battle gets dirty  (Read 18917 times)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: FLEX vs MD gets dirty
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:32 AM »
haahhahah

I guess they got tired of writing articles on how to gain two inches on your bicepts in a month hahahah

meltdown city, popluation Flex Mag.
L

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 08:35:43 AM »
Ever since reading Peter's comments about Ronnie in the 2003 Olympia coverage issue, I am convinced the man is an idiot.

In the actual coverage, the reviewer (not peter) praises Ronnie.

In the editorial and the sidebar, Peter takes shots at Ronnie, at a time when no one else was.  He could not give credit where credit was due.

Ronnie deserved praise in 2003. Not derogatory comments..

I don't have the magazine in front of me so I can't comment on the side bar you mention. I just read the editorial online - http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_11_21/ai_111506185 - and I don't see any pot shots at Ronnie. Are these derogatory?

"He achieved greatness the old-fashioned way."

"Coleman, and Coleman alone, deserves all the kudos in the world for building the Believe It or Not physique he assembled for the 2003 Olympia."

I read the article and I see it as asking us if Ronnie should have had to arrive 40lbs heavier than in 2002 when the judges and fans said he was too light and had a distended stomach. He lost the SOS as a result.
Most people agree that Ronnie's best was the 2001 Arnold's where he was around 250. But it was almost demanded of him that he come in heavier in 2003. All of a sudden a 250lb Coleman was too small!
Now all the talk is of him being 300lbs at this years Olympia. If he comes in at 298 will he lose?
Is he better at 300 or 260?

I had a conversation with Dorian years ago when he was competing and he told me that he didn't want to walk around at 300lbs but that was what he had to do to compete. I'm pretty sure Ronnie feels the same way.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 08:45:24 AM »
When MD went "all natural" they bashed every magazine, athlete and organization that were associated with a "steroid look". When it was ready to go belly up..they switched over. That is when the bb industry and fans should of black balled them...I did.

They were part of a pubically traded company when they went natural.  That was to please shareholders. 

They switched over when the company went private again.
Motherboy (the band).

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 08:54:17 AM »
http://www.flexonline.com/news/145

apparently Peter McGough doesn't like the way the MD has been attacking Flex as of late. and they're not even giving any MD staff press passes this year (which is think happened last year too). this is just petty and gay. Flex is such a piece of crap magazine.

Dumasses.  All MD is going to do is use this to their advantage.  They will tell all of their readers that AMI is struggling and is trying to keep out the competition.

And by getting less publicity for the O, they are certainly setting themselves up for great future event attendance ::)
Motherboy (the band).

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 08:58:24 AM »
"How the hell can McGouch blast MD for ANYTHING"
Hedgehog

Dude, get a  grip, Peter is not the one complaining here, it is people fed up with what Blechman & Romano have said about him.

Read BEFORE you type! ::)

Purge_WTF

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 08:59:46 AM »
  "So while I naturally enjoy a good meal, I don’t remember, as Romano alleges, “eyeing the plates like I just got rescued from a deserted island.” I do remember wondering if Mr. Blechman might need a booster seat to reach the table." Priceless.

This only further serves to prove that Testicular Maldevelopment engages in the same kind of dejecta that they so often accuse Flex of propogating, albeit for different reasons. I can't help but be reminded of that roundtable discussion with Dave Palumbo right before he went away for selling Growth. Anyone remember how that muff-bag John Romano supposedly brought "stacks" of negative feedback that fans were giving "Jumbo" on these BBS's to the restaurant? And how Romano, in a desperate attempt to get us to stop slagging MD, suggested that the negativity was actually envy in disguise? Lest we forget how remarkably coincidental it was that two new Romano-penned articles, "The Romano Factor" and "Page 69", seemed to pop up right after the "Rage Page" disappeared from the mag.

Romano, get killed, would you please?

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 09:03:07 AM »
AMI is trying to dump Flex, FACT. Who cares? Flex ghostwrites articles and if it were up to Flex Johnnie Jackson would be on every cover, in every article, and every headline would be how he is "the worlds strongest bodybuilder" even though Ronnie Coleman is the real meal ticket.  MD is the same way.  Every issue is another "Lee Priest controversial story, Bodybuildings' REBEL!!!", another lame steriod article from a guy who in front of the world showed bbers and fans how to ruin a physique (Palumbo), and lame updates from their pros who say the same thing every month "I'm eating healthy and totally focused on the Olympia, blah blah blah."  The only difference is 4.99 and 7 something bucks and a couple training articles that are sometimes decent and great camera work depending on your point of view
Truly STOP WHINING

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 09:03:49 AM »
There is no way to prove circulation for a magazine that isn't audited.  They can claim whatever they want. AMI can at least prove their numbers

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 09:06:20 AM »
There is no way to prove circulation for a magazine that isn't audited.  They can claim whatever they want. AMI can at least prove their numbers

They can.
Every magazine get's figures back from their distributor.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 09:11:11 AM »
I have no problem with McGough's response there. I think the MD article warranted it. Obviously, everyone's stuck with deciding who's telling the truth, but if Kevin Hyson is correct in his retelling, then Blechman's a jerk and a shifty businessman (and had NO real intention of buying Flex magazine like he's claimed if he really did act that way).

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 09:16:20 AM »
Another smart business move by AMI  ::)

One could say the same about you John when you decided to insult the guy who owns the show?

getfast81

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 09:19:33 AM »
INTENSE!!!!!!!!! Next months cover, the month after that and the month after that
Truly STOP WHINING

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »
brutal 5lb. plates on the dumbbell.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 09:22:33 AM »
Muscle Development is a great magazine and that's why I plan to run some small ads with them soon in the back pages rather than Flex Magazine.

However....

Muscle Development has flip-flopped in the past years while Flex has never done anything of the sort.  Also, MD has been slamming Flex left and right in just about every magazine.  The article that John Romano wrote was obviously slanted in favor of making Steve Blechman look like the Messiah and David Pecker look like the devil.  The cartoon drawing of Pecker was pretty conclusive of that.  Peter McGough is also right about the content of the magazine.  Tons of articles describing and recommending cycles and stacks of steroids, sleazy pictures and drawing of women trannies.  Questionable writers like John Romano who is a drug addict ala Basehead who's been kicked out of more gyms than the Fat Boys getting kicked out of restaurants, Gregg Valentino who has mutant arms and writes about fat girls, dirty jokes, and other crap in all capital letters, Dave Palumbo who gives out information on stacking different steroids and perscription medicine etc.

But the reason I'm still putting my ads in MD is because despite all the vile stuff they write, they also have a wide range of great articles as well as a number of fitness professionals writing as well.  When I pick up an MD book, its a lot heavier than a Flex book so I feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth.  And Peter should know by now that sex sells and doesn't have any room to talk since Flex post scantly clad women in their mags as well.  And his assumption that the publication of 30,000 may be correct but the majority of people pick it up at places like Book's a Million or Walmart who just allowed their magazines back.

Overall Peter McGough is now being immature and not bright by canceling their press passes.  This only gives MD more ammo and reason to blast Flex out of the water and lose more of their circulation   
A

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 09:23:20 AM »
brutal 5lb. plates on the dumbbell.

Heavier than that son.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 09:24:04 AM »
Heavier than that son.
ok, "dad", they don't look bigger than that.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 09:25:26 AM »
ok, "dad", they don't look bigger than that.

Well when you get to add a few more plates to your collection when you grow up you'll see that they also do them in 10's 15's 20's etc.

getfast81

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
who do you want selling your magazine?
Truly STOP WHINING

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2006, 09:27:30 AM »
who do you want selling your magazine?

A newstand?

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 09:27:56 AM »
Well when you get to add a few more plates to your collection when you grow up you'll see that they also do them in 10's 15's 20's etc.
hahahaha, you sound like another guy who believes all of the claims that pros make about the weights they claim to lift, do you really believe that Johnnie Jackson barbell military presses 405 for 10 seated? or does 120lb. db lateral raises, hahaha, i guess that's why he strugges his ass off with a 495lb. deadlift for 5 reps on BFTO'04.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2006, 09:29:38 AM »
hahahaha, you sound like another guy who believes all of the claims that pros make about the weights they claim to lift, do you really believe that Johnnie Jackson barbell military presses 405 for 10 seated? or does 120lb. db lateral raises, hahaha, i guess that's why he strugges his ass off with a 495lb. deadlift for 5 reps on BFTO'04.

hahahahaha. What I do know is that the weight in that shot is genuine.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2006, 09:30:46 AM »
hahahahaha. What I do know is that the weight in that shot is genuine.
you didn't answer my question.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

getfast81

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2006, 09:32:03 AM »
A newstand?
Or maybe Arnold for the tenth millionth time you good ol boy.
Truly STOP WHINING

getfast81

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2006, 09:34:44 AM »
Hey Kev, honestly I have seen you post a lot and you obviously know your stuff.  But according to you there is absolutely nothing wrong with Flex, cannot be harmed.  BULLSHIT.  Why is AMI trying to dump it?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115024380467179519-_I4qiGDM2hxz8fmORwRJH1JE__Y_20060621.html
Truly STOP WHINING

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2006, 09:38:20 AM »
LOL... imagine the Time and newsweek editors and contributors going on a message board and bashing each other.

Come on guys, you're better than this.

Focus on how you can grow the sport as a whole.  Both of your magazines will do better as a result.