Author Topic: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop  (Read 9905 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
i was thinking about the possibility of riots/unrest should the PD act like they're above explaining their actions.

I don't know that the PD will have vicarious liability in this case . . . someone else probbly knows this stuff better than i do.

in other words, theymight not have to explain anything.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »

I don't know that the PD will have vicarious liability in this case . . . someone else probbly knows this stuff better than i do.

in other words, theymight not have to explain anything.

yeah, legally they can wait til trial or keep a lot of it in-house.

given the state of affairs in America, they'd be wise to put out the facts immediately and assume a public position of neutrality.  A stance of "our guy is innocent" before an investigation, even if they feel that way secretly, would be PR suicide.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 05:17:24 PM »
I just love the way you guys are calling guilt or innocence, justification or provocation, predicting riots, etc., etc., without any solid information on this. wait for the info to come out why don'tcha?
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »
Well, this is terrible!   >:(

body88

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 05:48:22 PM »
If you where wasted and being hassled at your own house by a off duty cop you would be acting like an asshole. Did he deserve to go to jail? most likley. But I HIGHLY doubt this joker had to shoot him. How many drunken drivers have to be SHOT a year?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 05:57:03 PM »
I just love the way you guys are calling guilt or innocence, justification or provocation, predicting riots, etc., etc., without any solid information on this. wait for the info to come out why don'tcha?

jaguar have you ever met james brooks?

avesher

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Oh Potato, Sleepy Time
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »

shut up and iron my shirt

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
fucking cowardice. I hope the guy pulls through - he deservs better than to die by the hand of some over-zealous and likely racist prick of a cop.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »
Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot near his upscale suburban house by an off-duty policeman early Sunday morning in his second brush with police in 4 1/2 months. Coach Marty Schottenheimer said the wounds were not life-threatening.

"All we're worried about is that he's OK," Schottenheimer told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Foley's agent, David Levine, told the AP that Foley was shot three times and had surgery for wounds to his leg, arm and chest.

"He's out of danger at this point," Levine said.

The Chargers will open the season at Oakland on Sept. 11, the day Foley turns 31.

Sheriff's officials said the early morning shooting occurred after the off-duty Coronado police officer followed a suspected drunken driver weaving in and out of freeway traffic at speeds up to 90 mph. Authorities said the driver nearly collided with several other vehicles.

Foley stopped three times, sheriff's officials said. During one of the stops, Lisa Maree Gaut, a passenger in the vehicle, yelled at the officer, authorities said.

The shooting occurred after Foley got out of the vehicle near his home and began walking toward the officer, sheriff's officials said. Gaut got behind the wheel and drove next to Foley in the direction of the officer, the officials said.

The officer identified himself, authorities said, and warned Foley he was armed. He fired a warning shot, at which point Gaut steered the car at the officer, sheriff's officials said.

"The officer fired two rounds at the vehicle," sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said. "The male then came at the officer and put his right hand by his waistband and the officer fired at him."

Paramedics were called to the neighborhood in Poway, northeast of San Diego, at 3:47 a.m. and transferred a trauma victim to Sharp Memorial Hospital.

Sheriff's officials wouldn't say how many times Foley was shot or what, if any, charges will be filed against him.

Coronado police also declined to give any information about the off-duty officer. Coronado, a wealthy peninsular enclave, is across the bay from downtown San Diego. Sheriff's officials said the off-duty officer first encountered Foley on a freeway in northern San Diego.

Gaut, 25, was booked into Las Colinas Detention Facility on suspicion of DUI and assault with a deadly weapon. Bail was set at $17,500. She was scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

San Diego Chargers linebacker Steve Foley raises his fist to fans while leaving the field after his team beat the Indianapolis Colts in Indianapolis, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005 in this file photo. Foley was shot by an off-duty police officer in front of his suburban home on Sunday, Sept. 3.

Meanwhile, authorities towed a Cutlass Supreme with a purple interior late Sunday afternoon from the neighborhood of spacious ranch homes, large lots and towering eucalyptus trees.

Neighbor Kent Goodman said the car belonged to Foley. According to the Chargers' media guide, Foley and his father restored a 1971 Cutlass Supreme.

Another neighbor, Rick Jennings, said he was awake at 3:40 a.m. when he heard yelling outside. He went outside after hearing two loud pops he thought were firecrackers.

"I heard a female scream, 'Let it go! No, no, no!' And then four more shots. I heard more screaming and then two more shots and in seconds the first marked officer showed up."

Goodman, who lives three doors from Foley, said he awoke to what he thought was the revving of Foley's car.

"It sounded like his car backfired a couple times. A few seconds passed and I heard more revving and then rapid shots. They were in rapid succession," Goodman said.

Foley had lived at the Poway home for about 1 1/2 years.

Foley, who played at Northeast Louisiana from 1994-97, has played eight seasons in the NFL, for Cincinnati, Houston and San Diego. He signed with the Chargers in March 2004. That year he set career highs with 10 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Foley was arrested April 21 on charges of resisting arrest after police said he scuffled with officers. He also was booked on charges of battery on a police officer and public drunkenness.

The district attorney's office said recently it was not pursuing charges against Foley in that incident.

The Chargers did not practice on Sunday.

Associated Press Writers Christina Almeida in Los Angeles and Elliot Spagat in San Diego, and freelance writer Sandy Burgin in San Diego, contributed to this report

avesher

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Oh Potato, Sleepy Time

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 10:40:56 PM »

Sweet mother of god....jag and I agree. You guys have no idea what happened. If it happend as laid out in the article then the cop had provocation. We have no idea what color the cop was. Further, cops usually don't fire warning shots...either u fire to kill or u don't. Lets see what happens before jumping to conclusions. This is exactly the stuff that causes riots and other stupidity.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2006, 12:09:39 AM »
Sweet mother of god....jag and I agree. You guys have no idea what happened. If it happend as laid out in the article then the cop had provocation. We have no idea what color the cop was. Further, cops usually don't fire warning shots...either u fire to kill or u don't. Lets see what happens before jumping to conclusions. This is exactly the stuff that causes riots and other stupidity.

:o   :o  Believe me, I'm just as shocked as you over this. {lol} Whadya think it means?  :-\  ???

REPENT: THE END IS NEAR!!!
w

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 02:57:36 AM »
At that, the police officer pulled out his handgun and verbally identified himself, warning Foley to stop walking toward him, the investigator said.

"That's a BB gun," Brugos said Foley told him.

Foley then stopped his advance, returned to his car and pulled away, driving at least two more miles before stopping on Travertine Court, the upper-class street where he lives, Brugos said.

The officer said Foley again got out of his car and walked toward him, while his passenger -- Lisa Maree Gaut -- drove alongside him in the car.

"As the suspect approached, the officer again identified himself as a police officer and that his gun was real," the police statement said.

To prove it, the officer said he fired one warning shot into bushes and two shots toward the sky.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »
To prove it, the officer said he fired one warning shot into bushes and two shots toward the sky.

Multiple confrontations and 3 warning shots... damn...

Did he ever call it in at all?  I can't fathom a scenarion in which he doesn't hit 911 on his cell at least.  3 warning shots and multiple interactions eithout calling in backup sounds like a hreo complex.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 08:33:52 AM »
Multiple confrontations and 3 warning shots... damn...

Did he ever call it in at all?  I can't fathom a scenarion in which he doesn't hit 911 on his cell at least.  3 warning shots and multiple interactions eithout calling in backup sounds like a hreo complex.

he's still fucked . . . if a jury decides against his version of events, all these stories will not matter. hope he has a good homeowner's or similar policy.

oh, and jaguar is a colossal dumbass.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 08:34:50 AM »
he's still fucked . . . if a jury decides against his version of events, all these stories will not matter. hope he has a good homeowner's or similar policy.

who is fcuked, the NFLer or the cop?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
who is fcuked, the NFLer or the cop?

the cop . . . unless he can somehow afford a better lawyer than a guy who's been in the NFL 9 yrs.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 08:48:39 AM »
the cop . . . unless he can somehow afford a better lawyer than a guy who's been in the NFL 9 yrs.

yeah i agree.  Credibility goes up so much for the cop when he calls in backup.  Firing warning shots and playing tag... that's someone an off duty cop doesn't do.  Dumb of him.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 08:50:12 AM »
yeah i agree.  Credibility goes up so much for the cop when he calls in backup.  Firing warning shots and playing tag... that's someone an off duty cop doesn't do.  Dumb of him.

does anyone know how old the cop is? sounds like might be on the younger side . . . immature and full of beans.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2006, 09:12:21 AM »
I don't know what the rules of engagement are in San Diego, but in Hawaii cops do NOT fire warning shots.  They are trained to fire their weapon until the threat is stopped and they aim for center mass.  I would imagine this is standard operating procedure for cops in other jurisdictions. 

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pull over for a guy in plain clothes waiving a gun.  I don't care if he identified himself as Jesus Christ.  I'd drive straight to the nearest police station. 

We obviously don't know all of the facts, but an off duty cop outside his jurisdiction shooting an unarmed man on the street where the man lives sounds pretty bad for the cop. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2006, 09:21:15 AM »
Cops are too much.  What right does a cop have outside of his juristiction, especially OFF duty?  He should have called the police and followed the guy if he thought he was drunk...that's it.  Any cops here?  Do you have any arresting ability OUTSIDE of your juristiction and off duty?

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
I don't know what the rules of engagement are in San Diego, but in Hawaii cops do NOT fire warning shots.  They are trained to fire their weapon until the threat is stopped and they aim for center mass.  I would imagine this is standard operating procedure for cops in other jurisdictions. 

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't pull over for a guy in plain clothes waiving a gun.  I don't care if he identified himself as Jesus Christ.  I'd drive straight to the nearest police station. 

We obviously don't know all of the facts, but an off duty cop outside his jurisdiction shooting an unarmed man on the street where the man lives sounds pretty bad for the cop. 

Exactly, Beach Bum!!!  In this day with everyone having guns..especially in one of the gang capitol areas of the country like Southern Cali I wouldn't have trusted he was a cop also.  I think the guy should not have made contact until police were there.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »

I agree 100%

Sounds like this was a pretty dangerous damn chase around town from what I'm reading, and Why didn't the plain clothes officer call in for an uniform? I didn't read anywhere that the cop had no comms. I guess they'll add that little part in later.  ;)

Heck no I wouldn't pull over for a mofo "saying" he is an officer.

This entire story sounds way too out of the ordinary man. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2006, 09:59:35 AM »
cops do NOT fire warning shots.  They are trained to fire their weapon until the threat is stopped
No one's explained here why warning shots would in any way be a negative given the context, regardless of whether it's part of procedure.

OF COURSE the off-duty copy had to pursue and eventually fire-what else was he to do faced with an immediate threat of a maniac weaving through traffic at 90 barely missing cars, then later very threatening at 6'4" and over 260 walking towards him. Same thing with his out of control girlfriend, screaming then aiming her car at the guy. Hello?  ::) ??? This one's a no-brainer.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2006, 10:13:45 AM »
the cop fired warning shots into the bushes?  WTF?  In a heavily populated residential area he fires shots at that height/level.  This whole thing stinks bigtime.