Author Topic: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop  (Read 9918 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:38:44 PM »
 Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot by an off-duty policeman in front of his suburban home Sunday, team and sheriff's department officials said.

His condition wasn't immediately known.

"We have confirmed that linebacker Steve Foley was shot early this morning," team spokesman Bill Johnston said in a statement. "We'll try to provide more information as it becomes available. Right now all of our thoughts are with Steve."

The shooting occurred after an off-duty policeman reported seeing a suspected drunken driver weaving in and out of traffic on an area highway, said sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos.

"My understanding is he was shot three times in front of his house by an off-duty officer and that he's in surgery," Foley's agent, David Levine, told The Associated Press.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Chargers LB shot in front of his own home by off-duty cop
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:40:12 PM »
not on espn.com yet, but this is:

Big Ben Has Emergency Appendectomy
Ben Roethlisberger underwent emergency appendectomy on Sunday and is expected to spend the night in a Pittsburgh-area hospital. It is unknown exactly how long the Steelers QB might be out, but it is expected that he will miss Thursday's season opener against the Dolphins.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »
same info on cnn.com

(CNN) -- The San Diego Chargers' Steve Foley was shot by an off-duty police officer early Sunday, a San Diego Sheriff's spokesman said.

The shooting came days after the linebacker had been cleared on charges stemming from a scuffle with police in April.

The 30-year-old, nine-year NFL veteran was taken to San Diego's Sharp Memorial Hospital.

Foley was shot at about 3:30 a.m. (6:30 a.m. ET) on a street in the upscale neighborhood where he lived.

The officer involved in the shooting was from the Coronado Police Department, an island town about 20 miles from the scene of the shooting, which took place in the town of Poway, San Diego Sheriff's Lt. Scott Rossall said.

It was not immediately clear why the Coronado officer was in Poway or why, while off duty, the officer would stop Foley's vehicle, Rossall said.

A statement from the Chargers confirmed that Foley was shot.

In a statement, the Coronado police chief confirmed one of his officers was involved in a shooting in Poway, but did not identify the officer.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:42:19 PM »
seems like we have an overzealous cop . . . what happens now?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 03:43:35 PM »

hopefully the dashcam will tell the story. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »
Not much on NFL.com, just a statment on the Chargers site saying the shooting was confirmed and it was Foley!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »

He'll miss the season :-\!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »

its always the cop like this guy coulnd not have brought it upon his own self...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 03:46:36 PM »
its always the cop like this guy coulnd not have brought it upon his own self...

dashcams are so good for eliminating the he said/she said stuff.  Could be a trigger happy cop just as easil as it could have been an obnoxious drunk guy taking a swing.  Hopefully the video will make it abundantly clear.

Now, if the dashcam mysteriously malfunctioned lol... then I might cry coverup :P

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 03:49:21 PM »
if he was off-duty, he could a been driving anything. no dash cam

off-duty
three shots
way out of his own precinct
and I'm sure Foley wasn't driving a beater

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 03:50:32 PM »
dashcams are so good for eliminating the he said/she said stuff.  Could be a trigger happy cop just as easil as it could have been an obnoxious drunk guy taking a swing.  Hopefully the video will make it abundantly clear.

Now, if the dashcam mysteriously malfunctioned lol... then I might cry coverup :P

240 you might have to change your avatar to V..lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »

off-duty
three shots

ahh good point about the cam. 

They're being very quiet about his condition even though he was shot 16 hours ago ... probably not a good sign?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 03:53:46 PM »

off-duty
three shots

let me guess white cop..black guy weaving down the road in a BMW off duty figures he has a stole car or drug dealer, football guy is still jacked up from other incident and gets out ready to throw down cope is little guy gets scared and draws the gun and my foley keeps coming with the whole "what you gonna shoot me" attidude and bang bang bang a shooting happens...freaking sorry shit just like a bad tv movie.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
shoulda called uniforms. little guy w a napoleon complex more likely . . . following some guy on his own. and I'm sure when Foley got out, he realized it wasn't some little gangbanger, but probably an athlete. i'm not letting the cop off for this one.

oh well, Coronado PD is going to go broke over this guy's gung ho-ness. Although I'm not sure if you can argue that it was part of his job . . . so maybe not.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 03:59:51 PM »
shoulda called uniforms. little guy w a napoleon complex more likely . . . following some guy on his own. and I'm sure when Foley got out, he realized it wasn't some little gangbanger, but probably an athlete. i'm not letting the cop off for this one.

oh well, Coronado PD is going to go broke over this guy's gung ho-ness. Although I'm not sure if you can argue that it was part of his job . . . so maybe not.

what you think he had on his jersey and was caring a bible in one hand and a football in the other and was being peacfull when he got out...?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
hmm....haven't heard much on the news about it yet....

but the cops around here are a bunch of wanna-be cowboys

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 04:02:03 PM »
hmm....haven't heard much on the news about it yet....

but the cops around here are a bunch of wanna-be cowboys

I thought you were in OC?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 04:05:42 PM »
what you think he had on his jersey and was caring a bible in one hand and a football in the other and was being peacfull when he got out...?

come on, get real here. this off-duty cop was way over the line . . .

I'm not a cop-hater like some on these boards, but this is just bs.

he shoulda just called uniforms instead of trying to handle it cowboy style.

Even if Foley had a gun, any trial lawyer worth his salt is going to have a field day with this one.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »
come on, get real here. this off-duty cop was way over the line . . .

I'm not a cop-hater like some on these boards, but this is just bs.

he shoulda just called uniforms instead of trying to handle it cowboy style.

Even if Foley had a gun, any trial lawyer worth his salt is going to have a field day with this one.

I am not saying the cop was doing the right thing, some freaking cops can't jack it down after there shift and feel the need to be 24 hour cops, and I am sure this guy crossed a line but I highly doubt foley was innocent and did not help in causing the esclation and in fact get shot for being a badass.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
I thought you were in OC?

I never said that....thats what Geo said.  I just went a long with it.

;D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
I am not saying the cop was doing the right thing, some freaking cops can't jack it down after there shift and feel the need to be 24 hour cops, and I am sure this guy crossed a line but I highly doubt foley was innocent and did not help in causing the esclation and in fact get shot for being a badass.

oh, i'm not saying that foley is an innocent . . . after all, for some reason, he attracts attention from cops.  but he was cleared off charges the first time.

and now this cop has gone and fucked up his life and Coronado PD's rep . . . and it seems like he has no good reason. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »
I'd be interested to see if the off-duty cop called in anything before bullets were fired.

A few years back, tupac shot two off duty cops who failed to identify themselves, and he was not charged.

Probably a case of rich athlete with a slight buzz getting tailed home, very quick misunderstanding/confrontation, and bullets fly.  

Happening in Cali, this could get ugly fast is the guy dies or makes noise... his football career could very well be over if he does live.  I know I'd be very pissed if some a-hole with a hero complex decides to F with me in his spare time in front of my own house, and I lost my football career over it.  

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 04:18:54 PM »
oh, there's going to be a huge civil suit w this one.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »

A few years back, tupac shot two off duty cops who failed to identify themselves, and he was not charged.

question of fact . . . will go to jury. I'm sure FOley has a good trial lawyer (got off once already)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
oh, there's going to be a huge civil suit w this one.

i was thinking about the possibility of riots/unrest should the PD act like they're above explaining their actions.