Author Topic: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!  (Read 13073 times)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: McGough Banning MD from the O?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »
IF they banned all fat people from the O then he wouldnt be allowed in...
L

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »
First off, their not banned from the O, they simply wont be getting press passes. Getting press passes for the Olympia is not a right, it's a privilege...If MD has the right via free speech, to bash on FLEX, Weider, McGough, Pecker, and Chang all year long...then AMI certainly has the right via free speech....to revoke their press passes.

We aren't talking about a single article, or comment...it's been a continuous barage year after year.

There are ramifications that come with the "being a rebel" gig...
Okay nice they're not banned, so what?  They can pay VIP passes however much that is to get.  BS.  I know what you're sayin.  MD has bashed AMI a couple of times.  But if Flex/AMI/IFBB whoever is so powerful and almighty what message does it send to revoke passes of a magazine that in theyre mind doesnt compete with them.  Lee Priest has bashed them time and time again, do you not let him into the expo because of that.  They should worry more about getting the production end of it right before they ban a couple of "rebels".
Truly STOP WHINING

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
No one stated they were...

I honestly don't think it is bothering them.  I haven't heard from Romano all day.  I know he's reading all this stuff.  I don't see how revoking their press passes does anything other than give MD more opportunity to bash Flex.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »
First off, their not banned from the O, they simply wont be getting press passes. Getting press passes for the Olympia is not a right, it's a privilege..

It's a privilege granted for those working as journalists.

Press passes are not some kind of VIP passes. Their function is to help the journalists do a better job of covering the event in question.

It's a privilege, and this privilege shouldn't be fcuked with.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »

Press passes are not some kind of VIP passes. Their function is to help the journalists do a better job of covering the event in question.

YIP
Zack

You're right...and they fucked themselves out of that privilege throughout the year with malicious bashing and personal attacks of the very people that give the press passes.

Not the brightest move...you reap what you sow.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »

YIP
Zack

With all due respect, I think you have it backwards.  The privilege is getting your event covered in the press for free.  The press pass merely facilitates the journalists doing their job.  Locking MD out of the press pit lessens Olympia coverage.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
You mean they'll lesson the bashing, mocking, and malicious "reporting"...that seems to be the reason they're getting revoked in the first place?

I'm sure AMI is saying, "Don't do us any favors..."

Writing an opinion on the show is one thing...taking personal shots at McGough,etc. is clearly over the line

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 06:06:07 PM »
With all due respect, I think you have it backwards.  The privilege is getting your event covered in the press for free.  The press pass merely facilitates the journalists doing their job.  Locking MD out of the press pit lessens Olympia coverage.

Either you read me wrong, or I was being unclear.

Probably the latter. I agree with your assessment.

My point is, that whatever beef FLEX and MD has going, it's a journalistic disaster that AMI chooses to pull the press passes for MD as part of that feud.

I just don't believe in preventing journalists from doing their job.

Which this is. Will MD still be able to cover the Olympia somehow?

Should they?

I don't think so.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 06:06:31 PM »
The 2nd biggest magazine in the business and reaches hundreds of thousands of people on newsstands and theyre banning them. PDI, of course but MD is not a rival to the IFBB.  

You may want to double check those figures...MMI would disagree for sure, as well as Ironman

C
CD
M&F & FLEX

shutupandtrain88

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »
First off, their not banned from the O, they simply wont be getting press passes. Getting press passes for the Olympia is not a right, it's a privilege...If MD has the right via free speech, to bash on FLEX, Weider, McGough, Pecker, and Chang all year long...then AMI certainly has the right via free speech....to revoke their press passes.

We aren't talking about a single article, or comment...it's been a continuous barage year after year.

There are ramifications that come with the "being a rebel" gig...

So basically the only press passes issued will be to yes men and those that toe the ifbb line.  it's more and more of a joke every single year. I'd love to see what would happen if the white house banned all journalists that attack the president every day all year long.  reeks of communism, or whatever other ism you want to call it.  Is the ifbb/ami that afraid of the bashing/truth, are they that immature that they will ban a magazine that doesnt like them?  Id the Olympia going to be THAT BAD that they want to be able to control what people hear about it?  Bob, ami, ifbb are all getting to self important, come back to earth already. "company man" doesn't fit you enough, ami rep

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
You mean they'll lesson the bashing, mocking, and malicious "reporting"...that seems to be the reason they're getting revoked in the first place?

I'm sure AMI is saying, "Don't do us any favors..."

Writing an opinion on the show is one thing...taking personal shots at McGough,etc. is clearly over the line

You make it sound like Flex and McGough have never laid a hand on MD.  They have thrown their share of mocking, bashing and malicious "reporting" and personal attacks.  They should have thicker skin.  They should also put on a better show. They lead with their chin.

lonewolf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 06:09:51 PM »
You're right...and they fucked themselves out of that privilege throughout the year with malicious bashing and personal attacks of the very people that give the press passes.

Not the brightest move...you reap what you sow.
I mistakenly thought we lived in  a free  society where the right to criticize without punishment and  censurship is a basic right . Of course I didn't realize that Flex was exempt from the constitution. I wonder when someone will have the balls to sue over some the crap that they think it's ok to get away with. OH! I forgot this is bodybuilding where almost everyone is owned

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »
You may want to double check those figures...MMI would disagree for sure, as well as Ironman

C
No, Maybe you should.  I didnt say that hundreds of thousands of people buy it, I said it reaches that many people.  Any fan of fitness, bb, weightlifting, or nutrition in general might breeze by and pick up and read MD. God knows I do.  Im not paying 7.99 or whatever it is for that mag every month.  Flex isnt even worth it every month.  Motor Trend, hell yeah (10 bucks to subscribe anyway).
Truly STOP WHINING

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
Either you read me wrong, or I was being unclear.

Probably the latter. I agree with your assessment.

My point is, that whatever beef FLEX and MD has going, it's a journalistic disaster that AMI chooses to pull the press passes for MD as part of that feud.

I just don't believe in preventing journalists from doing their job.

Which this is. Will MD still be able to cover the Olympia somehow?

Should they?

I don't think so.

YIP
Zack

Okay, I got it.  I agree.  Why should they cover the show?  They should because it is what is best for the athletes.  AMI is making another shrewed business move here.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
So basically the only press passes issued will be to yes men and those that toe the ifbb line.  it's more and more of a joke every single year. I'd love to see what would happen if the white house banned all journalists that attack the president every day all year long.  reeks of communism, or whatever other ism you want to call it.  Is the ifbb/ami that afraid of the bashing/truth, are they that immature that they will ban a magazine that doesnt like them?  Id the Olympia going to be THAT BAD that they want to be able to control what people hear about it?  Bob, ami, ifbb are all getting to self important, come back to earth already. "company man" doesn't fit you enough, ami rep

Big Ron of GetBig knows what that means when AMI or Manion threatened to revoke press passes.  WHy do you think so much IFBB stuff is on here and why so much IFBB, Manion or Weider bashing doesn't always stay.  Ron got that threat from them.  Also, god Chic why do you lower yourself so much.  Are you seriously that desperate to stay in the IFBB and win another show. Doesn't it get old having to defend the IFBB.  They are a bunch of assholes along with AMI who just can't stand anything being said bad about them.  No matter how true it is. And obviously anything MD said about FLEX and whoever must be true or a slander suit would be pursued.  Hard to sue someone over stuff that is fact.  Man grow some balls. Be a man.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »
All this is is another way the IFBB and AMI want to control the BB industry.  I am pretty sure MD has said thingsin the past but nothing happened. Now MD supports the PDI and now they get no passes.  And who care.  Who was the bright light of the bunch who said "hey lets revoke the press passes of one of the most popular BB publications in the world".  Yea goes to show you right there the kinds of brains this group has.  Chic you fit right n

In it 2 win it

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »
Chick-
As a fellow bodybuilder, you cant honestly be siding with Flex on this one. Flex is junk! So MD bashed flex, were all bodybuilders here and we all know flex is a laughing stock. Big f-ing deal about the comments, grow up. To real bbuilders flex is a joke. MD has never lied, there being punished for exposing the truth. Your a PRO bodybuilder bob, and when your on the crapper and you have a choice between flex and MD, you know damn well what you'll choose to read. Your image is coming off as a serious ass kisser and not an athletes rep. Many of the best bbuilders in the world are part of MD. Thats unfair to them. Thats like saying were not gonna allow the bodybuilding.com booth at the O because you bashed GNC. Its bullshit!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
And what about sponsors who advertise in MD and sponsor the Olympia.  Now no pictures in MD with sponsors logos and booths from the show.  It nice how AMI just took away additional exposure from the sponsors.  Nice move idiots.  God what a bunch of pussies.

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »

FLEX has no problem with criticism-there was plenty printed in MD about the Olympia last year-and no problem-the issue here is the personal attacks, that MD was warned about, and they persisted. This is something that happened far above me, but if they were told it would happen and continued...then how can they be surprised that it happened...case closed.

Other mags have said negative things about the Olympia and they are welcome to come to the show and if there are problems, then I'm sure they will do it again. This is an entirely different issue, not whether or not FLEX thinks that BB should be covered in a different way.

So many people chiming in that don't know the whole story.

C

CD
M&F & FLEX

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
Chick-
As a fellow bodybuilder, you cant honestly be siding with Flex on this one. Flex is junk! So MD bashed flex, were all bodybuilders here and we all know flex is a laughing stock. Big f-ing deal about the comments, grow up. To real bbuilders flex is a joke. MD has never lied, there being punished for exposing the truth. Your a PRO bodybuilder bob, and when your on the crapper and you have a choice between flex and MD, you know damn well what you'll choose to read. Your image is coming off as a serious ass kisser and not an athletes rep. Many of the best bbuilders in the world are part of MD. Thats unfair to them. Thats like saying were not gonna allow the bodybuilding.com booth at the O because you bashed GNC. Its bullshit!

AMEN!!!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »
This has nothing to do with the IFBB, Keith...you have such a hard-on for manion / IFBB that anything that happens, you believe to be some sort of giant conspiracy...

The IFBB doesn't run the Olympia...AMI and Robin Chang do.

No one else has gotten their press passes revoked...Ironman, MMI, Planet Muscle, etc...and they all have commented on how the Olympia was run last year.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2006, 06:22:33 PM »
I'm still cracking up at the tabloid publisher with thin skin.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2006, 06:24:07 PM »
FLEX has no problem with criticism-there was plenty printed in MD about the Olympia last year-and no problem-the issue here is the personal attacks, that MD was warned about, and they persisted. This is something that happened far above me, but if they were told it would happen and continued...then how can they be surprised that it happened...case closed.

Other mags have said negative things about the Olympia and they are welcome to come to the show and if there are problems, then I'm sure they will do it again. This is an entirely different issue, not whether or not FLEX thinks that BB should be covered in a different way.

So many people chiming in that don't know the whole story.

C

I think I understand.

It's just that I believe that stuff like press passes and shit are holy and not to be messed with.

No free dinners or shit like that, no freebies, but the usual press passes should be available for all press in some form.

They may not be able to get the number of journalists into the event they want, but limiting or banishing altogether as a means of warfare, I just don't like that.

There are other ways.

And no, I don't think it's about penalizing MD for supporting PDI. I just think it's a personal beef.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »
Chick, I know you're the athlete's rep and only have the athletes best interests in mind.

Do you feel that only allowing one magazine to interview and photograph them backstage wil limit some guys' earning potential?

I only ask because FLEX doesn't interview guys who are endorsed by MD, right?  There are going to be ten men backstage who will receive near zero coverage.  With supplement companies vying for the guys who get the most exposure, being an MD athlete can hurt a lot of athletes pocketbooks this year.

If they request it, will you be filing a petition on behalf of the 10+ MD guys at the O to have this ruling reversed so that IFBB athletes can earn the most money possible?

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »
Peter's own comments from his PBBW show: "I've often been asked why I don't reply to MD, there's a few reasons: First I don't think the readers are interested.  They don't pay money to see magazine editors blasting each other. Secondly, their level of criticism is so in the gutter & personal that I wouldn't reply and give it credibility. For Flex to respond would be like Ronnie Coleman taking time to fire back at criticism from Mr. North Iowa....and fourth, it annoys the hell out of them to not respond.  There's no feud"

So what happened to that way of thinking?  What happened to the so called high road?
So because David Pecker has his feelings hurt Flex decides to climb off its mountain and revoke Mr North Iowa's press pass.