Author Topic: Iraq to Take Control of Armed Forces  (Read 3843 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Iraq to Take Control of Armed Forces
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:25:50 PM »
It's going to be difficult to steal their oil when we don't have control of their government or armed forces. 

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Re: Iraq to Take Control of Armed Forces
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »
I'm sure the CIA will just add it to their opium-raising, Wall Street-funding, pipe-laying, urban-center-destabilizing, mass-hysteria-creating activities.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
We're not stealing anything.  It is our infrastructure which manages the oil process.  You don't need guns or legislation to make the rules when it's your company managing the pipelines.  Use your head bro.  Nice little PR battle going on this week in case you haven't noticed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »
I'm sure the CIA will just add it to their opium-raising, Wall Street-funding, pipe-laying, urban-center-destabilizing, mass-hysteria-creating activities.

Al, you're funny.  You're scared to commit to any position publicly, you disappear anytime I make an ironclad point or point out a glaring hole in the official story, and you mock the information about the CIA which is, I'm afraid, the sad truth.

You can go ahead believing that Wall St. runs on the hard work of Americans, that we're doing everything we can to win the War on Drugs, and that the poppy fields aren't back at 100% under karzai.  I'll stick with the much less comfortable truth ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:39:41 PM »
We're not stealing anything.  It is our infrastructure which manages the oil process.  You don't need guns or legislation to make the rules when it's your company managing the pipelines.  Use your head bro.  Nice little PR battle going on this week in case you haven't noticed.

Hey we agree on something.   :) 

So the government's company is managing the Iraqi pipelines?  Which government company might that be?  And who is selling the oil and receiving the profits from those sales?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
Hey we agree on something.   :) 
So the government's company is managing the Iraqi pipelines?  Which government company might that be?  And who is selling the oil and receiving the profits from those sales?  

There are a handful of US corporations who won bids and now manage the digging, the shipment, and the financial transactions of Iraqi Oil.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:44:26 PM »
Oil companies reluctant to invest in Iraq

Friday, July 07, 2006
AP
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - In Iraq's peaceful north, a trio of foreign oil companies have begun classic wildcat exploration, hoping a gusher of black gold will bring them untold wealth.

But the companies are little-known outside the industry - something that's unlikely to change until security improves. And the deals they have cut with the Kurdish regional administration bypassing the central government leaves them in a murky legal situation.

More than three years after the U.S.-led invasion, no big oil company has stepped forward to spend the huge sums necessary to tap Iraq's giant oil reserves and get crude flowing and revenues pouring into Iraq's government to help pay for food, jobs and even medical care.

"It will take a lot more to bring in the big guys," said Sharif Ghalib, a senior analyst with Energy Intelligence Research in New York.

None is likely to start prospecting until company chiefs feel reasonably assured that their workers won't be sent home in coffins and that their investments have legal protection that won't be taken away by a new government.

"We are interested and they are interested. But we need those conditions in place to take it to the next level," Shell Oil Co. President John Hofmeister told The Associated Press. "It's too soon to make a judgment on how close we are. I suspect we could be a few years away."

The government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is eager to get them in quickly. Even with the resources of major oil companies, it would take at least five years to dramatically boost production and refining.

"Of course we want major foreign oil companies to come into Iraq. We need funds and we need technology," said Assem Jihad, spokesman for the Oil Ministry, which has called for up to $20 billion in investment.

But big companies like Shell and ConocoPhillips won't budge until Iraq has a law governing oil-sector investment and figures out just who owns the country's underground oil.

The constitution is frustratingly unclear on whether mineral wealth is controlled by the central government or the largely Shiite and Kurdish regions where it is found.

No less important, Iraq has no legal guidelines for foreign investment in the oil sector. Al-Maliki's government hopes to issue a hydrocarbons law this year that sets parameters for foreign involvement in oil fields, refineries and pipelines, Jihad said.

"The majors are especially hesitant about the constitution. It's so ambiguous," said Neil Patrick, an Iraq analyst with the Economist Intelligence Unit in London. "It's still not clear who they deal with and who makes the decisions."

The Kurdistan regional government, for example, views the legal gray area as an opening to bring in foreign companies to develop fields, over the objections of the national government in Baghdad.

Exploration by Norway's DNO, Canada's Heritage Oil and Britain's Sterling Energy is soon to start or already under way, with DNO reporting a modest discovery.

Al-Maliki appears intent on quashing such regional claims on oil resources and bringing them under Baghdad's control. But to do that, the Shiite prime minister will have to alienate key Shiite and Kurdish allies.

That is a tall order, said Muhammad-Ali Zainy, an energy economist at the Center for Global Energy Studies in London.

"I sympathize with him," Zainy said. "To come up with a truly national plan, he has to rid himself of the political parties surrounding him - including his own party."

An even bigger worry is security. The government claims U.S. and Iraqi troops can protect foreign oil companies from insurgent attacks, but analysts note rebels routinely sabotage oil infrastructure.

Some oil majors would probably be willing to work in Iraq before the insurgency is quelled - if Iraq creates a clear legal framework. But big oil would probably follow the lead of the three smaller companies by limiting its presence to the safety of the northern Kurdish lands.

That won't do much to quench global oil demand. Kurdish fields aren't nearly as lucrative as Iraq's giant southern oil fields, home to around 85 percent of the country's 115 billion barrels of crude reserves.

In the meantime, Iraq's hobbled oil sector limps along.

The Oil Ministry announced last month that crude production had risen to 2.5 million barrels a day, its highest level since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. But the country's No. 2 oil shipping terminal, on the Persian Gulf at Khor al-Amaya, caught fire and remained closed last week.

"This chaotic situation will not continue forever," Zainy said. "There will be a solution.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:44:57 PM »
Soros Watchdog to Monitor US Use of Iraqi Oil 
by Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS - Billionaire investor and philanthropist George Soros said on Tuesday he was setting up a watchdog group to guard against any abuses in how the United States manages Iraq's oil resources while it occupies Baghdad.

Soros, at a news conference at U.N. headquarters, also said he hoped Iraq would not repay all its foreign debt stemming from Saddam Hussein's years in power, in order -- he said -- to discourage the practice of lending money to dictators.

"I personally would favor not paying in full the debts incurred by the Saddam Hussein regime," Soros said. "I think that would send a very healthy signal to the financial markets and others that extending credit to dictatorships is not without risk."

Citing reports that a handful of U.S. corporations were winning huge reconstruction contracts from Washington without competitive bidding, Soros said many people around the world feared the United States might abuse its authority while it and close ally Britain occupied post-war Iraq.

"It is very much in the interest of the United States to allay these fears, and we want to help," he said.

A U.S.-drafted resolution pending in the U.N. Security Council would give the United States and Britain wide-ranging powers to run Iraq and control its oil industry until a permanent government was set up, a process that could take years.

GREATER U.N. ROLE SOUGHT

Soros -- an outspoken critic of President George W. Bush's doctrine justifying a preemptive war against any country the United States deems a threat, as occurred in Iraq -- said he planned to set up a watchdog group because the draft resolution failed to provide sufficient safeguards.

He called on the Security Council's 14 other member-nations to press for changes in the draft that would give the United Nations a greater role in monitoring Iraq's oil exploitation during the occupation, and he encouraged the United States to fully disclose all it was doing with Iraq's oil resources.

But U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte later told reporters the resolution required no additional safeguards.

The draft, he noted, would create an International Advisory and Monitoring Board, composed of representatives of the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the Arab Fund for Social and Economic Development and the World Bank.

"So I don't think that there need be any concern about the transparent manner in which these funds will be dealt with," Negroponte said.

The United States is pressing for a vote on Thursday on the resolution, which would establish a development fund within the Iraqi central bank to administer Iraq's oil revenues.

All proceeds from oil sales would go into the development fund until an "internationally recognized" Iraqi government was set up. The monies would then be "disbursed at the direction" of the United States and Britain, in consultation with an Iraqi interim administration that has yet to be set up.

The resolution would shield Iraq's oil revenues and the development fund from lawsuits, except in the case of an ecological disaster such as an oil-spill. This is the usual practice for a fund administered by the United Nations but not one over which the world body has no power.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »

More than three years after the U.S.-led invasion, no big oil company has stepped forward to spend the huge sums necessary to tap Iraq's giant oil reserves and get crude flowing and revenues pouring into Iraq's government to help pay for food, jobs and even medical care.

You mean we haven't tapped into their reserves?  How that can be?  I mean, the whole reason we went to war was to steal their oil in the first place. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
There are a handful of US corporations who won bids and now manage the digging, the shipment, and the financial transactions of Iraqi Oil.

A handful of U.S. corporations are selling Iraqi oil and funneling the profits to the U.S.? 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »
Al, you're funny.  You're scared to commit to any position publicly, you disappear anytime I make an ironclad point or point out a glaring hole in the official story, and you mock the information about the CIA which is, I'm afraid, the sad truth.

You can go ahead believing that Wall St. runs on the hard work of Americans, that we're doing everything we can to win the War on Drugs, and that the poppy fields aren't back at 100% under karzai.  I'll stick with the much less comfortable truth ;)

1. You wouldn't know an ironclad point if it fell on you . . .

2. If I disappear, it's b/c like most people, I actually have some other things that can make some call on my time

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
You mean we haven't tapped into their reserves?  How that can be?  I mean, the whole reason we went to war was to steal their oil in the first place. 

We don't steal their oil by pumping it into our rowboats and sailing it home.  
We create an advantageous situation for firms who are assigned to manage the flow of Iraqi resources. The oil will always be theirs.  but the markup on the management of the oil will be where several large us corps, a few mgmt groups, and a few families will make out like bandits. Longterm contracts with advantageous benefits for our groups, agreed to by a puppet regime more concerned with other ethnic groups in today's iraq than what effects these contracts will have on their economies 10 years from now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 03:04:52 PM »
We don't steal their oil by pumping it into our rowboats and sailing it home.  
We create an advantageous situation for firms who are assigned to manage the flow of Iraqi resources. The oil will always be theirs.  but the markup on the management of the oil will be where several large us corps, a few mgmt groups, and a few families will make out like bandits. Longterm contracts with advantageous benefits for our groups, agreed to by a puppet regime more concerned with other ethnic groups in today's iraq than what effects these contracts will have on their economies 10 years from now.

A handful of U.S. corporations have a long-term management agreement to manage the pipelines agreed to by a puppet regime.  I see.  So we went to war so a handful of U.S. companies could obtain management agreements.  I wonder who came up with that idea?  Contracts can be broken at any time.  The dispute would be resolved in an Iraqi court.  Sounds like a dumb plan if you ask me.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
A handful of U.S. corporations have a long-term management agreement to manage the pipelines agreed to by a puppet regime.  I see.  So we went to war so a handful of U.S. companies could obtained management agreements.  I wonder who came up with that idea?  Contracts can be broken at any time.  The dispute would be resolved in an Iraqi court.  Sounds like a dumb plan if you ask me.    

LMAO @ "Contracts can be broken at any time.  The dispute would be resolved in an Iraqi court."

Let's see... the prez comes from a family with a very sweet repationship with the Saudi Oil princes. The VP got a $36M payoff from haliburton before entering office and has a nice "consultant" position waiting fom him the moment he leaves office.  You're welcome to do your own research on the relationships between Bush I, the former CIA head, and Israeli groups in the area.

Come on dude, you think it's just a series of monster coincidences?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »
How come Iraq had to import oil again?
Oil isn't being exported yet.

That would mean the war was for reconstruction. That seems dumb.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »

No, the war allowed major firms and groups to acquire strategic positions in the future of Iraq.  You do not need to wear the elected official target or wear military bars in Iraq to profit greatly from its power vacuum.  You just need to be the ones who put the infrastructure in place and secure the power to manage these resources over the next two decades.  it's no-bid, baby! 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »
LMAO @ "Contracts can be broken at any time.  The dispute would be resolved in an Iraqi court."

Let's see... the prez comes from a family with a very sweet repationship with the Saudi Oil princes. The VP got a $36M payoff from haliburton before entering office and has a nice "consultant" position waiting fom him the moment he leaves office.  You're welcome to do your own research on the relationships between Bush I, the former CIA head, and Israeli groups in the area.

Come on dude, you think it's just a series of monster coincidences?

I'm trying to follow the absurd notion that the war was started to steal oil to it's illogical conclusion.  As you can see, it's pretty funny.   :) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »

Precisely.  So now that the "war for oil" argument has been disproved, the argument has morphed to "war for no-bid long-term contracts for a few companies."  That is indeed dumb. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
I'm trying to follow the absurd notion that the war was started to steal oil to it's illogical conclusion.  As you can see, it's pretty funny.   :) 

Why is it funny?  People have started wars for a lot less reason.

Iraq has what, a tenth, of the world's most precious limited good and you don't think it's worth it for a Prez & VP (an oil mogul and a defense contracting god) to fill their pockets a bit while "making these poor people free"?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:39 PM »
Precisely.  So now that the "war for oil" argument has been disproved, the argument has morphed to "war for no-bid long-term contracts for a few companies."  That is indeed dumb. 

It is a war for oil - it's a war for the right to overcharge for the management of Iraq's oil.  make sense?

When you say "a few companies", you are not realizing the scope of operations of these firms.  haliburton does 20B a year in business and works on low margins, but is jacking up the overhead on their Iraq work.  And there are other firms there doing the same thing.  Have you seen the iraqi haliburton fraud charges?  I know, the media here doesn't give that story much love ;)

Anyway, the war served our nations long term interests well, and those of bush and Cheney TREMENDOUSLY. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »
It is a war for oil - it's a war for the right to overcharge for the management of Iraq's oil.  make sense?

When you say "a few companies", you are not realizing the scope of operations of these firms.  haliburton does 20B a year in business and works on low margins, but is jacking up the overhead on their Iraq work.  And there are other firms there doing the same thing.  Have you seen the iraqi haliburton fraud charges?  I know, the media here doesn't give that story much love ;)

Anyway, the war served our nations long term interests well, and those of bush and Cheney TREMENDOUSLY. 

No it does not make sense.  Bush and Cheney were tremendously wealthy before the war.  They were both going to be even more wealthy after they left office, whether we went to war or not.  What did Clinton get for his memoirs?  Hillary?  Bush Sr. commanded like a million per speaking engagement in some instances.  They didn't need the money.  So the argument that Bush and Cheney started a war to become or even increase their wealth is silly.  It's also supported by zero evidence.   

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 06:07:59 PM »
Soros Watchdog to Monitor US Use of Iraqi Oil 
by Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS - Billionaire investor and philanthropist George Soros said on Tuesday he was setting up a watchdog group to guard against any abuses in how the United States manages Iraq's oil resources while it occupies Baghdad.

Soros, at a news conference at U.N. headquarters, also said he hoped Iraq would not repay all its foreign debt stemming from Saddam Hussein's years in power, in order -- he said -- to discourage the practice of lending money to dictators.

"I personally would favor not paying in full the debts incurred by the Saddam Hussein regime," Soros said. "I think that would send a very healthy signal to the financial markets and others that extending credit to dictatorships is not without risk."

Citing reports that a handful of U.S. corporations were winning huge reconstruction contracts from Washington without competitive bidding, Soros said many people around the world feared the United States might abuse its authority while it and close ally Britain occupied post-war Iraq.

"It is very much in the interest of the United States to allay these fears, and we want to help," he said.

A U.S.-drafted resolution pending in the U.N. Security Council would give the United States and Britain wide-ranging powers to run Iraq and control its oil industry until a permanent government was set up, a process that could take years.

GREATER U.N. ROLE SOUGHT

Soros -- an outspoken critic of President George W. Bush's doctrine justifying a preemptive war against any country the United States deems a threat, as occurred in Iraq -- said he planned to set up a watchdog group because the draft resolution failed to provide sufficient safeguards.

He called on the Security Council's 14 other member-nations to press for changes in the draft that would give the United Nations a greater role in monitoring Iraq's oil exploitation during the occupation, and he encouraged the United States to fully disclose all it was doing with Iraq's oil resources.

But U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte later told reporters the resolution required no additional safeguards.

The draft, he noted, would create an International Advisory and Monitoring Board, composed of representatives of the United Nations, the International Monetary Fund, the Arab Fund for Social and Economic Development and the World Bank.

"So I don't think that there need be any concern about the transparent manner in which these funds will be dealt with," Negroponte said.

The United States is pressing for a vote on Thursday on the resolution, which would establish a development fund within the Iraqi central bank to administer Iraq's oil revenues.

All proceeds from oil sales would go into the development fund until an "internationally recognized" Iraqi government was set up. The monies would then be "disbursed at the direction" of the United States and Britain, in consultation with an Iraqi interim administration that has yet to be set up.

The resolution would shield Iraq's oil revenues and the development fund from lawsuits, except in the case of an ecological disaster such as an oil-spill. This is the usual practice for a fund administered by the United Nations but not one over which the world body has no power.

I don't use this language very often (on here).....but FUCK SOROS, that underhanded bastard is one of the biggest liers the Liberals have and 90% of them ARE liers anyway, the only other names that make me cringe as his name are Hillary and my ex-wife. Rob, I can't believe you even quoted this bastard >:( >:(!!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 06:12:28 PM »

in the interest of accuracy--although i don't see why it would matter in an argument w 240--Iraq has pretty consistently been exporting a fairly large amount of crude oil to us . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
I don't use this language very often (on here).....but f**k SOROS, that underhanded bastard is one of the biggest liers the Liberals have and 90% of them ARE liers anyway, the only other names that make me cringe as his name are Hillary and my ex-wife. Rob, I can't believe you even quoted this bastard >:( >:(!!

I agree with your sentiment on him.  I used his quote to provide proof to a_ joker that US firms were indeed involved in rebuilding the Iraqi civilian and energy infrastructure.  Plus, despite my low opinion of the man, haliburton was found to have bilked $1.6 Billion from the US alone.  And this was found after a house Committee investigation.  I don't agree with the man- but I agree with him that firms over there need to be monitored.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 07:04:10 PM »
I agree with your sentiment on him.  I used his quote to provide proof to a_ joker that US firms were indeed involved in rebuilding the Iraqi civilian and energy infrastructure.  Plus, despite my low opinion of the man, haliburton was found to have bilked $1.6 Billion from the US alone.  And this was found after a house Committee investigation.  I don't agree with the man- but I agree with him that firms over there need to be monitored.

Soros has nothing credible to say!!