Author Topic: Last really Romantic thing....  (Read 10663 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Last really Romantic thing....
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »
Wow SF, I'm surprised at you.  Why be in a relationship if the person you are with wants to be with others? 
i view sex as something purely physical and so did she, no big deal, different strokes i guess.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
i view sex as something purely physical and so did she, no big deal, different strokes i guess.
It's only physical and unattached when there is no "emotion" there.  Someone who has feelings for you...isn't going to want that physical attention from another (IMO).

I find it funny that you stated "if she would have let me i'd have done it in a heartbeat".  It's ok for her, but not for you?  Why the double standard?
:D Weee

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
It's only physical and unattached when there is no "emotion" there.  Someone who has feelings for you...isn't going to want that physical attention from another (IMO).

I find it funny that you stated "if she would have let me i'd have done it in a heartbeat".  It's ok for her, but not for you?  Why the double standard?
who knows, you'd have to ask her.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:10 AM »
who knows, you'd have to ask her.
And you have no problem offering her to another man, while she refuses you to be with another woman?
:D Weee

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
I didn't say it serves no purpose, just that it has a certain artificiality to it as romantic situations are almost always contrived and forced.

You're speaking of boxed chocolates and awkward dinners.  That has nothing to do with real romance. 

Just as an aside, do you know the story of Tristan and Iseut? I picked them out of a hat, but tragic tale notwithstanding, their relationship bore all the hallmarks of a true romance.   

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »
let her fucck another guy in front of me, true story.

Zees ees not ze romance!  That's sex.

w8m8

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
You're speaking of boxed chocolates and awkward dinners.  That has nothing to do with real romance. 

Just as an aside, do you know the story of Tristan and Iseude? I picked them out of a hat, but tragic tale notwithstanding, their relationship bore all the hallmarks of a true romance.   

I need to read that story  :D thanks Deedee

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
I need to read that story  :D thanks Deedee

I had spelled her name wrong.  :P  It's usually either Iseult or Isolde.  If you like the tales of Arthur and Camelot... it's along the same vein.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
she wouldn't touch a black dude she thought they were gross...

Squad,

Of course this is her pref but why does she think black dudes are gross? Just curious, I have never heard that before. 
W

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »
almost always contrived and forced ? ... don't become bitter so young

you're not one of the lucky one's yet that's all it says ..what you're going to realize in your life is that what you think now isn't the same thing you will think when you're in that relationship with the woman who flips your switch better than any other person could.

true romance is natural and comes as easy as taking a breath

Of course people change but my primary goal is life is not the propagation of my DNA (though I wholly respect the biological necessity of it for the species) but the acquisition of knowledge. If I were too meet an appropriate female with which I could propagate my DNA I might consider it. Just not one of my great interests to be honest...
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

Just as an aside, do you know the story of Tristan and Iseut? I picked them out of a hat, but tragic tale notwithstanding, their relationship bore all the hallmarks of a true romance.   

Yes, I know the story of Tristan and Iseult. I had to write an extensive research paper on the dispersal of the legend from the Celtic literature (notably the Mabinogion) to the continent, focusing on the Old French and Middle High German development and treatment of the story. I think it was after this episode that decided against philology in favour of pure linguistics.

The story, originally has far less to do with romance than it does the culture and politics of the day. Even if one were to view it through 21st century eyes, it remains nothing more than chains of chemicals shooting through the body in order to produce offspring. Not very impressive to me.

I hate the State.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
Yes, I know the story of Tristan and Iseult. I had to write an extensive research paper on the dispersal of the legend from the Celtic literature (notably the Mabinogion) to the continent, focusing on the Old French and Middle High German development and treatment of the story. I think it was after this episode that decided against philology in favour of pure linguistics.

The story, originally has far less to do with romance than it does the culture and politics of the day. Even if one were to view it through 21st century eyes, it remains nothing more than chains of chemicals shooting through the body in order to produce offspring. Not very impressive to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that story came to mind and you're right. Maybe somehow I associated the long trips at sea with your own travels far away.  Not sure. 

As far as romance goes, maybe it is unnecessary.  But the clothes you're wearing today are probably unnecessary too, since rags would do the job of covering you just as well.  I guess romance makes the difference between living and existing.  :) 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure why that story came to mind and you're right. Maybe somehow I associated the long trips at sea with your own travels far away.  Not sure. 

As far as romance goes, maybe it is unnecessary.  But the clothes you're wearing today are probably unnecessary too, since rags would do the job of covering you just as well.  I guess romance makes the difference between living and existing.  :) 

All depends what you consider 'romance'. You would need to establish a firm definition for a discussion to proceed.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
good stories HM and mbell :)

I didn't say it serves no purpose, just that it has a certain artificiality to it as romantic situations are almost always contrived and forced.

I suppose some romantic situations could be contrived...

I think a "forced" romantic situation would not qualify as a romantic situation though.

But there are many romantic situations that are very spontaneous and even surprising.  Something that I consider very romantic is when one day my husband and I were talking about something and laughing and laughing, he stopped and said, "Have you ever thought we were meant to be together?"   In his wording/inflection the indication was that he believes that we are.  It was dreamy ;D  

Of course people change but my primary goal is life is not the propagation of my DNA (though I wholly respect the biological necessity of it for the species) but the acquisition of knowledge. If I were too meet an appropriate female with which I could propagate my DNA I might consider it. Just not one of my great interests to be honest...

Please do not ever have children with the purpose being to "propagate your DNA."  

Some of us still value romance and have never propagated our DNA.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »

good post!
R

mbell

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 12:49:05 PM »
Something that I consider very romantic is when one day my husband and I were talking about something and laughing and laughing, he stopped and said, "Have you ever thought we were meant to be together?"   In his wording/inflection the indication was that he believes that we are.  It was dreamy   

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I LOVE THIS!!!! :)
M

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
good stories HM and mbell :)

I suppose some romantic situations could be contrived...
I think a "forced" romantic situation would not qualify as a romantic situation though.

But there are many romantic situations that are very spontaneous and even surprising.  Something that I consider very romantic is when one day my husband and I were talking about something and laughing and laughing, he stopped and said, "Have you ever thought we were meant to be together?"   In his wording/inflection the indication was that he believes that we are.  It was dreamy ;D  

Please do not ever have children with the purpose being to "propagate your DNA."  

Some of us still value romance and have never propagated our DNA.

Stella, this is the reason everyone has children though. I don't understand what you mean? ???
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
Stella, this is the reason everyone has children though. I don't understand what you mean? ???

I guess I should have said "with the sole purpose"  .....it's just the way "propagate my DNA" is phrased that makes me think more of simply "breeding" but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.  My bad.
R

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 08:03:10 AM »
Lol at propegating one's DNA.  Deicide, I think you're spending too much time around the demon children.

All depends what you consider 'romance'. You would need to establish a firm definition for a discussion to proceed.

I think everyone is referring to romantic love on this thread.  I guess the dynamic of the relationship would drive whether or not the romantic act was contrived/forced, or genuine.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
Lol at propegating one's DNA.  Deicide, I think you're spending too much time around the demon children.

I think everyone is referring to romantic love on this thread.  I guess the dynamic of the relationship would drive whether or not the romantic act was contrived/forced, or genuine.

:D :'(

Yes. I fear it is true though I tend to think in such a manner anyway.

At the moment, exhaustion and sheer hatred of my work are clouding my judgement with regards to DNA.

Romantic love is not something very interesting; 5 years of romance and a year of painful, financially costly divorce is not pleasant...

How about we talk about the socially sanctioned and accepted form of domestic slavery otherwise known as marriage?  ;D
I hate the State.