Author Topic: BYU Professor on Paid Leave for 9-11 Theory  (Read 2788 times)

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
BYU Professor on Paid Leave for 9-11 Theory
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:52:31 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=476951

BYU Professor on Paid Leave for 9-11 Theory
September 8th, 2006 @ 6:59am

Gene Kennedy Reporting

A controversy over words at BYU this morning. According to a copyrighted Deseret Morning News article, a professor is on paid leave for suggesting the government is responsible for the destruction of the World Trade Center.

The man on paid leave is Dr. Steven Jones. He's a physics professor involved in the so-called "9-11 Truth Movement."

Jones believes unnamed government agencies orchestrated the fall of the twin towers and he says there's evidence to back it up.

Two weeks ago he published his theory in a paper called "Why Indeed did the World Trade Center Buildings Collapse?" In it, the professor says the towers fell not because of planes hitting them but rather pre-positioned demolition charges.

He cites research conducted at BYU on materials from ground zero, asserting those materials show evidence of thermite, a compound used in military detonations. He says terrorists could have never set those charges.

The State Department has released a rebuttal to Jones' theory in a 10-thousand page report.

BYU made this statement last night.

"Physics Professor Steven Jones has made numerous statements about the collapse of the World Trade Center. BYU has repeatedly said that it does not endorse assertions made by individual faculty.

"We are, however, concerned about the increasingly speculative and accusatory nature of these statements by Dr. Jones."

The university added, "BYU remains concerned that Dr. Jones' works on this topic has not been published in appropriate scientific venues."

It is rare for some in Dr. Jones' position to be under review because he has taught at BYU for more than two decades.

He began his career at the university in 1985 and has been known for his cold fusion research. Other professors will teach his classes while he's on paid leave.

He will be allowed to conduct research in his field but the university is reviewing his actions.
Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: BYU Professor on Paid Leave for 9-11 Theory
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »
Good! 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:00:16 PM »
Good, meaning he'll be on paid leave, or good that he can continue his field research?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »
Good, meaning he'll be on paid leave, or good that he can continue his field research?

Good meaning he will not be polluting the classroom with this nonsense and will have to do his research using his own resources.  And good, meaning BYU is protecting the integrity of their institution.   

If he's a tenured professor he has a job for life.  He'll to have rape a student in the classroom to lose tenure. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 02:31:20 PM »
The reason is that Jones has been going on more and mroe major circuits/avenues with his evidence.

Jones tested pieces of metal from Ground Zero.  He discovered residue of thermite, thermate (thermite with sulfur) and nanothermite, a military grade explosive agent.  BYU has been under political pressure from the govt and this only gives the guy more press for his cause.

Like it or not, the man says he has concrete evidence that the towers were brought down by explosives.  And no govt official will debate him, and they cannot dispel the findings of his chemical analysis.  They put out a rebuttal but they will not test any of the metal they saved to prove him wrong.

That's all he wants - get some of the metal out of one of the numerous exhibits and test 6 ounces of it using an independent testing, and make the analysis public.   They will not.  And beachy, you can call it nonsense, but what if he DOES have proof explosives were used?  Wouldn't that open up a pandoras box of 1) who used explosives and 2) why did the govt refuse to test it?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »
The reason is that Jones has been going on more and mroe major circuits/avenues with his evidence.

"Physics Professor Steven Jones has made numerous statements about the collapse of the World Trade Center. BYU has repeatedly said that it does not endorse assertions made by individual faculty.

"We are, however, concerned about the increasingly speculative and accusatory nature of these statements by Dr. Jones."

The university added, "BYU remains concerned that Dr. Jones' works on this topic has not been published in appropriate scientific venues."

He is speaking out of field. He isn't a structural engineer or materials scientist.

Studies on Cold Fusion. ::) He has little crediblity.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »
Right. Cold fusion seems like a simple enough subject that any of us should be able to publish papers on the subject.  Now understanding something as complex and building demolition... ;)   You doubt his credibility - have you studied physics for 20 year? Um...

Dr Jones has put forth some pretty compelling arguments on:
Symmetry of the collapses
Speed of the collapses
Characteristics of dust jets
Reports of molten metal in the debris piles
Failures of the official collapse theories

The fact is, you have your opinion and he has his.  I won't hold your lack of a phd against you - I am sure you can counter his argument, point-by-point, if you wanted to.  But the fact of the matter is this - WTC 7 was bruoght down in a controlled demolition.  This 47-story skyscraper fell in under 7 seconds, from 500 feet of concrete and steel, to less than 30 feet of rubble, in its own footprint.   Explosives were used. To argue that a fire did it, that it was hot enough to melt (not weaken - melt!) all of the the support columns and all 47 floors at the exact same instant - without breaking the windows, as you see with hot fires...

well, one of two things happened that day.  Either the laws of physics took the day off three times to bring down those buildings, or explosives were used.  You have your opinion, I'll go with a phd and my own eyes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »
And beachy, you can call it nonsense, but what if he DOES have proof explosives were used?  Wouldn't that open up a pandoras box of 1) who used explosives and 2) why did the govt refuse to test it?

He doesn't have proof of something that didn't happen, so I'm not worried about Pandora's Box.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »
The Cold Fusion can't be reproduced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

As for having a physics PHD, what does that have to do with structural engineering or materials science.

- WTC 7 was bruoght down in a controlled demolition.

You don't have any evidence other than your video to back this up. Maybe you should wait until someone with a STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING PHD makes a report.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 03:57:59 PM »
He doesn't have proof of something that didn't happen, so I'm not worried about Pandora's Box.

it's okay man.  I used to be the same way. 

Question - have you studied the actions of NORAD that day?  have you read about them intentionally holding orders, then, once they found the planes and were able to shoot them down, they ordered the planes to fly a quarter top speed and take the long way to get there.

That goes far beyond incompetence.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 04:38:18 PM »
As for having a physics PHD, what does that have to do with structural engineering or materials science.

You don't have any evidence other than your video to back this up. Maybe you should wait until someone with a STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING PHD makes a report.

I think that a man with the brainpower to earn a phd in physics just might understand things like building demolition. 

joker, would you support an examination of some of the remaining WTC metal for explosive residue?  There is still plenty left, it could be done with a very small sample, and it would shut up Dr Jones and he'd stop getting coverage.

Oh that's right - he's wrong, but you wouldn't support proving him wrong.  Awesome.  Diss him but refuse to test one piece of metal.  LOL... pawn.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 11:49:50 AM »
I think that a man with the brainpower to earn a phd in physics just might understand things like building demolition. 

brainpower - probably yes.

training and experience? - no.  that is not his area of expertise.

Earning a degree in a particular area means nothing about being an expert in a totally different area.

eg. I have an honours biology degree.. that does not mean that I could be a chemist without taking a whole lot of more advanced training and experience.

Just because I passed a few university level chemsitry courses (first and second year level) does not mean I could be a professional chemist in a chemistry lab, for example.

this is no different than this guy.

Flower Boy Ran Away

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 11:56:37 AM »
There is a million dollars on the table sponsored by millionaire Jimmy Walters, offering the $ to anyone who can prove the WTC was NOT explosives.

Take him up, Hulkster!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »
Just because I passed a few university level chemsitry courses (first and second year level) does not mean I could be a professional chemist in a chemistry lab, for example.

This man had chemical analysis run on material from the towers.  Evidence of explosive residue was found which would only be there if a highly explosiev agent was used. 

The govt refuses to publicly allow any of the metal to be tested.  And don't give me any BS about "the victims families" cause many of them are begging them to test the materials.

One test of a pound of metal would show if explosives were used or not.  It would just shut everyone up and prove this guy wrong.  They have tons of it left over in exhibits and their labs.  What not test one pound of it to prove the guy wrong?  He has, seriously, tens of thousands of peoplel who believe him completely about the evidence.